Runescape Strategy in Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Ruinel

Defender of Derp
So anyone who plays Runescape is aware of the basic strategy of:
Archery against magic users
Sword against rangers
Magic against sword

Do you think this would be a useful strategy in Skyrim or other TES games? Is this the strategy you use in most RPGs?

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
Sword against rangers
Magic against sword

Do you think this would be a useful strategy in Skyrim or other TES games? Is this the strategy you use in most RPGs?

This is a pretty good strategy, especially the swords against rangers part. Archers tend to be really weak up close and personal because they favor long-range combat; however, the magic against sword part could be debated. Yes, that would work with wards and such, and swordsmen's shields don't block magic (unless enchanted) so destruction magic would work :) I think your strategies seem sound.

Ruinel

Defender of Derp
Sword against rangers
Magic against sword

This is a pretty good strategy, especially the swords against rangers part. Archers tend to be really weak up close and personal because they favor long-range combat; however, the magic against sword part could be debated. Yes, that would work with wards and such, and swordsmen's shields don't block magic (unless enchanted) so destruction magic would work :) I think your strategies seem sound.

I personally don't use this strategy, this is more theoretical. I agree that the magic against sword would be the weakest of the three, simply because I find it harder to level mages quickly enough to where I don't get killed easily. Is this a common strategy in RPGs? I've never heard of it outside of Runescape, but it does seem like it would work decently if you don't mind switching weapons all the time.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Sword against rangers
Magic against sword

I personally don't use this strategy, this is more theoretical. I agree that the magic against sword would be the weakest of the three, simply because I find it harder to level mages quickly enough to where I don't get killed easily. Is this a common strategy in RPGs? I've never heard of it outside of Runescape, but it does seem like it would work decently if you don't mind switching weapons all the time.
Runescape is unique in that it gives MASSIVE bonus damage for magic versus armour, armour versus ranged, and ranged versus magic. That system isn't really present in other games.

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
Sword against rangers
Magic against sword

It really depends on your level, the level each skill is, the opponent, the opponent's armor and weapons and skills... there's a lot of factors that contribute to it but it really depends on how you play it :)

Chadonraz

Sword against archers doesn't sound too great, if you ask me.
IMO archery against archers is better, and a lot more fun. :D

Currently I'm using archery against everything, except when he/she/it is within an arm's length. Working great, especially with poisoned arrows.

Never played Runescape, so I'm only talking about Skyrim.

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
assassin is answer too all, as long as not spotted LOL.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Wait, I thought the only strategy in RuneScape was to do a bunch of menial tasks, make the most money from them that you can, buy some sort of ridiculously expensive mask, and parade around calling people poorer than you "n00b"?

Clau

The Fateless One
I like the Archery against magic users especially when up against high level mages. Bow damage + sneak multiplier + buffs can one shot them. But if you get discovered, an ensuing shootout between bow and spell will take place, that I find entertaining.

That said, I currently roll a 2H warrior Nord and having trouble with high level necromancers and their firepower.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
I don't think you can consistently apply any rules in Skyrim. Each opponent has a different level of difficulty. Some go down like milkdrinkers and others give you a run for your life, and you can't tell by looking at them what they're going to do. I suggest the Borg strategy: adapt.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts