Info RP'ers READ! Suggestion: RP'er Resume & Buddy/Mentor System

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

What do you think would help the RP community on these forums?

• I believe the resume is a great idea. It can help form a good roster and keep a game alive.

Votes: 8 61.5%
    • I believe the resume is a good idea. However there could be some conflict and in fighting.

Votes: 5 38.5%
    • I believe the resume can help some, but not all problems. I like my idea. (Please give idea below)

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • I think the resume is a horrible idea. Allowing someone(s) to control reputation is a bad idea.

Votes: 1 7.7%
    • I have a different idea entirely. (Please give idea down below)

• I have an idea to add to the Buddy system. (Please give idea down below)

• I like the idea of a Buddy system.

Votes: 6 46.2%
    • I do not like the idea of a buddy system/I have something better. (Please give idea down below)

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
    First things first, the root of all this. It first started with this post:

http://skyrimforum.com/sf/threads/looking-for-some-people.75032/#post-1875171

Read that before reading further in this thread or voting on the poll. You don't have to, but it's recommended. Unless you already were in that thread of course, which... would mean you would read something that you already partook in. So.. yeah. Also, you will read this thread or at least skim through it before voting on the polls. This poll will only be open for 2 weeks. That's plenty of time to get at least a few voters and a general idea of the forum community's thoughts on this.

Anyway! On to professional matters at hand.

If you have read the thread posted and are caught up with the suggestion, then I shall get down to the nitty gritty.

The problem with many RPs and RP'ers is, again, discussed in that thread. A resume would help organize and help select a group of people. A buddy/mentor system would help encourage new players or players that don't have much experience but need a confidence boost or extra help/advice on RP'ing could have a mentor/buddy. I got this idea from my school. Which is a shocker. Nevertheless it worked and I figured it could be implemented.

There also needs to be discussion and RP IDEAS. Bad plot lines, good plot lines, what fits, what doesn't fit. An active discussion. However we already have that on the stickied topics in the Role playing section. However, doesn't mean there can't be a core discussion thread. Think about that as you wish.

Now, to the point of this thread.

First off. Many people that read the thread posted are asking: What would the resume look like?

RESUME LAYOUT:

Name: PinkCandyCornPony
    Experience In Rp: You can fill this out however you want. (Number of estimated RPs, genres, Open/closed rps, RP on other forums, etc). Some have suggested to give yourself *'s to rate yourself. If you plan to do this, do it on a 1 star to 5 star scale.
    Experience in other writing fields: This is exactly how it sounds. Do you write fanfics? One shots? Non-fiction works?
    Genres you like: What kind of RP you would like to be in. Action, horror, sci-fi, etc.
    Genres you do not like: Pretty self explanatory.

Types of people you like RPing with: What people you would get along most with. A tiny detail but having a good team that is happy with one another can help make or break a RP.
    References/Reviews: Like and actual resume for a job, you have references. With this, reviews and people you referenced who RP'd with you will be listed. You can reference people/fellow rp'ers. However, reviews will be put in by other people. I will explain this down below. Note: you can also rate them with stars like in the Experience section. Just do it on a 1-5 scale.

----------------------

Now, you can put even more details in your resume. No, don't put your favorite color, your favorite number, or other stuff like music, movies, etc. That has nothing to do with RP'ing. So let me make this clear. If it has NOTHING to do with RP'ing or help your resume in this field, DO. NOT. PUT. IT. DOWN.

This is just a basic layout. The bare minimum. But you are free to add anything you wish that will give another person an idea about who you are as a RP'er and if you would be a great addition to their role play team.

I said I would explain the review thing and I will do so now. If you have read the posted thread through then you have a fairly good idea on how it will play out. This does not mean it is set in stone. This thread is to help make it better if possible and discuss what will make or break it. We are a community and thus people should get to share their ideas and concerns.

This includes the concern about reviews. Some are concerned this would end up like a Prom King or Queen contest. A popularity contest of sorts. I'll make this very clear. It is NOT that. In fact, if you are all honest in your reviews of each other and help out each other in areas that need to be worked on, this benefits EVERYONE. And hopefully, make RP's last longer.

The review system is based on the fact if they are responsible, well behaved, mature, etc. And no. This does not mean you can bash another person to get back at them after having a fight.

How so you ask?

As mentioned in the thread, one MUST have evidence to support their claim on a review. You can have more than one evidence in this case. However, I'm stuck on choosing whether you can scrap up ANY and ALL evidence you can find on the forums about this person, or ONLY list YOUR EXPERIENCE with the person you are reviewing. You can discuss that down below as you wish.

In order to write a review you can PM what is called the Keeper. The Keeper will have a doc to keep track all reviews/resumes. This person needs to be VERY responsible. That means they must back up the file in case their computer crashes or they accidentally lose the file somehow. They must also not be biased and fair. That means they cannot change reviews of other people because they are friends or enemies. I don't get why you would because that would damage the community, but if you are feeling extra crusty and want to be a class A jerk, then fine. Just know that you are hurting not only yourself, but the entire community.

When you PM the keeper you will give out the details of your experience. This does not have to be a negative experience. You can limit yourself to one review per RP with the person. However, multiple incidences can happen in a single RP which conflicts with this limit. You may discuss this down below.

After you detail your experience with the person, you will provide evidence. How? Perhaps you only want one post to be linked... Down below each post there will be a # and a number. Next to it there is also another way to get a link. If you click the # use the top link in your evidence.

The keeper will then look over the post and if needed, any pages before the incident and after the incident at that time to make clear of the circumstance. If all is clear, he/she will update the Resume on the doc.

Note: You may request that your review be anonymous. This can avoid conflict and tension, as well as favoritism.

The Keeper: How it works

In order to keep this working, not only does the keeper need to be fair and responsible, but they have to be active. They also have to have a way to quickly access a Resume.

Say someone requests someone(s) that like Action RP's. You'll probably think: "how the heck am I going to go through all of these?" Tags. There is a search/find word feature by pressing ctrl+f. So for example we will go back to the Resume Example above:

Name: PinkCandyCornPony
    Experience In Rp: ***, 5 role plays
    Experience in other writing fields: Blog posts
    Genres you like: Action, Sci-fi, Comedy/humor
    Genres you do not like: romance, horror

Types of people you like RPing with: Funny, easy going people. Talkative.
    References/Reviews: JoeBlow, PaulaLovesCandy, PrincessButtercup

(reviews here)

Tags: Action, Sci-fi, Comedy/Humor, ***

------------------------

Use Tags that help link the Resume. Or in other words, sum it up. Very simple, no?

Concerns about keepers revealing resumes:

There are concerns where after handing out a resume even via PM, those people will share it with the person in question. That means the reviews.

Again, this only hurts you and your community if you abuse it. However, some good can come of it. Like Angies List (never used it myself but I've seen it plenty of times), along with other customer sites, a person can look up reviews of themselves. This is where the Keeper comes into play. They will not, under ANY circumstances, change your review. If the review is there, that means there was enough evidence to put it on your resume. That does not mean you should pout or scream. You can turn it into a good thing. Have an anger problem? Talk it out. Have an issue with another player? Talk it out. Have issues with posting times? Talk to the OP/RP creator and TALK IT OUT. I can't stress this enough. This is meant to improve the community and those within it. It's not meant to hurt people.

However you can all improve upon this system but again talking about it in this thread.

Now, onto the buddy system. You can discuss on how to deal with this down below. My proposal?

-Make a new thread and keep a mentor's and apprentice list
    -Perhaps have special listings on rp'ers resumes that they are new. This may intrigue mentors that have their own RP, or have someone on their team that is a listed mentor and would ask if they would like to take them on. This means that there would be NO mentor or apprentice list thread in public. It would all be on the resume and thus, private.
    -If a mentor/apprentice thread is made, have a Table of Contents and have mentors share tips and have them linked on the first post. JoeBlow may provide a tip in regards to writing fluently. The thread would then be updated to include the topic. If more than two tips of the same topic are in the thread, the posts would be linked next to the topic listed on the ToC. Like a book or a reference book.

Those are basic ideas on that.

Now onto the big one. You must decided who to nominate for being Keeper IF and ONLY IF most of us agree on the idea of a Resume. I may or may not decide to recycle this thread and turn it into the Resume guide thread for future use. (If I can edit the title) Nominations will be listed at the top of the page. Numbers however, I will keep to myself to avoid a popularity contest. Unless you have enough time to read every single post and count up all the votes or nominations, I doubt a lot of people are going to do that. But just remember:

-This person should be trusted on a MODERATOR status. Yeah. Those moderators? They have to be trustworthy and responsible for that status. Those people are good examples.
    -This person also must be very active or fairly active at least on the forum itself. Should be noted that they are indeed active on the RP section as well.

You are trusting this person to be fair and just for the RP community. This isn't a PROM vote. But this isn't a Presidential election. All I ask is to please take it seriously. It's the community's heart that's on the line after all.

---------------------------------------------

Questions to think about and discuss:

-How to improve both systems overall
    -The limit of reviews per person/role play
    -What reviews should qualify: ie, only evidence that supports a claim from one RP, or gather all evidence that can be gathered on the person on the forums
    -How the rating system should play out
    -Discussion on bad/good rp ideas, or perhaps a new thread based on it entirely
    -Any other concerns or ideas that have not been explained already (READ THE THREAD BEFORE YOU POST/ASK)

Thank you, and that is all. Post away and please be creative!

Last edited:

Wolfbane

Why change the past when you can own this day?
    I actually like this idea. I'm really into roleplays, but I want ones that are great and last a while. This should also help teach newcomers as well. This way a new blood won't be mixed in with the seasoned vets and feel like they are a bad writer. We've all been there. We just don't like to talk about it :p

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
    I actually like this idea. I'm really into roleplays, but I want ones that are great and last a while. This should also help teach newcomers as well. This way a new blood won't be mixed in with the seasoned vets and feel like they are a bad writer. We've all been there. We just don't like to talk about it :p

Because a group of noobs (including myself) is way better. I'd rather be in a group of seasoned vets, that do support me instead of a group of new people where no one really knows what they're doing.

Kaelbu

I think both the resume and buddy system are great ideas, but how would the latter work exactly? Would there be a list of experienced RPers that new people could PM to help them during a RP? Or a way a new person can make it known they want a buddy (like a spot in a "buddy/mentor" thread, or in the resume thread) and an experienced RPer can reach out to them?

Dabiene Caristiana

It would probably end up MAYBE, being a thread and someone can request to be a mentor that is available. They would go on the mentor list. Someone who is looking for a mentor can either PM the person they want as a mentor on the list, or they can request it in the thread, tagging that person's name so they know to look at the thread of course.

So it would look something like this:

MENTORS:

Joe - Currently Mentoring: Kathy
    Bob - Currently Mentoring: Ashley
    Bill
    Mason
    Carly

--------------------

The mentor can mentor more than one person of course, if they can handle it. We could also make a list right underneath of people looking for a mentor but not sure who to ask for specifically.

There is also the option of a person wanting to mentor that they can write next to their name what they can focus on in terms of mentoring, such as writing fluently, punctuation, how to write in third/first/second person, and so on.

Those are just MY ideas. People can add to them as they wish or take away, so that the system works better for everyone, or just about anyway.

Glad you asked! :)

OnlyThePie

I'd suggest that if a Mentor is willing, maybe host an RP for several new players? That could be helpful, though maybe a bit chaotic. But learning together might be easier. I like the Resume idea, though I don't nearly have time for being the Keeper or anything like that, though I doubt you'd volunteer me anyway:p

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
    This is a good idea just because it gives people the chance to write a resume in a less stressful field than job searching.

It was a well thought out and written article, so even if it hurts my chances of getting in.

Dabiene Caristiana

I'm curious as to who thinks it's a bad idea. I'd like to know their opinion on this in regards to why they think it is, in a more... in depth explanation.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
    I'm curious as to who thinks it's a bad idea. I'd like to know their opinion on this in regards to why they think it is, in a more... in depth explanation.

You had an option for the poll, then you could've seen which user voted what option.

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.

Good call, though I highly doubt someone would actually come forward and post for the entire community to see. Now a PM would obviously be more plausible. But you're right, can't imagine anyone NOT liking this idea. Though again, if one doesn't like it, one shouldn't participate then. Meh, that probably makes too much sense. :confused:

Balomew

If those that are not fond of the idea would step up, then we could build on their advice and constructive criticism to make the idea more plausible for everybody. I'd go as far to say that the people that dislike the idea are some of the most important people for a thread like this one. So, people, please step up and tell us why you think what you do. It's important for everyone.

Dabiene Caristiana

You had an option for the poll, then you could've seen which user voted what option.

Unfortunately I didn't see that option. Would've been very useful indeed.

And Balomew is right. If we can't discuss all the pros and cons and what the community thinks, then we can't make this better.

You can PM me or someone on here about it and discuss it privately or we can have an open discussion which everyone can build on. It's up to you. Otherwise, if we don't know what your concerns are, and also fix them, then we can't solve or ease those concerns. Hence, we would have to most likely discard the vote. Which I DON'T want.

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
    For this purpose, I'd say an open discussion is way better.

Dabiene Caristiana

Not much action going on here. Not good. Have 5 more days left people before the polls close.

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
    Not good indeed, Dabiene. If nothing else, it does kinda tell us all we need to know about the pulse of RP nation. Or lack thereof, as the case may be. :sadface:

Dabiene Caristiana

I was afraid of that. However, the buddy system can still be implemented. Which is a good thing.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts