Spoiler RP Controversy - The Companions -

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
I want to point out it is unhealthy to want to kill all of them. And that simple revenge would be killing who actually killed them.

And note revenge is just killing. To torture is an evil thing. And honestly the DB does it for fun. And there may be a justification as to why you are having a nocturnal adventure.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I want to point out it is unhealthy to want to kill all of them. And that simple revenge would be killing who actually killed them.

And note revenge is just killing. To torture is an evil thing. And honestly the DB does it for fun. And there may be a justification as to why you are having a nocturnal adventure.
???? What?

I'll admit that it's not healthy to want to kill all of them, but who said my characters are healthy. Agree that revenge would be to kill those responsible, but, in the case of an animal, how would you know which specific animal it was?

I agree that torture is an evil thing. While I do agree that the DB does it, I do not believe the do it for "fun" only. There is always a purpose (treasure, information, etc...), the Silver Hand does it because they like to make werewolves suffer. That's it. Just to make them suffer. At least I could respect them if they just killed the were's as the Vigilan does to vamps.

What "justification" can there be for your wife and children to be wandering around a place like SR late at night? Even if there was, you'd think there would be some sort of precautions taken. Plus, you know what you're in for if you do wander about SR at night. It's SR for goodness sake! Not Sunshine Valley of the Pixie Stardust. It's bad enough wandering around in the daytime and trying to stay alive. What, did you wife and kids decide to go visit grandma in her cabin up in the mountains on a larf at 10 o'clock on a Mundas?

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
SR? I dont know what that stands for. But in Skyrim (which is one word) There would be many possible reasons as to why you could out at night. Especially with the rural villages.

And you are be to focused. Hell you could be at camp and a werewolf could come. And there are always stories of hunting down a feral beast. Often it would have a mark that you would notice. Or even mannerisms. Skyrim is limited in presentation but you have to apply such subtle things. If you were that obsessed that you would consider taking revenge you would know which creature it is.

Daelon DuLac

SR? I dont know what that stands for. But in Skyrim (which is one word) There would be many possible reasons as to why you could out at night. Especially with the rural villages.

And you are be to focused. Hell you could be at camp and a werewolf could come. And there are always stories of hunting down a feral beast. Often it would have a mark that you would notice. Or even mannerisms. Skyrim is limited in presentation but you have to apply such subtle things. If you were that obsessed that you would consider taking revenge you would know which creature it is.
Sorry. Not an excuse for me. In real life or in game I cannot justify hunting down a wild creature for doing what comes naturally to them. Particularly not hunting down ALL members of that particular species (or at least all I can find). It's Skyrim, so you'd have to know that being out at night (or in the daytime for that matter) is a dangerous situation. At night you may run in to a werewolf (or, in my case, my werewolf might get ya in the daytime too), or you can run in to any of the myriad of other critters that you might run in to in the daytime too (sabrecats, wolves, etc...).

Of course I also wouldn't hunt down every vamp I could find or every bandit I could find just because a particular vamp or bandit killed my family &/or friends because I wasn't paying close enough attention and taking proper precautions.

Sure, revenge is sweet, but only if you take out a target, not make a target out of every one of the same type you can find.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
I feel like you are acting like I am arguing your points though we are on the same side. And I think you can't justify it but it isnt a reasonable hate. MY prime example would be Captain Ahab from Moby Dick. Just because the world is dangerous doesn't mean that most people would shrug it off as "if happens." And I never mention taking on all the members of what particularly harmed you. Like I said you can know who exactly wronged you and find them. And even if it is instinct you would have to recognize that "They are a danger" which is what makes the Silver Hand an evil faction. Since they are just pure racists in that they dont care if you are a feral wolf or not.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Now that you mention it... they are not really an official organization, more like a makeshift priest-made militia to counter the daedras since the oblivion crisis. Maybe they are an offspring of the Knights of Stendarr? Those do have many temples around High Rock and Hammerfell.

The Vigil of Stendarr do illegal things, killing Daedra worshipers is murder. Daedra worship isn't outlawed, it's just not encouraged.

It's a bit embarrassing to admit this, but I realized while reading this post that the Vigil of Stendarr must REALLY hate Orcs. Like, all Orcs. Do they raid Orc strongholds periodically or something?

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
It's a bit embarrassing to admit this, but I realized while reading this post that the Vigil of Stendarr must REALLY hate Orcs. Like, all Orcs. Do they raid Orc strongholds periodically or something?

Doubtful, Orc's are notorious for violence. Not to mention raiding a Stronghold would be suicide, they're like a little fortress protected by the meanest son's of bitches known to Tamriel.

Did you know it once took a thirty year siege to remove Orcs from their first Kingdom? Probably would take an army to raid a stronghold. Even then, the odds aren't in your favor...

I feel like you are acting like I am arguing your points though we are on the same side. And I think you can't justify it but it isnt a reasonable hate. MY prime example would be Captain Ahab from Moby Dick. Just because the world is dangerous doesn't mean that most people would shrug it off as "if happens." And I never mention taking on all the members of what particularly harmed you. Like I said you can know who exactly wronged you and find them. And even if it is instinct you would have to recognize that "They are a danger" which is what makes the Silver Hand an evil faction. Since they are just pure racists in that they dont care if you are a feral wolf or not.

Stormcloaks are racist too, true, they don't always kill races they dislike, but they're extremely racist. Yet everyone thinks they're the good guys.
So are the Dawnguard too, they slaughter every single vampire they find and purposely hunt them down, yet they are considered the good guys.
There is no true evil or good in Skyrim, it's all up to you and your character. We don't even know anything about the Silver Hand, yet you just shrug them off as terrible and saying having them joinable would ruin the game. (Someone said that, maybe not you. Not sure) Anyway, they could have a huge backstory we don't know about. A reason for their hatred of werewolves and vampires, likely it'd be a better reason than the one the Dawnguard has. Yeah, RIGHT NOW it looks like the reasons and actions are the same. But we know the Dawnguard's for sure, there's not any canon lore I know of relating to the Silver Hand.
Also, even if you do consider them evil, remember, there's plenty of those who gladly play evil characters all the time.

The Dawnguard are praised for fascist genocide, yet the Silver Hand are insulted and hated when we know nothing of them. Yeah, they attack "anyone" who comes by, but you have to realize, they don't show up in your game until you become a werewolf (I don't think they do anyway), so obviously they would attack you. The Silver Hand could likely be much better than everyone thinks, the developers just didn't flesh them out enough, I'm hoping they do next Elder Scrolls game. I really like the Silver Hand, I think many of my characters would gladly join. (And others of mine would gladly slaughter them.)
On the topic, I also find myself sympathizing with many bandits. I mean, "some" of them did become bandits by choice, but others probably had no choice. They probably had no other way to support their family and needed to start stealing. Once they got caught, they broke free, then they had to hide in the wilderness as a bandit to stay free. Many times I'll hear bandits say "Just one more good haul, then I can pay off my fine..walk into the city a free man..." So bandits aren't always mindless marauders. (Granted some of them are.)

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.

Doubtful, Orc's are notorious for violence. Not to mention raiding a Stronghold would be suicide, they're like a little fortress protected by the meanest son's of bitches known to Tamriel.

Did you know it once took a thirty year siege to remove Orcs from their first Kingdom? Probably would take an army to raid a stronghold. Even then, the odds aren't in your favor...

Hah, I love the Orcs. It does explain why I've encountered the Orc who wants a "good death" within shouting distance of some strolling Viligants. Probably too cowardly to test their metal against a real warrior.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Stormcloaks are racist too, true, they don't always kill races they dislike, but they're extremely racist. Yet everyone thinks they're the good guys.

Let me stop you there with

just saying should check the Imps and Stormies thread to show the error of your ways...
:p Some of the people who support I wouldnt even call good people funny how that works.

Let me stop you there with

just saying should check the Imps and Stormies thread to show the error of your ways...
:p Some of the people who support I wouldnt even call good people funny how that works.
Of course I don't mean everyone, but the majority of the people who play Skyrim side with the Stormcloaks, not realizing that the Stormcloaks are extremely racist and it's their fault the Thalmor are even in Skyrim. (Before this little "uprising" the Imperials never did enforce the law against Talos worship." )
What I'm saying is, at first glance, a group can seem to be extremely good with no bad at all, but when you actually look into it you realize it's truly the opposite. Very bad with little good.
Such as with the Silver Hand, at first they seem like mindless genocidal killers, but we don't know enough about them to make a fair judgment.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Since what you know is all your information on them is all the information on them... well... You have enough information and gotta go with the canon information.
And let's face it they are more one dimensional than bandits.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Since what you know is all your information on them is all the information on them... well... You have enough information and gotta go with the canon information.
And let's face it they are more one dimensional than bandits.

Is it me or is this the most confusing post I've ever read?

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...

So are the Dawnguard too, they slaughter every single vampire they find and purposely hunt them down, yet they are considered the good guys.
There is no true evil or good in Skyrim, it's all up to you and your character. We don't even know anything about the Silver Hand, yet you just shrug them off as terrible and saying having them joinable would ruin the game. (Someone said that, maybe not you. Not sure) Anyway, they could have a huge backstory we don't know about. A reason for their hatred of werewolves and vampires, likely it'd be a better reason than the one the Dawnguard has. Yeah, RIGHT NOW it looks like the reasons and actions are the same. But we know the Dawnguard's for sure, there's not any canon lore I know of relating to the Silver Hand.
Also, even if you do consider them evil, remember, there's plenty of those who gladly play evil characters all the time.

The Dawnguard are praised for fascist genocide, yet the Silver Hand are insulted and hated when we know nothing of them. Yeah, they attack "anyone" who comes by, but you have to realize, they don't show up in your game until you become a werewolf (I don't think they do anyway), so obviously they would attack you. The Silver Hand could likely be much better than everyone thinks, the developers just didn't flesh them out enough, I'm hoping they do next Elder Scrolls game. I really like the Silver Hand, I think many of my characters would gladly join. (And others of mine would gladly slaughter them.)
On the topic, I also find myself sympathizing with many bandits. I mean, "some" of them did become bandits by choice, but others probably had no choice. They probably had no other way to support their family and needed to start stealing. Once they got caught, they broke free, then they had to hide in the wilderness as a bandit to stay free. Many times I'll hear bandits say "Just one more good haul, then I can pay off my fine..walk into the city a free man..." So bandits aren't always mindless marauders. (Granted some of them are.)
no the silverhand are their from the start

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage

The Dawnguard were reformed after a large number of Vampire attacks, and the destruction of the Hall of the Vigilants. Then you have a Vampire prophecy discovered later on that threatens to block out the sun. Vampires the Dawnguard hunt are doing bad things.

The one major difference between the Dawnguard and the Silver Hand. They are lawful and are protecting innocents. If you're a Vampire, you find they attack you holding a legal document from the Hold's Chieftain (Jarl).

Good and evil is a point of view, however the Dawnguard have the law mostly on their side.

The Dawnguard were reformed after a large number of Vampire attacks, and the destruction of the Hall of the Vigilants. Then you have a Vampire prophecy discovered later on that threatens to block out the sun. Vampires the Dawnguard hunt are doing bad things.

The one major difference between the Dawnguard and the Silver Hand. They are lawful and are protecting innocents. If you're a Vampire, you find they attack you holding a legal document from the Hold's Chieftain (Jarl).

Good and evil is a point of view, however the Dawnguard have the law mostly on their side.
The Dawnguard was started before the Vigilants being attacked, and I mean, everyone's calling the Silver Hand terrible because they attack all werewolves/vampires without caring if specifically that one did anything to them. Which is exactly what the Dawnguard does, they hunt down all vampires regardless of their actions.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Is it me or is this the most confusing post I've ever read?

Yeah I wrote this pretty late and night and was obviously delirious.
Basically all we have in canon for information is that they are genocidal and torturous people with a psychopathic hatred of werewolves.

The Dawnguard was started before the Vigilants being attacked, and I mean, everyone's calling the Silver Hand terrible because they attack all werewolves/vampires without caring if specifically that one did anything to them. Which is exactly what the Dawnguard does, they hunt down all vampires regardless of their actions.

They seem pretty chill about Sybille Stentor, and judging from the little side quests they give you they are actually targeting specific vampires who are either trying hide among the people for whatever reasons though it would seemingly involve trying to feed and such. And you notice the Dawnguard gets really active when there are vampire raids "occurring" all over Skyrim.
And as it is has been said. Dawnguard have a history as well as a very official purpose, they aren't hiding in the wilderness like common bandits attacking anyone (And yes they have been attacking my non-werewolf and are called bandits when you aren't even doing the quest).

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage

The Dawnguard was started in the Second Era, but was starting to reform when Vampire attacks increased, it was fully reformed after the Hall of the Vigilants had been attacked. The Dawnguard hunt those who for the most part cause harm. The majority of Vampires in Skyrim are feral, and are attacking settlements.

The difference between them is the Silver Hand also kill unarmed civilians, and for the most part torture all their captives. Even those who aren't cursed with lycanthropy. If that isn't a reason to call them terrible?

The Dawnguard hunt only Vampires, who also have the law on their side in doing so. The majority of Vampires they hunt in Skyrim are ones who are doing bad things, such as trying to manipulate Jarls and have orders to make them Vampires.

The Silver Hand are overzealous at best, and are little more than bandits in their activities preying on innocents not afflicted.

Daelon DuLac

But... but... I have always said that the Stormcloaks and Dawnguard are badguys! along with the Vigil and the Silver Hand of course. Genocide is not a good thing! Vamps are people too (dead people, sure, but people). And Were's a people too (okay so maybe not people at the moment, but people none the less). And races other than Nords are people too (okay, lesser, smarter, less violent and drunken people, but people none-the-less) (okay, maybe Mers aren't people, especially those damn Dunmer... they're just evil looking! :))

Hmm... may I should play a Stormcloak affiliated Werepyr that joins the Dawnguard and hangs out with the Vigil hunting Daedra! Talk about a challenge (to my mental health). :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts