Spoiler RP Controversy - The Companions -

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

conchvegas

Aravis, deadly archer
It also doesn't make much sense that she'd be allowed into the Companions :p

Ah well. Didn't quite think it through, but what's done is done so I'll try and make the best of it. I'm new to the whole RPing thing, as I haven't RP'd with any of my previous characters, so I'll allow for a few mistakes.:D
Actually, I've changed my mind. I'm going to carry through with the questline for a few reasons. Number one: I don't like leaving questlines unfinished. I've done it so now I ought to finish it. Number two: I'm following other RPing rules such as no fast travel, regular sleep, and not using any exploits to level up faster. Number three: she'll avoid other questlines such as the bard one and the school of magic because she doesn't deserve to become the top mage. Number four: If I can't use a little imagination in letting my Khajiit become a werewolf and have to stick by someone else's rules of realism for RPing, then it's stopped being my game. It is just a game after all, and my game, so I'll play by my rules if I so choose to.
P.S. She's already a walking, talking feline with breasts, so that's a stretch of imagination already. P.P.S. Are her breasts covered with cat hair?:p;)

Thargan the Red

You can play however you want :3 It won't be lore-wise realistic and a bit weird o_O
Also if you also noticed how short it is the questline fo the Companions i can suggest to get the mod Enhanced Factions - Companions, it will make it more realistic (longer). I mean... you appear one day, and you go from whelp to harbringer in less than a week...

Some of my characters join the Companions only to leave them behind once they find out about the infiltration of beast blood. It's an important part of some of their stories, where they learn not to be so naive and to see things for themselves before passing judgement.

Also, you mention that the "grey-beards" are affiliated with the Companions. The Greybeards are the followers of the Way of the Voice at High Hrothgar. It is the Stormcloak-supporting Grey-Manes who are affiliated with the Companions; Eorlund works the Skyforge (but isn't a Companion) and Vignar is more of a public figure these days and doesn't seem to do much except drink at Jorrvaskr saying he was a Companion "once". Skjor fought in the Great War, so there is some history with war among the Companions' previous experience.

They claim not to be interested in the war due to it being borne out of politics and petty squabbles, although I'd expect that if Skyrim was united and attack by the Dominion, the Companions would fight against them to protect a united Skyrm.
I would love a mod where you could choose to deny the beast blood and quit the Companions when you find out the truth, and then a Silver Hand courier invites you to join the Silver Hand.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
I mean it would be cool. But then you realized the Silver Hand are not good guys in any sense of the word. Where the companions are neutral, they cross into a very darker grey since I hesitate to call them black.

From what we see the Silver Hand are basically Genocidal Rasists. Ignoring The Skinner all together.

Thargan the Red

Technically the Silver Hand are good guys, they kill the werewolves that kill the people in Skyrim. Kind of fanatics but overall chaotic good. The Companions are neutral chaotic in this case, they don't run amok killing people but the Silver Hand doesnt really know it, at least not until they kill Skjor and notice his armor (?).

Technically Aela turns chaotic evil when she starts her little crusade to kill ALL of the Silver Hand. I mean, it's fine anyway, the Vigilants of Stendarr are out there and they kill all deadric worshippers, including werewolves (even though they were reduced in number due to the vampire's attack).

But still, i dont think the Silver Hand should be treated as antagonists in any way, maybe the lack of understanding when it comes to the diplomatic part. Even though Sinding is the only one that actually talks, that doesn't means The Companions cannot talk it out... before transforming of course. It would be nice to find a mod with that, and if it fails... well, we have Aela to run a party with Silver Hand-themed piñatas.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Good guys? That is always a very relative term. I want to point out they dont discriminate in there discrimination. If they think you are a werewolf you are either tortured killed and skinned. Hopefully in that order. The Silver Hand know the Circle are werewolves. And want to kill them for it.

When you first meet them they say "If he wears that armor he dies" to Farkas (Which must be a bug because in my game he is wearing steel armor.)
And revenge is more an Anti-hero/ neutral alignment.

The Silver Hand are presented as vengeful for whatever reason as Aela, though Aela doesnt torture as they are shown to do. Basically that shows an "eviler" disposition than the Vigilants who are simply killing Daedra and there influenced.

I want to also note that Antagonist simply means one who opposes the "main character" so I think you should use the term villain. Since if you joined them they would be the protagonist without noting moral character.

EDIT IN: Here is what the wiki says in Trivia which has a similar thoughts as we are having. The other are about gameplay and other such fun facts.

• Silver Hand lairs are often adorned with the severed heads of werewolves impaled on stakes and mounted on walls. Implements of torture can also be seen, as well as caged werewolves that will attack you if you try to free them, having been driven mad by the Silver Hand's cruel treatment.
  • They could be considered anti-heroes, seeing how their cause is noble, but have a tendency to come to blows with The Circle, who could also be seen as good.
  • Furthermore, their anti-heroism can also be attributed to the fact that most members of the Silver Hand are usually hostile towards the Dragonborn or passer-by, even if they are not Werewolves.
  • The Silver Hand is similar to the Vigilants of Stendarr, as they both hunt forms of daedra.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
"If he wears that armor he dies" to Farkas (Which must be a bug because in my game he is wearing steel armor.)
I always thought that odd too. Unless they have some weird hatred for guys wearing steel armor too and maybe didn't even know he was a werewolf.

:D

Thargan the Red

Good guys? That is always a very relative term. I want to point out they dont discriminate in there discrimination. If they think you are a werewolf you are either tortured killed and skinned. Hopefully in that order. The Silver Hand know the Circle are werewolves. And want to kill them for it.

When you first meet them they say "If he wears that armor he dies" to Farkas (Which must be a bug because in my game he is wearing steel armor.)

The Silver Hand are presented as vengeful for whatever reason as Aela, though Aela doesnt torture as they are shown to do. Basically that shows an "eviler" disposition than the Vigilants who are simply killing Daedra and there influenced.

I want to also note that Antagonist simply means one who opposes the "main character" so I think you should use the term villain. Since if you joined them they would be the protagonist without noting moral character.

EDIT IN: Here is what the wiki says in Trivia which has a similar thoughts as we are having. The other are about gameplay and other such fun facts.

• Silver Hand lairs are often adorned with the severed heads of werewolves impaled on stakes and mounted on walls. Implements of torture can also be seen, as well as caged werewolves that will attack you if you try to free them, having been driven mad by the Silver Hand's cruel treatment.
  • They could be considered anti-heroes, seeing how their cause is noble, but have a tendency to come to blows with The Circle, who could also be seen as good.
  • Furthermore, their anti-heroism can also be attributed to the fact that most members of the Silver Hand are usually hostile towards the Dragonborn or passer-by, even if they are not Werewolves.
  • The Silver Hand is similar to the Vigilants of Stendarr, as they both hunt forms of daedra.

You are certainly right in there sir.

Like I said though, they are sort of fanatics. We all know fanatics are extreme on whatever they do, in this case, hunting down werewolves and since just hunting isn't likely enough, well... there you have.

About antagonism, yeah well... I used it since I was taking the side of The Companions when i was phrasing it, so yeah it depends on which side you are on. Anyway both have their goods and wrongs, if you kind of dislike daedric influenced stuff, then you might think the Silver Hand is "more" right than The Companions. If you think that brutal methods when hunting is dishonourable or unnecessary, then the Silver Hand will be more evil. It's matter of point of view really.

My best guess would be that the Silver Hand is formed by Vigilants of Stendarr that were overly cruel with their methods, ex-soldiers/bandits and mostly people that suffered losses from werewolves attacks... or just plain hatred for the crazed beasts. The evil factor when mixing them with The Companions would be the fact that even knowing the Circle are werewolves, they don't talk it out at all... the Silver Hand hunts werewolves no matter if they are concious and even good, or bloodthirsty beasts that feed on the people.

And while that's not really a good thing, I still think Aela has been a bit more than influenced by the curse. In my opinion I dislike how she worships Hircine, not really the way of a true Nord warrior. But then again... Dunmer, Imperial and Redguard in the Companions...

These kids today... piercings, tattooes, turning into werewolves... It's that hip hop I tell you. They've forgotten the old ways, the ancestors would be fighting in some war, killing elves and drinking mead till they fell... now they are all on skooma and that sugar thing.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
If you think that brutal methods when hunting is dishonourable or unnecessary, then the Silver Hand will be more evil. It's matter of point of view really.

My best guess would be that the Silver Hand is formed by Vigilants of Stendarr that were overly cruel with their methods, ex-soldiers/bandits and mostly people that suffered losses from werewolves attacks... or just plain hatred for the crazed beasts.

And while that's not really a good thing, I still think Aela has been a bit more than influenced by the curse. In my opinion I dislike how she worships Hircine, not really the way of a true Nord warrior. But then again... Dunmer, Imperial and Redguard in the Companions...

Aye the fact we have no details about them kinda implies either another thing that was failed to be fleshed out or just they are that one dimensional group.

As for Aela. I think the only real influence the curse seems to have had is a bigger sense of kinship. Expressed by her deep relationship with Skjor. Honestly based off her title and her history is more of a hunter than a "true Nord Warrior." Her ties to the Companions seems like a family obligation than anything to me anyway.

The werewolves victims banning together makes the most sense for their story. Though I will believe they are just another half realized idea.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Vigil of Stendarr are fanatics. Technically they're also illegal fanatics, and don't appear to be officially sanctioned like the Order of War and Order of Inquisition was.

Though they're still cool.

Thargan the Red

Vigil of Stendarr are fanatics. Technically they're also illegal fanatics, and don't appear to be officially sanctioned like the Order of War and Order of Inquisition was.

Though they're still cool.

Now that you mention it... they are not really an official organization, more like a makeshift priest-made militia to counter the daedras since the oblivion crisis. Maybe they are an offspring of the Knights of Stendarr? Those do have many temples around High Rock and Hammerfell.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Now that you mention it... they are not really an official organization, more like a makeshift priest-made militia to counter the daedras since the oblivion crisis. Maybe they are an offspring of the Knights of Stendarr? Those do have many temples around High Rock and Hammerfell.

The Vigil of Stendarr do illegal things, killing Daedra worshipers is murder. Daedra worship isn't outlawed, it's just not encouraged.

Thargan the Red

Yeah well, if you take it to that extreme then they should kill most people in Tamriel, there are entire races that worship daedras like the Dunmer, they worship Azura. But they don't go around killing people do they? The only things I've seen the Vigilants killing were dremoras, werewolves and vampires... and we all can agree that they are not the most pacific creatures in Tamriel.

So even though they are not "official", they are kind of organized. And for all we know, we can't really say they are illegal... there is a lack of information related to them so we can only speculate according to the facts. And personally I don't see how killing beings that run amok and kill anything in sight is in any sense bad. They may be a bit obsessed with the cleansing of daedric influence, but they are not savage barbarians like the Silver Hand, you can actually talk to them.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?

Well that explains why I have no issue killing the Silver Hand (even if I'm not a werewolf). I loathe the Vigilant of Stendarr and kill them at every opportunity (and the Thalmor for that matter) on every character. Just can't stand a zealot (unless of course it's me!).

In the long run, the Silver Hand are far, far worse than any werewolf or the Vigilant for that matter. Only the Silver Hand and the Thalmor get off on torture, and, at least the Thalmor can justify in themselves that they are doing it for information purposes. What is the Silver Hand's excuse? It's not like they can get any info from a Werewolf.

I would kill them regardless of my affiliations. I've never run in to a werewolf that was doing anything that didn't come naturally to a were (i.e. hunting and killing prey) that wasn't a member of either the Companions or one of the packs on Solstheim.

Heck, to me, even the Vamps and DB are a cut above the Silver Hand. They torture with a purpose. The Silver Hand just does it to get off, and that is truly EVIL!

Thargan the Red

Heck, to me, even the Vamps and DB are a cut above the Silver Hand. They torture with a purpose. The Silver Hand just does it to get off, and that is truly EVIL!

If a pair of crazed werewolves attacked your family and slaughtered them all and you watched it, you would want to hunt them down and make them suffer hell before killing them. Unless you are jesus, that guy forgives everything.

Daelon DuLac

If a pair of crazed werewolves attacked your family and slaughtered them all and you watched it, you would want to hunt them down and make them suffer hell before killing them. Unless you are jesus, that guy forgives everything.
Probably. I wouldn't hold it against a pair of mountain lions doing the same thing and certainly wouldn't go and try to hunt down every lion I could find. Maybe it's just me. Besides, if my family was wandering around the hinterlands late at night knowing that such a thing might show up, they probably got what they deserved. Sorry, I know it's cold, but stupidity is your own fault, regardless of whether they are my family or not. Besides, family is like toilet tissue - Once it's been flushed, it's not like you can't buy some more. Now vamps doing the same thing? Heck yeah! I'd hunt down the individual vamps and do 'em in (but not all vamps).

Daelon DuLac

Dang that's messed up...
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ;)

Like I said. I'm cold. Guess being an East Coast Wasp of Norwegian extraction left me with something lacking - like a heart. :sadface:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts