Roleplaying in Skyrim

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Sky High

Resident of Earth and Wonderland
Skyrim is a great game and for a reason. There's a multitude of ways to play it that cater to the wants of multiple types of people. One way to play Skyrim that I've always found enjoyable is roleplaying. Roleplaying really helps you get into you get into your character and the spirit of the game. If you wish to begin roleplaying in Skyrim and inevitably add a load of fun to your playing, here are a few tips to help you get started:

1. Know your character: Before you begin another life as an adventurer, you should know everything about your character before you begin. Give your character a history. Give your character a personality and a set of morals. Make your character into a person. This sets up a firm foundation for you to begin roleplaying.

2. Decide your factions: No character other than a "god" character would realistically be able to join every faction there is. While making a "god" character once or twice can be fun, it gets very boring as far as roleplaying goes. This is also an important step in defining your character. For example, a law-abiding Nord paladin with a strong moral system would probably have no business joining the College of Winterhold, Dark Brotherhood, or Thieves' Guild. He would, however, be a perfect fit for the Companions or the Civil War.

However, that isn't to say that you can't join a faction that would typically be against your character's personality and morals. Take the Dark Brotherhood of Oblivion, for instance. If your character despised the College of Winterhold, you might join it so you could one day destroy it. The main thing of importance is that you stay in-character with your character.

3. (Optional) Do not fast travel: This one is more of a personal choice, but it is a choice to consider. I, for one, find that walking or going on horseback everywhere adds fun to the game. You encounter things you wouldn't otherwise, you feel immersed in the beauty of the land of Skyrim, and you even level your combat skills by attacking the various creatures you encounter travelling.

However, realistically, a "no fast travel" playing method isn't for everyone, but you can compromise. If you have to go from Solitude to Riften, consider going by carriage or fast traveling to Whiterun or Windhelm, and then walk to Riften.

4. Have fun: Roleplaying is just a method to have fun. If you aren’t having fun roleplaying, maybe it just isn’t for you. You could also change things you don’t like about roleplaying to make the experience more fun for you. Roleplaying is all about you. So go out there and have fun in Skyrim. I hope this article will help you do just that.

Also, feel free to leave your own tips and suggestions in the comments. This article was written just to cover the basics of roleplaying. It is nowhere near complete. Have fun, guys! :D

Ordo

Professional Hammer-er
I also find it enjoyable to imagine your life after fulfilling your Dragonborn duties and death. For my main character, he lives as a model citizen, but is a cold blooded killer in secret, so when he dies, his personality splits and becomes a Divine and a Daedra.

Neriad13

Premium Member
The one point I disagree with is knowing everything about your character before beginning the game. Danger and adventure changes a person. One can be an honorable soldier one day and next, become a mercenary surviving on blood money. The line between these extremes are very thin. Or perhaps that character came to Skyrim in order to discover who he really was in the first place.

Pete

Sky High brings out a great point: role playing the character adds immeasurably to your experience.

It is absolutely essential to create a birth to initial capture (game start) story in your mind. This story should include loves, hates and why you left home. This forms your core being and governs your characters mores. Think of things like starvation that necessitated cannibalism, imperial raid on your village, etc... Don't forget to consider your character's racial bigotry - as it is a real part of Skyrim.

The first time player may want to consider visiting various cities and factions to get a basic feel for things (use the carriage for that). Experiment with magic and various weapons. Then start a new character and get intense. After that game plays out, start a new character of a different race and begin anew.

I honestly believe a character should never join a faction that's opposed their beliefs - as the moral contradiction is ultimately self destructive. I consider higher level NPC's of factions as very perceptive of members and would ferret out a liar.

J290Jack

Blogger
I agree with Sky High. My character is generaly a good man, but he joined the theives guild to get back at them. But he ended up not getting back at them because he relized that they were sort of like a family and when the other bad peeps stepped out of line the theives guild corrected them.

Another thing I would like to add is that I even eat Breakfest, Lunch and Dinner ingame. It can be hard to remember but it helps your RPing. And if you dont have the extra coin to buy the food chop wood and sell it. Also, I never ever fast travel and I always go to sleep at night, unless im out night hunting. I usualy rent a room at an inn or sleep in a bandits bed roll.

RPing is the hole point of Skyrim. Skyrim gives you so many RP experiences and abilities so use them!

treasurehunter

Lol.... Whut?
I like the idea of sleeping at night. It's something I've always minded to do. If you're running places, it's good to check out little crevaces and corners around the road, there are usually hidden camps just out of view. I even found a horse at one of these camps, which proceeded to follow me wherever I went. :D

Ykcor

RPing sounds like a blast.. but it would seem tough to stay "in character" throughout the masses of a game like skyrim..
Like at first.. i wanted to see ALL the game had to offer, so I did every quest possible (or most of the faction quests) and when i was playing i started thinking about how my character made ZERO sense. For example: I did a quest for the companions where I had to rescue some farmer boy from a cave and return him home. No more than 10 minutes later I was slaying a retard (narfi) for the dark brotherhood.. LOL I might try role playing real soon. otherwise i'll get bored with the game.

Emilia

the scorpion rises under the balsamic moon
i am finding this to be very true, my character is an elf and i guess i see her as having trouble "fitting in" with the nords and being genuinely excited to see other elves around skyrim, trying to connect and being more trusting with them...

Epsilon

Shaun
ive put some though into this, it seems fun but also maybe a little too detailed. Such as having your character eat the right meals and always sleeping at night. I love questing at night, but i guess i still dont get it all the way even though its something im thinking about trying im just completely new to it. Is it time consuming to RP? Do you post every activity you do? I know i could come up with a story for my character easily but its the rest im still a little lost on

treasurehunter

Lol.... Whut?
ive put some though into this, it seems fun but also maybe a little too detailed. Such as having your character eat the right meals and always sleeping at night. I love questing at night, but i guess i still dont get it all the way even though its something im thinking about trying im just completely new to it. Is it time consuming to RP? Do you post every activity you do? I know i could come up with a story for my character easily but its the rest im still a little lost on
I don't know. I read previous forums, where postings said it was all down to personal preference.
My character, for example, will seek out camps and inns for a place to sleep right around 7:00PM (there are beds in some dungeons as well, so it's nice to have a rest especially if you don't feel like using potions to heal yourself after a harsh battle).Also, she eats when she's only minorly injured.
Whenever she enters a city, she'll change to a piece of clothing and boots and even unequips her weapons.
She doesn't follow a strict breakfast, lunch, dinner routine; but I'll make her eat a piece of bread and some wine (3 or 4 bottles) if her journal says she'll like to eat something.

Edit: So really, it's just how you like it. You're playing for yourself, so there's no logic behind playing by someone else's rules. I've used the forums for insight and opinion, maybe even a little advice, but really, I've been deciding the character's personality since she got arrested by the Imperials. :)

Ulfric's bane

I like role playing with my battle-mage elf, however in order to get every shout in the game you must join many factions to get the associated shout therefore making it less like my character's personality, which annoys me :)

Rex Prime

Premium Airtcle Writer
Yes, keeping yourself in-character by not joining some factions is hard. I try to keep him but i can't, the good factions after all are the Companions and College of Winterhold. The bad ones are Theives Guild and Dark Brotherhood, but the Theives are not as bad as the Dark Brotherhood.

Dauthmer

i think skyrim is complex enough that there aren't any "good" or "bad" factions. The Dark Brotherhood are assassins, and have their own set of morals, which in a world like skyrim makes sense! if you guys are RPing then forget your morals from school and think like skyrim.

I made an all round character to try and started a new one. I think that what makes it fun is playing him as you would act were you in his place, not imitating some generic personality. but thats just me.

My guy is know for being Dragon-born and harbinger of the Companion's, as well as destroyer of the Dark Brotherhood, but isn't known for being the leader of the Thieve's Guild, so he seems perfect, but that is just his cover-up half. It isn't fake about being harbinger and destroyer, but that is what he is known for, so it makes a good cover for his crime life. He has become very interesting as I have played him out.

My current character doesn't have much of a backstory... I like the idea of eating breakfast lunch and dinner, though. I'd have to get a longer days mod, or I'd surely forget, or just not have enough time in the day!

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
My first playthrough, I had what I now know is considered a "god" character—I said yes to everything. Joined every faction and did every quest I came across, good, bad, and ugly. I wanted to experience it all, with total disregard to what my character would realistically do.

But one of my current characters has a backstory. I also have a detailed game-story for her, as I'm writing a fanfic that takes place over the course of the game. Of course, I can't play out the entire story in-game, but keeping it in the back of my mind as I play is giving the game an entirely new level.

My other current character doesn't have a backstory, but I am playing the game with great consideration to her race and alignment. She's a Bosmer, so I'm making her an archer and conjurer of familiars. I was also very intrigued to discover this tidbit of Bosmer lore: "As part of their Green Pact, they are religiously carnivorous and cannibalistic, but do not harm vegetation of Valenwood (though they are not averse to using wooden or plant-derived products created by others)." As such, she will not pick any flowers, mushrooms, or other plants for use in potions, nor will she eat anything but meat. Should be an interesting challenge.

I am enjoying playing these characters much more than that first "god" character. Roleplaying truly does make Skyrim a better and fuller experience!

Minstrel

Queen of Evil
I think most people on their first character create a 'god' It is hard not to as you just want to experience everything. Personally I think it is good to have one play through to experience everything because that way you know what you want.

I have been RPing for a while now and find it a lot more enjoyable than just running around doing whatever quests I like. My character is a High Elf Thalmor who has joined the imperial legion to corrupt them after her group was killed by nords. The only thing I find annoying is that to complete the Civil war quest line I must become the dragon born which I really didn't want to do. After my first character I don't like being dragon born because it made battle too easy in some cases. I also wanted to experience the world without dragon, but no, I can't do that if I want to complete the civil war quest line. I wish there was a setting to change that.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Even if you didn't start with RP in mind trying to get into your character's mind if kinda fun. Like thinking what your character's one-liner is after clearing a bandit camp is fun (espessially a a stealthy assassin Khajit. at my low "Whats a matter cat got one's tongue.") Is just a lol fest with Ciscero if you can stand it. Two murderous jesters was a the brunt of my fun after the DB questline.

ProxyKnight

Imperial Regulator
I agree with the importance of roleplaying in a game this big. I believe it would be easy to get lost and actually bored without a story to motivate your character. It also gives a more personal context of your experiences in this game, and makes your gaming experience more unique.

Although I don't plan to play on "God Mode", I am almost complete in my mission to lead all 4 guilds. That's because it was my character's mission to unite the 4 factions into one force against the Thalmor and strengthen Skyrim\Empire. Whether he uses this power to eventually become emperor is still to be decided. Plus, due to the size of the game, I only plan on having one main playthrough.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts