Roleplaying ideas for my Nord mage

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Comenius

Viking
I need some roleplaying ideas for my nord mage, how he became interested in magic and so on. I don't really need you to bring me examples like the court mages, the Snow-Shod daughter or the nord in the college, as I'm already aware of those things. I need to create a background story on my character.

Also, I'm planning to let my nord mage join the Stormcloaks. In a roleplaying-perspective, do you think they gladly would accept a mage fighting in their front lines? Would the Imperials be more accepting?

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
While I think mages are a little more likely to appear on the empire's side, I don't really think it's out of the question being on either side of the war. I think membership in either faction could be worked into a backstory effectively. A few questions I ask myself when trying to come up with a story myself include ideas such as:

-- What are the basics such as age, appearance? - This can give a good starting point on where the character is in his life. Younger characters to me are usually a bit more brash and idealistic where as my older characters are a bit wiser and less impulsive both of which coming from the experience of one's years.

-- What does he like to do either career-wise or just general interests and skills? - This is a great one to begin digging into his past. If he likes smithing for instance, where and from whom did he learn it? In your case, he's skilled at magic, where did he get that knowledge, how did he perfect it? Was he the first in his family to get into magic or has there been a line of skilled mages in his family for years?

-- What was his family background? What did his parents do? Where did he grow up? Any siblings? - For Raido, my main character, this one is pretty much the basis of his story. He had to deal with seeing his parents both get killed and later, his brother too. This is the biggest influence both good and bad that identifies who he is. The guilt he felt for not being able to stop either event from happening and the anger that came as a result of it is something he's had to battle with his whole life. The family background in my case also ties in his skills and strengths. He got the warrior, way of the sword mentality from his father who was a respected warrior and privateer back in Hammerfell. Raido got his magic proficiency from his mother who was a skilled mystic whom considerably later in his life he finds out she was actually a Psijic.

I'll add some more in a second post shortly.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
-- Do you envision him as trying to do good mostly or is he an evil person generally? Usually most people are not really fully one or the other but there generally is more of a lean towards one side.

-- Personality - Do you envision him as an introverted loner who prefers physical and emotional isolation from everyone else around him or the opposite? Like to good/bad question, most people are typically somewhere in the spectrum between the two extremes

-- Motivation - Why does he do what he does? Is he seeking revenge, ego/lust for power, fame/glory or on the other side, is he fighting to protect something, looking for someone or something, wanting to right a past wrong?

-- Civil war decision - Why does he want to fight for the Stormcloaks? Is it simply because he figures that's what a Nord should do, or maybe the whole "the empire tried to kill me" thing, or something else in his past that pushes him to that side and away from the other? How important is the war to him personally? Is it an "every fiber of his being" kind of thing or something not quite so strong or maybe even somewhat apathetic towards it.

-- How does he rank the schools of magic as far as his own strengths and what he wants to develop into? Does he see magic as a primary offensive tool for death and destruction or is he more into the defensive abilities and restorative side of magic? Does he still have a long ways to go in his magic skill development or is he already an expert or a master?

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I need some roleplaying ideas for my nord mage, how he became interested in magic and so on.

Being interested in magic could be a personal thing, something your characters family may not of agreed with. But something you decided to pursue, due to your natural ability to create basic magicka.

I don't really need you to bring me examples like the court mages

There are only two Nord Court Wizards. So using them as an example would be limited.

the Snow-Shod daughter

She was a healer, not a combat mage. But aided the injured with the knowledge from her priestess mother. Stormcloak supporters probably use her as an example, but she was a healer. Not a warrior.

or the nord in the college, as I'm already aware of those things. I need to create a background story on my character.

The Nord in the College is a good example, as his family disagreed with his decision.

Also, I'm planning to let my nord mage join the Stormcloaks. In a roleplaying-perspective, do you think they gladly would accept a mage fighting in their front lines? Would the Imperials be more accepting?

Both sides welcome the Dragonborn. If you're saying is one side going to be more against magic? Then no. The Nords in the Stormcloaks are the same as the Nords in the Legion, both recruited from Skyrim's population.

Both harboring their own distrusts. However the Legion is well known to having Battlemages, and the Stormcloaks do have many ex Legionnaires who would also value their skill in battle.

So when it comes to Stormcloaks/Legion on Mages. Both would understand the value equally.