• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry about the recent downtimes, guys. The load on the server was reaching it's maximum and I was forced to upgrade. The forums should now be more smooth and stable, and load times should generally be better. :)

NikolaTesla

Admiral Sunna Kyndai
I am also glad to hear that. But let me guess:the reason the you had to upgrade was either the amount of members or the amount people on at any given time right?

I have noticed there are alot of members who have only one ore two posts, and haven't been in in months, or at all. I think you and possibly your mods should start going through all the members who haven't been online in lets say, 1 or 2 months. Or haven't posted in 1 or 2 months. Maybe if you get rid of alot of the unnessacry memebers, it will be easier on your pocket and the server.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't matter about the total member count, only those online and active at one time. So having 500 guests online at once creates a lot of load for the server as well as having 23 members at once posting and doing various other things around the forums.

So yeah, we had to upgrade. :)

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Who are all those guests anyway? I am pretty sure that the vast majority of those are probably bots (crawlers and the like).

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Or people landing here after searching for something Skyrim-related on google. No one has to log in to see the content.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Or people landing here after searching for something Skyrim-related on google. No one has to log in to see the content.

True, but there has been a lot of activity lately that makes me think that Demut is right.
There is one way to stop it if the servers overload like last time & that is restrict what non members see. If a person had to sign up to access the forum content then it the servers won't overload. I've had to resort to doing it in the past with my own sites. Even now as I'm writing this there are 26 members & 455 guests... Just my thoughts on the subject.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
In the forums I've administered, the bots never comprised more than, say, 10% of the total connections. I don't know what the ratio here is because I can't see that information. On phpBB, for example, the bots show up as named users.

That being said, I think restricting access to people who are just looking for an answer and not signing up is a bad idea. I know I would not have signed up at all if I had been required to. I think it's a big turn-off. I see a lot of people who signed up saying they did so because they liked the forums and how friendly the people were. I'm not confident they would have signed up if they were met with some "create an account to see stuff" screen.

And that being said, it's not up to me in the least ;)

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
I agree with you Rayven, it was just an idea that's all. We look at all the angles & let Ren decide what is best. Me personally if the choice was mine to make, I wouldn't be restricting access, it was just an option that's all.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, restricting access is a terrible thing to do. Even if I do restrict access, people will still be on the server and probably still show up as guests.

Anyway, quality content is how we and many other forums grow. Let's say you're stuck on a quest on Skyrim, and you Google the question and find our forum. If the user gets a big "REGISTER TO VIEW CONTENT" screen they will immediately click the back button or simply just sign up, get the info, and leave. This also prevents people on other forums posting a link of a thread on our forums. I could go on this for ages but yeah.

Just go to http://skyrimforum.com/online/ and you can see the current visitors. Nearly all of them are reading threads. :p

Jerk

Don't Hate The Player Hate The Game #TSK
It's all good :) This forum is great

Beran

Official Writing Team
Awesome Forum Dance !!!!!
258witx.gif

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts