Realistic Deadly Combat Mod Ideas

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Though Skyrim is a great game, I think it would use some extra elements into combat system. I do wish Skyrim's melee combat system works similarly like that of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. If you don't know that game, I'll give you some ideas on what the combat system is like on DMMM

Power attack:
In DMMM, you can hold your attack button to ready your power attack and you can move around while you have your weapon ready to strike. You release it to perform your power attack which is nice and fast. In Skyrim, if you perform a power attack, you stop moving and have a huge delayed attack. DMMM's power attack is weaker compared to Skyrim since Skyrim's power attack receives damage multiplier. The purpose of DMMM's power attack is to stagger your opponent though. Just wildly swinging your sword at enemies with weapons and shield is ineffective since they can parry and block all your attacks. DMMM's power attack is to get through their defense. But just like any power attack, you are rather vulnerable when you have your weapon ready for power strike. DMMM's power attack is more mobile and has more strategy than just extra damage.

Flurry / swing your weapons wildly aka spam your left-mouse button:
DMMM and Skyrim work very similarly except in DMMM when your opponent blocks your swing, you don't stagger so you can waste your energy all you want but your enemy will keep blocking your attack and even counter attack. It's only effective in certain situation.

Kick:
You can kick your opponent to stagger them but it takes a lot of stamina so you can't just spam it. Also, if you time your kick just right, your opponent will fly backward. It's also pretty cool to Sparta kick a dude off a cliff. The best Skyrim can offer is shield bash and Fus Ro Dah...

Ground Finisher:
If your opponent fell to the floor and is laying down, you can finish your opponent right there. If you are on the ground and there is a dude with a sword trying to kill you, you are practically dead already. In DMMM, you just approach the guy on the floor who is trying to pick himself up and use a power attack on him. It's not a 100% guaranteed kill since the guy can try to dodge and you are very vulnerable while doing it so you can't just spam Paralysis and kill them all on the ground. It's way better than swinging wildly at the guy who's on the ground until he is back on his feet again. It's so silly whenever that happens.
DMMM is more of an action-game than it is an RPG as Skyrim is more of an RPG than it is an action-game but I think Skyrim could benefit greatly just borrowing some few elements into its combat system. I would like to know what you guys think. Post some of you ideas to combat the awkward combat system of Skyrim.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
I'm up for some boot action. Reminded me of bulletstorm for a minute when I read that. Also I dig the finishing a person the ground, it just makes sense instead of slashing him while he's trying to get up.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
“Dark Messiah of Might and Magic” is such a fantastic game. I fell in love with it five years ago and still play it on occasion. Fuck this economy for ruining Arkane Studios’ next title. Oh well, at least Bethesda bought them so that they could start working on “Dishonored”. Maybe that will turn out as great.

But yeah, it would certainly be interesting to see a similar combat system in an Elder Scrolls game, be it as a mod or vanilla feature.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Didn't they just recently release a new DMMM? I think they did, but I heard it wasn't as good as its predecessor.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
You mean a “Might and Magic” game, don’t you? A strategy game, not an FPS, correct?

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Ah yes you're right. I just remembered watching the trailer for it, which just so happened to be in German.

Forumate

Some more ideas for this thread.

Stagger
Makes you stagger more when you get hit with a weapon or spell. This would make combat more challenging because you would have to time out your attacks instead of just swinging your weapons like crazy.

Sparks
I want to see sparks when I block an attack with my shield. The effect is already in game so this shouldn't be that hard.

Weapon clash
If I swing my weapon the same time my target does our weapons should clash! It would create some sparks and make us both stagger.

Power Attacks
1. You can hold down the attack button to "charge" a power attack
2. Standing power attacks would use the same swinging animations as a normal swing. so if I swing my sword 3 times (left, right, left) and hold down the attack button on the third swing for a power attack it would use the same animation as my first swing but would be faster and deal more damage.
4. Swords and daggers get a thrusting animation for a forward power attack.
5. Ground finishing moves.

Umbranar

DMMM had an awesome combat system and physics that go with them. Kicking people in spikes was my favored way to kill. Kicking orcs and nailing their heads to their buddy`s leg with an arrow was even more awesome. Seeing that system back in skyrim would make the best game ever imo. Shouldn`t be too hard.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Another cool things from DMMM:
-finishing animation that remains in 1st person view... + SLOW MO
-Aiming your weapon attack at your opponent's weapon-wielding hand has a chance to disarm
-When you are in 'adrenaline mode', you can crouch and make a power attack move which will knock down everyone around you...
-Oh, and when you look down, you see your hands and feet. OMG

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
-Oh, and when you look down, you see your hands and feet. OMG
This, this, this, a thousand times this. Why the fuck do we still have to put up with that nonsense in 2011? What are we? A levitating pair of hands?

Muiggu

Dark Messiah still rocks. The whole combat system, kicking and impailing your enemies. I hate the fact that if you are using low damage weapons it's possible to put something like 10 arrows through a guys head and he'll still keep coming at you. Another thing is the damage difference between iron and daedric. I mean, a power attack to the head should do pretty much the same thing whether you're using an iron mace or something more fancy.

Wolfchant

Dark Messiah still rocks. The whole combat system, kicking and impailing your enemies. I hate the fact that if you are using low damage weapons it's possible to put something like 10 arrows through a guys head and he'll still keep coming at you. Another thing is the damage difference between iron and daedric. I mean, a power attack to the head should do pretty much the same thing whether you're using an iron mace or something more fancy.
i agree, nothing's worse than piercing a guy's skull with a poisoned arrow only to have him come and kill you with over half his health remaining

also, Y I HAZ NO FEET?

Panthera

Don Gato
Some more ideas for this thread.

Weapon clash
If I swing my weapon the same time my target does our weapons should clash! It would create some sparks and make us both stagger.

I was thinking something similar... I'm also annoyed shooting people with arrows in the head without killing it instantly as it shows this video. So I remembered stuff from Counter Strike, head-shoots! Now that would be good thing to have in skyrim I mean kitchen knife is not less life threatening than katana. So why should object of different material which pierced someones head make any difference from another material?

I remembered when I played assassin creed if you were better swordsman or martial artist than enemy and if you had good timing, you could fight multiple enemies without a scratch. So it would be great when you cut or hit a leg with an arrow enemy couldn't run... the same would go for a player.

My idea was to add 3 martial arts trees one for stealth, one for warriors and one for magician (think how cool would be to have fire fists while fighting or I don't know ice claws...). So there would be a lot of blocking (weapon clashing) and avoiding... although I think that would be only be able to play from 3rd person.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
That video puts Skyrim to shame when it comes to combat. The worse aspect of Skyrim, IMO. It truly sucks donkeydongs. Strong echoes of turn-based dice games, where luck and numbers is all that matters...

We need decent animation, decent collision detection, and decent physics. If Skyrim had good combat, it would be totally unbeatable.

Attolis

i always though it would be col if they set up an assassins creed esc thing where there are multiple button maps for what your doing, specified by say holding down a certain button. ie having your weapon drawn and holding whatever button you chose puts you into "combat mode" where you then have different things for dodging striking and countering. basically taking the assassins creed fighting techniques but making it less flashy and first person. i feel that it would make the game a lot more fun if winning a sword fight wasn't entirely dependent on who's armor and sword has the biggest number on more on your timing and even more so your skill. if the started incorporating different moves/abilities into the combat skill trees it would allow you to chose how you wanted to fight. as an example you get to a level and now when in combat if you time a counter properly you slide up and over your opponents guard killing them that way rather than what most of my battles seem to be which is really just makes my sword seem like a baseball bat

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts