• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Skarv

*This is not a master guide, I am just showing people what class I love to play as*

Race: Wood Elf

Major Skills: Archery, One Handed, Light Armor

Minor Skills: Sneak, Enchanting, Restoration

Description: Basically, you are always sneaking and using your bow. Sneak really isn't that important, but I like the damage bonus. So you just crouch, and use your bow, but when you are detected you hack and slash the enemies. Kind of like a jack of all trades, this class is perfect for me, and maybe even for you!

Enjoy!

sprugly

Pretty much the way I'm playing at the moment except I'm using a Breton.

I enjoy using the bows and dual wield swords if things get hairy. I've also gone for a bit of alchemy mainly for poison making. Makes those first shots hit harder.

Sprugly

Skarv

Yeah, I can't believe I found someone who plays the class, but by the way any tips on Alchemy I don't really understand how it works :Dragonborn:

XbSuper

I usually forego restoration in favor of smithing, but other than that, this is pretty much how I played a bunch of my chars(all different races too). The ranger class is the most immersive from an rp standpoint IMO. Everyone has their favorite class... Isn't it great this is single player and we don't need to worry about competing with others.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Rangers have been my favorite to play, but I like to forego one-handed weapons and exclusively use a bow. Makes it a bit more challenging, but I have a lot of fun with it. Plus, I've gotten really good at aiming and strafing from all that time spent using a bow!

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Some people really love to use bows in Skyrim. And are good at it. Take me for example, I'm not. I really should start using marksmanship for more than bouncing arrows off walls to distract guards. I haven't really used archery that much since Morrowind and my trusty crossbow.

sprugly

Basically if you mix ingredients that share an effect you make a potion with that effect. You can use 2 or 3 ingredients and can make potions and poisons with multiple effects.

I use an app on my Android phone to help me learn the effects withou wasting loads of ingredients because you don't know what effects things have to start with.

There are loads of places online you can look tho, like this one.

Skyrim:Alchemy Effects - UESPWiki

You can make some good multi effect potions that help this class. One of my faves is to get either paralysis or slow and poison damage.

Sprugly

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I wouldn't invest the 2 additional perks in Critical Shot. Critical hit damage is calculated off of the base damage of the weapon so it ends up being marginal.

Your Smithing perks are all for materials that are used to forge heavy armors but your armor perks are light armor so presumably your taking the Smithing perks for the better base damage of the Ebony and Daedric bows. You may want to rethink this because the damage difference between a Daedric Bow and a Glass Bow after they are tempered with 100 Smithing and your Archery bonus damage perks are applied are not going to be huge and your armor is not going to give you much physical damage resistance until you can make Dragonscale armor. In addition, in the hierarchy of weapons, Elven weapons are superior to Dwarven weapons (and Orcish weapons are actually inferior to Dwarven weapons - they are higher up on the perk branch because the armor is better) both in damage and attack speed.

You also may want to rethink investing points in Restoration. If you're using it only for healing then you really don't need to take any perks. You'll get a 41% Magicka cost reduction by the time you have 100 in Restoration skill and you can't readily use healing spells in battle when your 2 modes of attack are with a Bow and dual wielding weapons. If you invest those points in Alchemy instead you can make some decent healing potions and the ingredients are pretty easy to procure. You can make a bunch at once so they stack in your inventory and then assign a hotkey to them. This will allow you to heal yourself in battle without disarming your bow or left hand which you'll have to do to cast a healing spell in battle.

As a aside, you said that Enchanting was part of your build but I see no points invested in Enchanting.

kirak95197

Writer
*This is not a master guide, I am just showing people what class I love to play as*

Race: Wood Elf

Major Skills: Archery, One Handed, Light Armor

Minor Skills: Sneak, Enchanting, Restoration

Description: Basically, you are always sneaking and using your bow. Sneak really isn't that important, but I like the damage bonus. So you just crouch, and use your bow, but when you are detected you hack and slash the enemies. Kind of like a jack of all trades, this class is perfect for me, and maybe even for you!

Enjoy!

Basicly just an assassin class :p

sprugly

I think the small but subtle difference between the ranger and assassin is that the range uses the bow almost all the time. Then weapon of choice if they get desperate.

The assassin would use the bow for support but be aiming to get the 15x damage perk and use a dagger

Sprugly

Skarv

I think the small but subtle difference between the ranger and assassin is that the range uses the bow almost all the time. Then weapon of choice if they get desperate.

The assassin would use the bow for support but be aiming to get the 15x damage perk and use a dagger

Sprugly

This

Sprugly
I much prefer a bow on most of my assassins, my only dagger character is a thief.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

JRHartleberry

I am planning on starting a hunter/ranger the next time I play. I'm thinking:

Archery
Light armour
Sneak

I won't use one handed, because that would take away from the challenge of having to shoot enemies before they know where you are.

Saozig

Hippy
At least carry a dagger, especially on low levels. Both my characters right now are variations of the ranger type, but one--the Wood Elf--doesn't use any magic except for restoration, and maybe enchanting once he's a higher level (he does use enchanted items). His main weapon/skill is archery, but there's been times I've had to fall back on a 1h weapon and a shield. He currently is carrying an Orcish sword and a steel shield. I'd like to jettison the shield, but it's come in handy too many time with close-up combat, especially surprise attacks when it's easier to whip out the shield and block blows while you get your bearing and pose so you can attack. Being a low level char, it doesn't take much for a hard hit to make my Wood Elf stagger, and render his bow aim way off.

Besides, you can't cut through frostbite spider webs with an arrow. You need either a 1h/2h weapon or a fire spell.

My other character, a Dark Elf, is a bit of a ranger-mage. She can get by without a shield because she uses flesh and destruction spells.

As for sneaking, both my characters rely on sneak, but my Wood Elf more so because he doesn't have magic to fall back on if he gets into a tight spot. So it's more important with him to get the advantage in any encounter.

Vaga8ond

At least carry a dagger, especially on low levels. Both my characters right now are variations of the ranger type, but one--the Wood Elf--doesn't use any magic except for restoration, and maybe enchanting once he's a higher level (he does use enchanted items). His main weapon/skill is archery, but there's been times I've had to fall back on a 1h weapon and a shield. He currently is carrying an Orcish sword and a steel shield. I'd like to jettison the shield, but it's come in handy too many time with close-up combat, especially surprise attacks when it's easier to whip out the shield and block blows while you get your bearing and pose so you can attack. Being a low level char, it doesn't take much for a hard hit to make my Wood Elf stagger, and render his bow aim way off.

Besides, you can't cut through frostbite spider webs with an arrow. You need either a 1h/2h weapon or a fire spell.

My other character, a Dark Elf, is a bit of a ranger-mage. She can get by without a shield because she uses flesh and destruction spells.

As for sneaking, both my characters rely on sneak, but my Wood Elf more so because he doesn't have magic to fall back on if he gets into a tight spot. So it's more important with him to get the advantage in any encounter.

I use one one-handed weapon and block with that. With a few points in block and the perk that slows down the opponent's power attack its very effective. You can also bash with it as well.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
I'm contemplating a hybrid of your ideas, please tell me if this is decent.

A Breton with the Lord Stone, for 2 reasons: magic resistance and the level one Conjuration pet to distract enemies early on. Archery until gaps close, then a sword in one hand, conjure/magic related ability plus maybe a small heal in the left one, block with the sword as someone else suggested, run away and more arrow fire.

Light Armor, Smithing until dragonscale, Enchanting for magic resistances, fortify weapons and less magicka needed for spellcasting.

Viable?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts