Quick methods of filling petty/lesser soul gems

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

AcE Benson

I'm new to Skyrimforums and this is my 3rd post!

This is a guide on how to quickly fill your lower levelled soul gems for that all important spamming of the Enchanting skill. This helps it get to 100 quickly, as well as training multiple other skills up slightly, too.

Method 1:

Most people know this method, but meh.
What you want to do is get a good weapon for your companion, and enchant it with a 3 second soul trap. Now give them the sword and all of your unfilled soul gems, and go through caves and stuff! You can usually fill up soul gems pretty well this way.

Pros:
- Looting caves and stuff will generally be good money for you
- You'll be training your combating strategy skills ready for your high power enchantments

Cons:
- It depends on the mobs in the cave to how long it takes to fill your soul gems, since a lot of caves contain bandits.
- Can be quite tedious if you keep getting over-encumbered and have to drop things to return to a city.

Method 2:

Another way is one that I personally haven't seen posted before (you might have, but that's a different story) and I managed to discover when I began a little Role-play in my character (Read at the end of the post if you want to find out more about my role-play). All you have to do is grab all of your soul gems and a bow with a soul trap enchantment. The stronger the bow, the easier it will be. Fast travel to Whiterun stables, and begin wandering west. Kill all of the weaker creatures you see (mudcrabs, wolves, deer, elk, etc.) and run as far west as Rorikstead. If you still have a lot of soul gems unenchanted, rent the room in Rorikstead inn until morning and retrace your steps back to Whiterun. Sneak attacking deer/elk is the most reliable way to kill them if your Archery isn't too high. Several hits may be required at lower levels, and other methods of killing might be necessary.

If you don't want to use Archery on your character, use whatever weapon you use best as long as it has soul trap. If you are a mage, you can use the soul trap spell along with some destruction spells.

(A lot easier if you have Breezebane purchased)

Pros:
- Personally, I believe its quite fun to begin with!
- Training multiple skills at once
- Moderately fast since you can make the journey to Rorikstead within the whole of an in-game day.
- Lots of low level creatures in between Whiterun and Rorikstead.

Cons:
- There are some higher levelled creatures that can catch you off-guard
- Can become quite repetitive if you don't particularly like role-play
- If you're using Archery, you need a good supply of arrows, and a decent bow, and possibly a moderate sneak level depending on how you tackle first encounters.

I couldn't find a guide describing how to go about filling soul gems on here, so I thought I'd post one to see how it goes!

Role-Play

Here's how I came about Method 2:

I decided to make a "Hunter". This isn't the class though, this is lifestyle. After getting the dragonstone from Bleak Falls Barrow and slaying Mirmulnir, I saved up enough money to buy Breezebane and all of it's upgrades. There, I stored what items I didn't need, and slept until morning.
Upon morning, I rise from bed at 6am. I make some potions and poisons with what ingredients I had already collected from the outside world, took up my bow and quivered my arrows, and began my hunt. I begin at Whiterun stables, working my way to Rorikstead slowly. Hunting mainly Deer and Elk, I collected many hides and various sized antlers to use in my potions. Sometimes I got attacked by wolves, sabrecats and bears; their furs just added to my Smithing ingredient collection. I return to my house at 8pm and greet my wife, Ysolde, who I gave a gift of a mammoth tusk from an earlier expedition to Halted Stream Camp which I heard was full of bandits and took upon myself to cleanse the world of their unlawful ways. My wife cooked me a meal after my hard days work, then I rest.

I only hunt on weekends due to spawning, but during the week I help Adrianne Avenicci and Eorland Grey-Mane around their forges, training myself. I also do occasional work for the Dark Brotherhood when I am required.

My usual way to stock up is to either learn Soul Trap, or enchant a weapon with it. Then go to a Dwemer ruin. The Dwemer machines provide a lot of soul gems and killing the Falmer fill the gems. One trip usually provides enough to last a long time.

NocturnaSuppressio

Legate Nocturna
^ This person knows his skyrim.

ShadowGambit

You can also use a Conjuration trick.

You have to have Conjure Flame Atronach (a lesser soul). Also works best if you have Bound Sword/bow with Soul stealer.

Conjure your Flame Atronach and then conjure your weapon. Kill your Atronach with your weapon and it will fill a lesser soul gem.

By the way, it is also a very fast way to level Conjuring.

bane_of_talos

I like the second idea for filling up soul gems, but my character is a paladin kind of guy - which, to my mind, means that he has to be heavy-armoured, wield a two-handed greatsword, and excel in conjuration (but not the necromancy kind, only the atronach perk thread). Thus, without having to go into archery with my paladin, I enchanted my Ebony Greatsword with Soul Trap and march around killing anything that crosses my path. Sure, deer and elk run away (too fast for my paladin) but there are enough mudcrabs and bears to fill up 20-30 gems at a time.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
I find an effective way to fill soul gems is to put a 1 second Fiery Soul Trap on your weapon and the weapon of your follower, load your follower up with as many soul gems as you want, and just unload Soul Gems whenever you feel it's time. Fiery Soul Trap comes with a free 10 point fire damage effect, adding 10 damage to every attack allowing you to kill enemies slightly fast. And since both you and your follower have the Soul Trap every killing blow, even one hits, capture a soul. Making anything more unneeded.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts