Question on restoration glitch

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Hi folks,

So I tested the restoration glitch on my PS3 that lets you build god-like weapons and gear. I was able to get my restoration potions up to 3000x potency and created some good fortify smith potions BUT my enchant potions would not get above 100%. Why? Here is what I did:

1. farm the hard to get large quantities of fish heads aka abercean and cyrillod fish and salt pile
Best place was Riften area. Make friends with fish head person Wuuta? and get to take free.

2. Enchant a cheap set of gear with fortify alchemy and fortify smithing since I have the perks in alchemy
My alchemy is 45 and enchanting 100 levels
I used a ring, necklace, hide helmet, leather armor

3. Put gear on and create a fortify restoration potion.
4. Take gear off and drink restoration potion.
5. Put gear on and create new restoration potion.

I repeated this like 20x to get up to fortify restoration 2000x strength

Create fortify smith potions
1. remove gear then drink fortify restoration potion and put gear back on
2. create fortify smith potion
3. repeat

Find smith area
1. Drink fortify smith potion
2. improve gear

This worked pretty good now my armor is 7300 rating and weapons 350 each!
I killed elder dragon in 3 hits from my bow and most lower level monsters in one hit.
Need to get the weapons higher so I can one hit bosses like dragon priests and dwemer centurions!

OK now here is what did not work well and still cannot figure why not.
My fortify enchant potions really suck bad! I only got 50-100% improvement. Why?

How do I get my enchanting potions up high? Other than that, the only hard part is the dull time farming large amounts of fish heads for the pots. Even with kill and reload the merchant they like only carry 1-2 fish heads and hard to fish in Riften even. I swam the whole river like 20x and tons of useless salmon but few useful fish in lake/river areas.

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member
There are soft caps at play here.

Regardless of the number displayed, you will only ever reduce damage a maximum of 80%, so there is a functional cap on the armor rating which prevents you from being 100% immune to damage. That cap looks like this:
542 displayed armor rating when wearing all four pieces of armor and a shield
567 displayed armor rating when wearing all four pieces of armor, but without a shield
667 displayed armor rating when not wearing any armor or shield

Any displayed armor rating above these numbers is purely for your own satisfaction, as they exist above the armor cap and no longer have an influence on damage reduction. In short, you get no benefit from any number above 542/567/667, respectively.

As far as I understand it, you can get weapons up to 1000 damage per hit, and though some users have reported crafting weapons with higher damage, but a PC user tested it in June 2015 and found that any damage over 1000 was just "counted over". He didn't elaborate on what this meant, but we can guess it means it wasn't properly counted as additional damage over 1000.

As for why the enchantment potions, specifically, won't craft higher, I don't have an answer. I will, however, pull @Red into the discussion, because she has a lot of experience with alchemy. There's also something about 3000% potion creation breaking the game. (Not from an experiential "It's not fun if I can do X" standpoint, but from a "This literally rendered my game unplayable, and my file is dead" standpoint.) But I can't remember enough key words to find corroborating evidence to elaborate on it, myself.

Ah I see! Well getting the mask from the one dragon priest with 100% disease/poison resistance would be super useful I think on the game and also 100% magic resistance on amulet/rings.

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member
You need to use a glitch/exploit the Atronach Stone, the Atronach perk, and Necromage perk if you want 100% spell absorption/magic immunity. Otherwise you cap out at 80% again.

Here's what the UESP has to say about it: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Spell_Absorption

Good to know! Well considering that I was getting one shotted in the game before I max out my armor/weapon and had Dremora followers, now is much more fun. I cleared a few dungeons with little combat just use the summoned guys to do the work. I do prefer Dremora lords to the atronarch as they dont get in the way. I got mad when I summoned a Storm atronarch and the dude kept blocking doors and entrances. But the lighting attacks of them are cool to see.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
With all of that, your alchemy should have hit 100, and with maxing out the first three perks, you should be able to get higher fortify enchant potions.
I don't have a ton of experience with the resto potion glitch myself, but I can tell you that fortify enchanting potions do have several "soft caps" because of the formula that boosts their potency.
All that said, I don't have a firm answer for you because all of the testing that's been done is mostly on PC, there's still questions about possible hard caps on all of these values and since I don't use this glitch, you've blown past the 39% cap that I hit.
Lastly: There is something in all programming, and specifically gaming called 'underflow'. It's basically when you've achieved a number value higher than the game was meant to handle. Sometimes this results in it cycling back around to a value of 0, even though the shown value is higher. Other times it achieves a negative number, which causes games to crash.

It doesn't appear that you've hit underflow, but if you make your weapon damages high enough, you will likely crash your game(I dont remember what the value is, but it's much higher than you've achieved for now)

All in all, I don't know why you're stuck at 100%. You shouldn;t be, but without duplicating the steps myself, I couldn't tell you what's hanging you up.

Yeah me too. I will have to farm more fish items and run new batch of tests. For now, I am fine with getting the Atronarch stone and finishing the other quests. I really wanna test my build against the Dragon priests to get those cool masks. With armor 7000, weapons at 350-400 damage and conjure spells, think I can beat them pretty easy now. Have not fought Chaurus, Dwarven guys or Falmers yet so have to see how do with this update.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts