• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Anyone here ever tried a build entirely based on a vampire?
This is a build I made based on how vampires are in Skyrim and how I think they would be.
I've played vampires in Oblivion and Skyrim.
This is based from the assumption that you have Dawnguard, if you do not then some things will differ.

Build: The Vampire

Race: This doesn't really matter, Dark Elves are particularly well suited because of the 50% fire resistance and Nords too for 50% frost resistance, the Dunmer have no fire weakness as a vampire and the Nords have 100% Frost Resistance.(capped at 75% without Magic Resistance). Personally I use a High Elf because I like them.

Standing Stone: I would use the Mage stone first to help level up your Illusion/Destruction as they are your primary schools for combat, Illusion for crowd control and Destruction for damage dealing. Later on I would use either the Lady stone(25% faster health and stamina regen) to help with Stat regeneration in Daylight, or the Lord stone for the extra armour and magic resistance.

Primary Skills: One Handed, Sneak, Illusion, Destruction, Conjuration.

Secondary Skills: Restoration, Light Armour.

Explanation of Skills: As a vampire you favour stealth, you will begin by using sneak and 1 handed to sneak attack your enemies with the help of muffle/invisibility. When discovered use Calm to prevent that enemy from alerting others.
When discovered you have a lot of options, you can cast frenzy, use conjuration to summon the undead(boneman/mistman/wrathmen), fight like a spellsword with a 1 handed weapon and destruction, or just dual cast destruction. I recommend a combination, 1 handed is particularly effective when in combination with the Freeze spell from the Dragonborn DLC this slows warriors massively. Alternatively you could just turn invisible and wait until your undetected again.

When skills are Maximized: When your primary skills are higher you should have something like this: For conjuration 2 permanent dead thralls of your choice, a master vampire needs his Thrall Bodyguards. For Destruction a speciality in Frost and Lightning spells, most Illusion perks and most sneak perks, With full illusion you can affect enemies up to level 70 as a vampire. You can move the perks around to tailor them to your specific style, here is a perk layout up to level 50 : http://skyrimcalculator.com/#271884

Equipment: I normally go for the vampire armour or the vampire royal armour, Ideally you want something with magicka regeneration, health and stamina increases or regen increases are also helpful. Fire resistance too if your not a Dunmer. The Dark Brotherhood and particularly the Nightingale armour are also excellent for this build.
For a 1 handed weapon I use an enchanted elven dagger called Sangre (It means blood) with absorb health and frost damage enchantment.
For Jewellery you want the amulet of the bats/gargoyles which affect Vampire Lord Form(This can also be enchanted with 2 more effects if you have the extra effect perk), You also want either Ahzidals ring of arcana from the Dragonborn DLC or the Ring of Erudite from a Volkihar sidequest, this ring adds 100 magicka and doubles magicka regeneration in a similar fashion to the Highborn power, and works both in and out of Vampire Lord Form.

Factions: Definitely the Dark Brotherhood, aside from that both the Thieves Guild and the College of Winterhold are good for vampires. The companions is a big no for obvious reasons.

Shouts: Aura Whisper to detect all enemies, either living or dead. Drain Vitality to weaken opponents, Marked for Death for heavily armoured/high health opponents. Slow time for your supernatural reflexes, Soul tear for reanimating enemies that are on low health, works with giants/mammoths and finally Bend Will to make all opponents do your bidding.

End Notes: I haven't mentioned Vampire Lord form because primarily you will not use it, I like to use vampire lord in combination with Embrace of shadows(2 minute invisibility power) as a kind of emergency button, when your close to death become invisible and move away to change form then unleash the drain life spells.

Any questions?

Pete

You've made some excellent points.

My vampires always master illusion and conjuration as primary perks. For secondary its a 1H or bow (never use cross bow) and sneak --> basic survival skills. I like to avoid too many perks so I can figure out a play style that fits the character. My favorite stone is the ritual stone, so I can have an instant army when needed.

As for the fire weakness, I don't try to negate it. It gives my characters an Achilles heel.

The biggest challenge for me is when your a low level vamp. Running away has saved me many a time.

Right now I've started vampire witch type. Use only black mage robes, destruction, conjuration, illusion, bow. Should be fun.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
You've made some excellent points.

My vampires always master illusion and conjuration as primary perks. For secondary its a 1H or bow (never use cross bow) and sneak --> basic survival skills. I like to avoid too many perks so I can figure out a play style that fits the character. My favorite stone is the ritual stone, so I can have an instant army when needed.

As for the fire weakness, I don't try to negate it. It gives my characters an Achilles heel.

The biggest challenge for me is when your a low level vamp. Running away has saved me many a time.

Right now I've started vampire witch type. Use only black mage robes, destruction, conjuration, illusion, bow. Should be fun.
Thanks :) Illusion & conjuration are my favourite skills, I love illusion <3 the 25% vampire bonus is fantastic as it effects both duration and the level affected.
I was kind of split between the bow and destruction I love archery but It takes a lot of perks to max out so I went with destruction, + with illusion it's easy to get close enough for those x15 sneak attacks. I might respec to archery later on after I've done the dragonborn dlc.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Just a question, I'm brand new to Illusion.

Do you use dual cast on your offensive spells? What is your "rotation?" (gods the warcraft still infects me!:D)

Thanks!!

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Just a question, I'm brand new to Illusion.

Do you use dual cast on your offensive spells? What is your "rotation?" (gods the warcraft still infects me!:D)

Thanks!!

I rarely use dual casting, as a vampire your spells affect higher level enemies and already have a longer duration and as long as you get the perks down the middle and right side of the tree you should never need to dual cast except maybe on a dragon priest or something.
I use dual cast on destruction spells, I primarily use freeze from the dragonborn dlc to slow warriors and ice storm.
Truth be told I rarely end up needing destruction, with the use of calm, sneak and a dagger(x30 sneak attacks with the assassins blade perk and Dark Brotherhood gloves) that takes care of everything.
I only use destruction for Automatons and undead because they are not affected by illusion spells until you get the last perk, master of the mind.
Illusion in my opinion is by far the best skill tree in the game, and I think you'll enjoy using it, being a vampire really shows it power.

oh and what do you mean by rotation?

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Thanks Wrighty!

By rotation, I jokingly referred to a set pattern you usually cast in a large or prolonged fight...how do you set up, and cast your "go to" spells? Is there a "usual" casting order?

I want to make an unarmored fem Redguard, robes, bow with perks, slice & dice 2x wield if they get close, Dremora & Atronachs & Fury/Calm Oh My!

All input appreciated, as always!

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Thanks Wrighty!

By rotation, I jokingly referred to a set pattern you usually cast in a large or prolonged fight...how do you set up, and cast your "go to" spells? Is there a "usual" casting order?

I want to make an unarmored fem Redguard, robes, bow with perks, slice & dice 2x wield if they get close, Dremora & Atronachs & Fury/Calm Oh My!

All input appreciated, as always!
No problem :)
ah yes it depends on the circumstance, When I first enter a cave for example I start off sneaking and backstabbing, if there's a lot of light or they are looking toward me I'll cast a calm spell then I'll run up to them crouch and backstab them.
If there's a cluster of enemies like at the boss battle I will hide and cast a frenzy spell from distance, with frenzy they attack the closest person so even without silent casting this is still effective. I'll cast frenzy until there is 1 person left then I'll calm and backstab them.
In open combat I summon a wrathmen then use ice spells like freeze to slow the enemy down and help my summon kill it, I'll just use 1 handed and freeze if the enemies are weak like skeletons.
Obviously the worst thing is undead and automatons are unaffected so you need to reach 100 as soon as possible for the master of the mind perk, walking around casting muffle levels it up fast.
Otherwise for undead I try to sneak and backstab without calm or I'll summon help and a bound sword, for Automatons I just summon wrathman and dual cast destruction as there damage is quite high.

Sounds like a fun build, I'd recommend the bound bow or Zephyr both excellent weapons with the fastest firing rates in the game.

Panthera

Don Gato
Bro I really liked how you named your elven dagger by using Spanish. Damn how come I didn't think of it... :rolleyes:
Sangre... sounds badass also very classy considering that is used by vampire in vampire armor. ;) Really clever for naming it after "absorb health" enchantment. I wonder how it would be in Spanish "frozen blood" (considering that there is also frost damage enchantment)?

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Bro I really liked how you named your elven dagger by using Spanish. Damn how come I didn't think of it... :rolleyes:
Sangre... sounds badass also very classy considering that is used by vampire in vampire armor. ;) Really clever for naming it after "absorb health" enchantment. I wonder how it would be in Spanish "frozen blood" (considering that there is also frost damage enchantment)?
Thanks I had another called vampira too, I think frozen blood would be 'sangre congelada' but you could change frozen to ice which is hielo, you could dual wield daggers 1 with absorb health and 1 with frost damage and call them sangre & Hielo

Panthera

Don Gato
Thanks I had another called vampira too, I think frozen blood would be 'sangre congelada' but you could change frozen to ice which is hielo, you could dual wield daggers 1 with absorb health and 1 with frost damage and call them sangre & Hielo
Congelada sounds better to me than Hielo :) ...lol I have just think of a funny name... blood ice cream, I think even that would sound good. ^^ :D

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Congelada sounds better to me than Hielo :) ...lol I have just think of a funny name... blood ice cream, I think even that would sound good. ^^ :D
Agreed, Do you know spanish?

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Nah, I just understand some. You?
I understand pretty much everything and I can speak it well enough, I used to teach english to adults at a language school in Peru in South America. Fantastic language, well worth learning.

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
I think I'm going to re-make him Wrighty. With that name he should be maybe Imperial or Breton you know? Not an Elf. Just doesn't fit him.

Yeah good idea you could perhaps do a french version of it and make him a breton(as bretons are french), they make excellent necromancers and defensive mages.

Reaper0021

Steam: Reaper0021
Yeah good idea you could perhaps do a french version of it and make him a breton(as bretons are french), they make excellent necromancers and defensive mages.
Yep good idea Breton with this (French for "Death Lord") Seigneur de la mort

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts