• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Hi, I'm new to this forum so i'm not so sure if this is the right forum (lol)
I'm just about to start a mage and i was thinking of going with either high elf or breton but im not so sure,
with my mage i want to use shock mostly with seconday being fire.
and a few spells from other schools.
Can someone help me with my mage!?

Picking either is fine, but with high elf you get extra starting magicka plus the Highborn power.

Joel Schneider

Yeah i was thinking that, but i wanted to use this character for a Vampire Lord in Dawnguard but I wasn't sure and do you reakon my choice for destruction was a goo or bad idea (Shock)

The choice between Altmer, and Breton boils down to racial abilities. Altmer have the fastest running speed, especially in robes with just spells in their hands, and get the only stat boost in the game. This means you can spend some points on health early on, and be ahead of the curve.

Bretons get 25% Magic Resistance, which is huge, and the best daily power. Spell Absorbtion randomly stops half of the magical effects that strike you (for 60 seconds) and you can stack it with the Atronach Stone for temporary immunity from all magical effects, including poison, disease, and shouts. Not only that, but that magicka goes straight into your blue gauge, so for those really tough fights, you can use the enemies' magic to power destruction, or drop a Guardian Circle/of protection as a well of Magicka, and have to try real hard to use it all up. So they basically boil down to defense. The only drawback is that Spell Absorbtion has a chance of randomly soaking up a summon, which can get you killed, but if you're going for destruction, it's not a problem.

kdshields

Co-founder of Applits.com
Good guide. I'm all about mages. That's usually all I play lol

Skarv

I personally pick the one which looks better towards what I want to play. I mean, the +50 Magicka isn't that great since you can just enchant for free Destruction and another school.

Hacksaw

I prefer not to enchant down to a free school in the end, but for the sake of training my skills to 100 I did it. So that meant Enchanting straight up the middle of the tree, and then I didn't even buy any other magic perks until I had 100 in all the schools and I could just pick and choose with my total points.

Let me throw in my two cents for training skills to 100 -- much faster with enchantment to a free school, but possible either way.

Restoration -- I found a skeleton, killed his buddies, and spammed Turn Undead over and over. I'm not sure this is the fastest way, but its much lower-risk than getting yourself hurt and healing.

Alteration -- I spammed Magelight until I was at 25 (or 50, I forget), then bought the spell Detect Life. I stood in Solitude, put an elastic band around the trigger of my Xbox controller, and went for my workout at the gym.

Illusion -- I spammed Muffle. I'm not sure its the most efficient spell for levelling, but that was pretty fast anyway.

Conjuration -- I spammed Soul Trap on a dead body. Reached 100 pretty fast.

Destruction -- I went to Jorvaskarr to join the Companions. On the "Train with Vilkas" quest, I hit him with magic, which just resets his health and causes him to tell you to stop using magic and hit him with a weapon. Careful; if you hit him hard enough with magic you'll pass your training. He's a nord, so just use a strong ice spell. And with a bit of wrangling, I managed to get him stuck behind one of the target dummies in the yard. He couldn't advance and hit me with his sword because he was bumping up against the dummy, which in turn meant that I could put on Flames in each hand, use the elastic band, and go do something else. Good thing too, because destruction takes a friggin long time to level up. As an alternative, you might go to the end of the civil war and use Fire Wall (or frost wall or whatever) in the final battle. You can just hang back on the battlefield where enemy troops with spawn infinitely until you deliberately go after the enemy general. Throw around a little 'indiscriminate justice' and level up that destruction skill.

As a side note, I lost my love for atronachs and undead after learning to summon Dremora Lords. I don't know this to be true, but I've heard they benefit from the Atromancy perks. And with Twin Souls, you can definitely summon two of them. The Draugr Deathlord has a whole lot more health, but the Dremora Lord has way better armor and is therefore better in my opinion. And he looks more cool. :p

SkinnedLikeScum

Dragon Slayer
I prefer not to enchant down to a free school in the end, but for the sake of training my skills to 100 I did it. So that meant Enchanting straight up the middle of the tree, and then I didn't even buy any other magic perks until I had 100 in all the schools and I could just pick and choose with my total points.

Let me throw in my two cents for training skills to 100 -- much faster with enchantment to a free school, but possible either way.

Restoration -- I found a skeleton, killed his buddies, and spammed Turn Undead over and over. I'm not sure this is the fastest way, but its much lower-risk than getting yourself hurt and healing.

Alteration -- I spammed Magelight until I was at 25 (or 50, I forget), then bought the spell Detect Life. I stood in Solitude, put an elastic band around the trigger of my Xbox controller, and went for my workout at the gym.

Illusion -- I spammed Muffle. I'm not sure its the most efficient spell for levelling, but that was pretty fast anyway.

Conjuration -- I spammed Soul Trap on a dead body. Reached 100 pretty fast.

Destruction -- I went to Jorvaskarr to join the Companions. On the "Train with Vilkas" quest, I hit him with magic, which just resets his health and causes him to tell you to stop using magic and hit him with a weapon. Careful; if you hit him hard enough with magic you'll pass your training. He's a nord, so just use a strong ice spell. And with a bit of wrangling, I managed to get him stuck behind one of the target dummies in the yard. He couldn't advance and hit me with his sword because he was bumping up against the dummy, which in turn meant that I could put on Flames in each hand, use the elastic band, and go do something else. Good thing too, because destruction takes a friggin long time to level up. As an alternative, you might go to the end of the civil war and use Fire Wall (or frost wall or whatever) in the final battle. You can just hang back on the battlefield where enemy troops with spawn infinitely until you deliberately go after the enemy general. Throw around a little 'indiscriminate justice' and level up that destruction skill.

As a side note, I lost my love for atronachs and undead after learning to summon Dremora Lords. I don't know this to be true, but I've heard they benefit from the Atromancy perks. And with Twin Souls, you can definitely summon two of them. The Draugr Deathlord has a whole lot more health, but the Dremora Lord has way better armor and is therefore better in my opinion. And he looks more cool. :p

Hmmm thats kinda sad, i enjoy playing the game the right way and doing long hard battles and exploration of misc and side quests to level. Instead of power level cheating. i noticed u used a elastic band and left your room/house for awhile, is that how u planned to play your expensive bought skyrim before you even got it? Tell me how many places have u explored between all your characters lol. Probably 100 or less am i right? I have about 800 on a single character, and i own about 15 diff chars and i never do that kind of thing no matter how much i have beaten the game, it makes it less fun :) and kills the point! Oh and i still look bad ass i have hard earned a few 81's :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts