• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I'll add a few important blurbs as they come up in this live blog. Here's one we've been waiting for specifically:

10:41: Jack Tretton, in an effort to win E3 and the video game industry, says that the PS4 won’t impose any strict DRM. When you buy a game, it is yours to do with what you wish. The audience is literally chanting out of happiness. PS4 games also don’t need to be connected online to play, and the audience loses their minds. No periodic online check-ins, and the PS4 won’t stop working if you haven’t authenticated in 24 hours — a direct shot a Microsoft. Your PS Plus membership works across all Sony systems, you only need one account.

Start Dale

I got 99 problems but a Deadra ain't one.
The Elders Scrolls Online will be on PS4 release Spring 2014 (Yes sweet roll holiness joys of joys!!!! Ha ha ha ha!!!)

Used games will be supported by PS4!

Console doesn't need to be always online!

Destiny & AC4 both look pretty as all bloody hellfire!!!

Now looking forward to my new PS4 purchase... I was worried for a bit.

Start Dale

Destiny looks to be a co-op mmo style sci - fi fantasy gaming experience, so very pretty, it will be mine. So i now know the two games i'll be getting with my PS4 in November ish...

The reveal for Assassains Creed 4 Black Flag, looked unbelievably pretty as well as really smooth gameplay wise, seemlesly blending from combat to naval battles.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
Sony had this as soon as Microsoft first started detailing their console. It wouldn't be hard to win over console gamers. Still not convinced to get a console, however.

Start Dale

For UK people the price is £349.

Start Dale

What about U.S?

Sorry i was only listening out for UK currency, watching this at 4am here due to time differences.

Though i think US $399. Check yourself man as i'm now going to sleep before work at 8am.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
So here's what I've been able to confirm:

• Still looks like a VCR from the 1980's.
  • Cost is $399 USD
  • Sony will not restrict used game sales.
  • The PS4 will not require a persistent online connection (I have not seen anything yet saying if it will require any sort of timed validation).
  • Disc-based games will not require any sort of extra authentication and will not be required to be online (discounting, of course, games meant to be played as co-op and so forth).
  • For single-player games, they specifically stated you would not lose the ability to play your title if you were not able to connect to the internet.

Skyrimosity

I'll be honest; I have been impressed by Sony. I think its the fact that now, they have an advantage in the console war and are able to be more aggressive. Bravo Sony.

And about its appearance... I don't care if it looks like bark torn off a tree and painted black if it runs the games that smoothly and will bring the next Elder Scrolls game to the next level of amazing.

Start Dale

I'll be honest; I have been impressed by Sony. I think its the fact that now, they have an advantage in the console war and are able to be more aggressive. Bravo Sony.

And about its appearance... I don't care if it looks like bark torn off a tree and painted black if it runs the games that smoothly and will bring the next Elder Scrolls game to the next level of amazing.

Yup.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well, I was following the reveal on a blog, and they posted this image:

BMcWrkSCEAADHNJ.png

I was hoping they were kidding. (Yes, it's an altered image showing the actual photo of the PS4 and sticking an image of the Xbox One on there for comparison.)

I mean, I know engineers are, well, engineery. But surely someone somewhere could have added something a bit sexy-looking.

Yes, in the end, it's about how the thing works. I don't think anyone will truly argue that. But I certainly would have loved even a slight nod to aesthetic appeal.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Holy pl***!!! It can do levitation?!?!*is now irrevocabley sure it can and will get one solely because of it*

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...ion-plus-subscription-for-online-multiplayer/

This article discusses the online services component of the PS4. Basically, current PS Plus accounts will get migrated, so people don't have to make a new account with the PS4. However, there will be a subscription fee of about $50 USD per year.

Another important item mentioned in this article is that apparently the console won't be region locked.

I am curious though. I don't have an Xbox or PS3 and I don't subscribe to either service, naturally. One of the things in the slide from the E3 about the benefits of the Plus membership is automatic game updates. How does this work now when game vendors release patches for their titles? Surely you don't have to pay a membership fee to get a patch now, do you?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts