PS3 Game Data Installation Issue

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

JimT

I'm new to the forum but I really need help. I just bought Skyrim, pre-owned, from Best Buy for the PS3 today. With that said, I have to go through the game data installation process.

The first step was to download the latest update for the game, which I did, quickly and without a problem. Then second step was to install the game data, which is what I'm having a problem with.

When my PS3 is at the installation screen, it reads, "Installing game data, please wait..." As I'm waiting, it gets to 52% completion, and it stops. I have been sitting here for hours now trying to figure out what the problem is and can't figure it out. I have restarted my PS3 multiple times and it continues to stop at 52% when I go through the installation process again. I have tried deleting the little bit of game data that does download from the 52% and tried redownloading it, as well as the game update, still nothing. I have searched everywhere, even on this forum, and have tried all techniques. Still, the outcome is same.

The only thing I can think of is that it's because it's a pre-owned game and there maybe something wrong with it. It would be greatly appreciated if someone helped me with this issue.

Lycan Supremacy

Freelancer of Tamriel
I have actually heard about this issue before. What it simply could be is the disc is dirty. Check your disc if its dirty clean it with a soft cloth, pop it back in and it should work.

JimT

I have actually heard about this issue before. What it simply could be is the disc is dirty. Check your disc if its dirty clean it with a soft cloth, pop it back in and it should work.
I've been wiping it and even used a rotating disc-buffer-type thing. (you put the disc into a little case and spin a wheel to buff out smudges)

Lycan Supremacy

Freelancer of Tamriel
Hmm, then it could be the disc itself as the culprit for it just stopping. Seeing as its pre-owned I don't think you'll be able to return it to Best Buy unless theres a guarantee to play like there is with places like GameStop.

JimT

Hmm, then it could be the disc itself as the culprit for it just stopping. Seeing as its pre-owned I don't think you'll be able to return it to Best Buy unless theres a guarantee to play like there is with places like GameStop.
I'm going to try and talk to someone at Best Buy tomorrow because I am pretty mad. I just bought a game and can't even play it.. but what can ya do? It's only a game and I've tried everything and nothing has worked. I may just sleep it off

JimT

Might be a stupid question, but do you have enough hard drive space?
Yeah I do haha. I actually deleted a bunch of stuff off of it while I was deleting the little bit of game data that was able to download. The only thing I have saved on it is Call of Duty.

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
Might be a stupid question, but do you have enough hard drive space?

Stupid, but effective. Many people seem to overlook that.

I've been wiping it and even used a rotating disc-buffer-type thing. (you put the disc into a little case and spin a wheel to buff out smudges)

Being pre-owned I assume that disk is heavily scratched. Normally CD/DVD clinics as you mentioned don't work effectively. It can just be a minor scratch somewhere in the 52% data read and can't get past that. if so, the solution Is to use toothpaste and a cloth and slowly in circular motion rub them out.Then rinse the disk under water and leave to dry. Don't dry it with a towel.

Buying a pre-owned game in the beginning wasn't a bright idea for several reasons. My advice would return it and buy it retail.

JimT

UPDATE: I went back to Best Buy to exchange the game and because they didn't have anymore pre-owned copies, the just gave me a brand new one without cost. Everything works now and I appreciate you all trying to help me out. This topic can be closed.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts