• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
No Stone Unturned is surely the hardest quest given how long it takes to collect all 24 stones and then you have to do (IMO) the most difficult dungeon; Tolvald's Cave/Gap/Crossing.

But the reward is incredible! I meant to make a thread about this the first time I gathered every Stone of Barenziah because the reward that lets you find more gemstones is fantastic. For those that have never finished this quest you begin to find lots of precious stones in urns, burial urns, chests and those unarmoured draugr that don't reanimate. To illustrate, at level 32 this is what I found in the first ten urns/burial urns I came across

1. amethyst, emerald, flawless ruby
2. garnet :sadface:
3. diamond, flawless amethyst, flawless ruby, garnet
4. amethyst, emerald, 2 garnets
5. amethyst, flawless ruby
6. amethyst, flawless amethyst, flawless ruby
7. flawless garnet, garnet, sapphire
8. amethyst, emerald, 2 rubies
9. garnet, ruby, sapphire
10. amethyst, flawless amethyst, sapphire

And in the entire dungeon (Angarvund) I found

24 amethysts
6 diamonds
13 emeralds
11 flawless amethysts
1 flawless emerald
12 flawless garnets
17 flawless rubies
10 flawless sapphires
16 garnets
15 rubies
10 sapphires

And that particular draugr crypt doesn't have that many urns compared with some. Imagine what a boost those gems would be to smithing if you are making silver/gold rings and necklaces? Then think how much money you'd make selling them all. Of course, you'd make good money selling them as they are.

I'm playing a no crafting character but I'm going to start smithing eventually, and the amount of gems I'll gather by that point is going to make leveling very easy :D

So if you've never finished the No Stone Unturned quest I think you should go for it. The reward for finishing that quest is amazing!

4522213-1403277043.jpg

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
No Stone Unturned is surely the hardest quest given how long it takes to collect all 24 stones and then you have to do (IMO) the most difficult dungeon; Tolvald's Cave/Gap/Crossing.

But the reward is incredible! I meant to make a thread about this the first time I gathered every Stone of Barenziah because the reward that lets you find more gemstones is fantastic. For those that have never finished this quest you begin to find lots of precious stones in urns, burial urns, chests and those unarmoured draugr that don't reanimate. To illustrate, at level 32 this is what I found in the first ten urns/burial urns I came across

1. amethyst, emerald, flawless ruby
2. garnet :sadface:
3. diamond, flawless amethyst, flawless ruby, garnet
4. amethyst, emerald, 2 garnets
5. amethyst, flawless ruby
6. amethyst, flawless amethyst, flawless ruby
7. flawless garnet, garnet, sapphire
8. amethyst, emerald, 2 rubies
9. garnet, ruby, sapphire
10. amethyst, flawless amethyst, sapphire

And in the entire dungeon (Angarvund) I found

24 amethysts
6 diamonds
13 emeralds
11 flawless amethysts
1 flawless emerald
12 flawless garnets
17 flawless rubies
10 flawless sapphires
16 garnets
15 rubies
10 sapphires

And that particular draugr crypt doesn't have that many urns compared with some. Imagine what a boost those gems would be to smithing if you are making silver/gold rings and necklaces? Then think how much money you'd make selling them all. Of course, you'd make good money selling them as they are.

I'm playing a no crafting character but I'm going to start smithing eventually, and the amount of gems I'll gather by that point is going to make leveling very easy :D

So if you've never finished the No Stone Unturned quest I think you should go for it. The reward for finishing that quest is amazing!

4522213-1403277043.jpg
Is that the crown! Who cares about giving it to the TG! I wanna wear it. :)

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Wow... So this is some kind of perk granted from completing this quest? I was unaware, and certainly hadn't planned on doing it, (every character I've made starts picking up the damn unusual gems, and they've only ever clogged up my inventory). But I do like being rich, so perhaps this is something that I should pursue after all.

Skittenlily

Juggernaut Assassin
Wow! I've never actually pursued the Stones in earnest, but I think I will now! After 100+ hours on this character I have only found 15. I bet I could find them all if I really tried! I already have a treasure chest in Honeyside full of gems, but I could always use more!

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
I found them all one time several years ago - I think it was with my first character. I'm considering doing a rogue-ish/treasure-hunter character on my next playthrough. Sounds like something he would be interested in doing.

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
Is that the crown! Who cares about giving it to the TG! I wanna wear it. :)

Not possible :D

Wow... So this is some kind of perk granted from completing this quest? I was unaware, and certainly hadn't planned on doing it, (every character I've made starts picking up the damn unusual gems, and they've only ever clogged up my inventory). But I do like being rich, so perhaps this is something that I should pursue after all.

Yea, find every stone then take them to Vex (make sure to speak to her about it before finding all stones, apparently there's a glitch if you don't) and she'll point you to Tolvald's Cave for the crown to put them in. Retrieve the crown, take it back to Vex and you get the perk though it doesn't show up in your active effects. You'll know when you start opening urns, that's for sure

Wow! I've never actually pursued the Stones in earnest, but I think I will now! After 100+ hours on this character I have only found 15. I bet I could find them all if I really tried! I already have a treasure chest in Honeyside full of gems, but I could always use more!

I wouldn't recommend just looking around for them, some of them are in places you'd never think to look, one or two are in places you are likely to be but could possibly miss the stone if you aren't looking for it, and one requires buying the house in Solitude- which means doing the entire Patema thing and delivering Torryg's horn. The quest really is a commitment, assuming you never found any of the stones by accident it's honestly comparable to one of the major questlines

But your treasure chest of gems will be overflowing if you complete the quest :)

I found them all one time several years ago - I think it was with my first character. I'm considering doing a rogue-ish/treasure-hunter character on my next playthrough. Sounds like something he would be interested in doing.

Sounds perfect, but bear in mind for a RP character you might have to break character a bit. You need to join the Thieves' Guild of course, but also the College and either join the DB or do the Destroy the DB quest

Last edited:

Daelon DuLac

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
I usually cheat and click really quickly on the stones to get more. That way I only have to visit about 8 places :p I don't got the time to go through all those places.

Also, I think if you already cleared out a dungeon, some of them don't change values. I went back to a dungeon to clear it out again with the perk , and I didn't get any gems. Weird.

Daelon DuLac

I usually cheat and click really quickly on the stones to get more. That way I only have to visit about 8 places :p I don't got the time to go through all those places.

Also, I think if you already cleared out a dungeon, some of them don't change values. I went back to a dungeon to clear it out again with the perk , and I didn't get any gems. Weird.
And what, pray tell, has you in such a hurry? Got some milk to drink? Or better yet, some yutz to assassinate? :)

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American

You cheetah!

Dabiene Caristiana

Yes yes... I'm so cheetah. ;)

Dabiene Caristiana

Yeah. The first time I did that...

"There has GOT to be a better way. This is Skyrim. There is bound to be a work around."

And bam. There was. Soo much easier :p

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
Sounds perfect, but bear in mind for a RP character you might have to break character a bit. You need to join the Thieves' Guild of course, but also the College and either join the DB or do the Destroy the DB quest
Ah, but a master thief would be able to con his way into such organizations with the sole purpose of collecting the stones. Especially a master thief who was rather adept at illusion.

J

Jeremius

I personally think the perk itself is a cheat. I mean, a bonus to finding gems? That makes things way to easy. I prefer getting gems by luck, myself.

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
An update

Since getting Prowler's Profit my gem collection has been growing huge. I started smithing and have only used flawless diamonds, diamonds and flawless emeralds for making jewelry- no matter how quickly I gather iron ore to transmute to gold I can't get through my most valuable gems quickly enough- at the moment I have over 30 diamonds despite making as many diamond rings as possible. I've got well over 100 sapphires, rubies and emeralds respectively, and I had to start selling off the garnets and amethysts because even if I stop collecting jewels I'll never reach a point where I need to use those lesser gems for smithing

In fact at this point iron ore is more valuable to me than gems. I'm thinking at some point I might just get an empty room in a house I own and lay down a carpet of gemstones- try to cover the entire floor just to see how it looks

Ah, but a master thief would be able to con his way into such organizations with the sole purpose of collecting the stones. Especially a master thief who was rather adept at illusion.

Very true. Wherever you want to go with the character there will always be a way to justify those sorts of decisions!

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
I personally think the perk itself is a cheat. I mean, a bonus to finding gems? That makes things way to easy. I prefer getting gems by luck, myself.

I agree it's a bit over the top. On the the other hand, there isn't a great deal you can do with gems. They're very good for smithing though you need silver/gold ore to do anything with them, and while they're great for selling because of the weight/value ratio eventually, just like with potions and enchanted items, it becomes impractical selling them all and there's only so much you can spend the money on anyway

Dabiene Caristiana

Honestly, I don't think Bethesda realized how many gems you get with a perk. I figure they thought, "Hey, why not give the gamers a little treat huh? It'll make thieving more exciting." Probably got the programing wrong. I wonder if there is a mod to make the ratio or rate more balanced.

J

Jeremius

I agree it's a bit over the top. On the the other hand, there isn't a great deal you can do with gems. They're very good for smithing though you need silver/gold ore to do anything with them, and while they're great for selling because of the weight/value ratio eventually, just like with potions and enchanted items, it becomes impractical selling them all and there's only so much you can spend the money on anyway

They are an easy way to get gold/septims (I have a mod that changes gold to septims and adds ancient nordic and dwemer currency). That sounds pretty cheat to me.

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
Honestly, I don't think Bethesda realized how many gems you get with a perk. I figure they thought, "Hey, why not give the gamers a little treat huh? It'll make thieving more exciting." Probably got the programing wrong. I wonder if there is a mod to make the ratio or rate more balanced.

You're probably right. It's over the top, that's a fact

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts