Pre-release mod talk

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
wasn't sure you were joking but okay. but yeah, there will be tons of mods. It's fine if they make it look even more realistic but if they start making a new race with baby-faced elves, ugh.

Tusck

I generally don't use any mods that add races. Usually I find those are too overpowered. When I start using mods, I try to be very careful not to break the game by making it too easy. I tend to lean more towards graphics, environments, quests, and that sort of thing. New races and equipment need to be well balanced before I use them.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Yeah. Not to mention a lot of the race mods is not always consistent with the lore. Balance is also an issue but I do enjoy downloading extended magic mods for Oblivion which has pretty ridiculous spells.

Tusck

I'll admit that I also downloaded extended magic mods in Obvilion. Also, and I hate to admit this, I tried one that was a jedi mod that gave lightsabers and force powers. That was fun for an afternoon.

In oblivion I liked the texture upgrades, and the one that increased life in the wilderness, and the one ocean life mod. Can't remember the names. You almost needed these to make Oblivion feel alive.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Yep. I agree texture packs are one of the best mods for oblivion. I think we should discuss this on Oblivion mod thread though.

I don't think Skyrim needs any mods like that. I think there will be one anyway, just to improve its environment. We won't know whether it needs one or not until we get the game. :]

Jeruhmi

I think the bodies look pretty good for Skyrim, this time around. I don't think nudity is really necessary to be immersive. That's just my preference though.

Anyways, I've been thinking of few list of mods to improve some of skyrim's gameplay:
1. Disease control
2. Degrading weapons and gear
3. Spears and crossbows
4. Battle scars
5. More perks
In Oblivion weapons did degrade, or went blunt. Something a long those lines. Because I know you could find a repair hammer, which would restore them partially.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
In Oblivion weapons did degrade, or went blunt. Something a long those lines. Because I know you could find a repair hammer, which would restore them partially.
I know. It's just that Skyrim isn't having weapon and armor degradation. Repairing everything with a hammer was all too silly but I think such mechanic would make Smithing more useful as a skill. Instead of removing it, they could have expanded it more.

Tusck

Yeah I agree. I actually liked the repair system they way it was, yes silly, but necessary. Kind of took my back to Shadowbane one of my favorite games ever, where you constantly had to repair your gear. It seems weird that they added all these other things to make the world more real, like woodcutting, brawling, cooking, etc, but took out equipment repair.

Jeruhmi

I know. It's just that Skyrim isn't having weapon and armor degradation. Repairing everything with a hammer was all too silly but I think such mechanic would make Smithing more useful as a skill. Instead of removing it, they could have expanded it more.
Oh, so it's been removed? Shame, that would be very fitting for a smithing skill.

Tri-edge

I would like alternative mounts, not just horses.. perhaps even ones that fly.
yerrr same that would be awesome. But i think the kings of the skys are teh dragons they said maybe a DLC with a riding dragon but has not been confirmed yet. Other mount would make the game much better But im sure there will be mods out there will all kindas of mounts.

Tri-edge

yerr they changed it :) i think the new thing is great you can only Upgrade you weapon and it can never get weaker. it just makes you feel much more stonger in the games knowing you weapon wont break on you at any time.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
The problem with weapon degradation is that developers usually make it too fast (e.g. “Dead Island”) so that it gets annoying for the player. But if they were to make it realistic then you would have to repair them very rarely and they’d ask themselves “Why did we even put this in if it is barely noticeable”?

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
The problem with weapon degradation is that developers usually make it too fast (e.g. “Dead Island”) so that it gets annoying for the player. But if they were to make it realistic then you would have to repair them very rarely and they’d ask themselves “Why did we even put this in if it is barely noticeable”?
Yea, that's a good point. In Oblivion, weapons degraded too fast and it was even more frustrating that I can't repair my enchanted weapons because my armorer skill was too low. Now that we have smithing, I think it's reasonable to have slower equipment degradation. Being able to repair your gear should make smithing feel more important as it should be. I don't want it to be like 'make the best item once, never use it again skill'.

Tusck

Yea, that's a good point. In Oblivion, weapons degraded too fast and it was even more frustrating that I can't repair my enchanted weapons because my armorer skill was too low. Now that we have smithing, I think it's reasonable to have slower equipment degradation. Being able to repair your gear should make smithing feel more important as it should be. I don't want it to be like 'make the best item once, never use it again skill'.

I completely agree with this. It would be a perfect addition to the smithing skill, or woodcutting in the case of bow and arrows. The speed of decay should be slowed by at least 75% and as perk they should include techniques that will make them last for even longer. But not adding it all together is very strange.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
What would you recommend for aspiring mod-developer? Somekind of to-do-list, tutorials, or whatever? I've been thinking about for a while to start modding. Right now, being unemployed, I have way too much free-time.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
If you have like no experience with either of this just think about what you would like best. Crafting stories? Designing graphics? Programming?

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
I dont have any experience with programming or designing graphics (I suppose, tweaking with paintshop pro, doesn't count). I enjoy scribble all kinds of stories, which usually lack endings. So, yes, crafting stories would be my strength, and obsession to start modding.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts