Pre-release mod talk

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Er, yes, exactly. Hexperiment seemed unsure (“I believe”) so I thought I’d provide some solid evidence.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Yeah, I just heard of it but didn't have a solid evidence. Thanks. It's nice to know you have a dog companion and dragons too, if summoning one counts :]

Jeruhmi

I just thought of a mod where you could talk to animals. Like an "Animal Whisperer" mod? It may be awesome.
You do a quest and are granted with a necklace which allows you to communicate with them.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
For all we know there might even be a perk for that. Though it’s hard to imagine a way of implementing that without it feeling weird and/or ridiculous.

Jeruhmi

It could just be one of those really weird mods, there's always got to be one :p
I might even get round to working on it. That's if the mod developer kit isn't tediously hard to use.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Have you had any experience with modding in Oblivion?

Jeruhmi

No, but I have the basic concept in my head. As I have worked with developing video games, modelling, etc in school. Every entity belongs to it's own class, group, etc and they have dialogue belonging to them. If Bethesda provides that modding kit like I heard, they'll dumb it down a lot.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Dumb it down, eh? Well, as long as they retain the possibility of more complex options it’ll be fine, I guess.

Jeruhmi

What I mean is that it should be more GUI based rather than being code based. Or perhaps there should be a beginner mod interface, intermediate, and advanced... just for the more skilled.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Simple modding kit would be nice... I did look over Software Image Mod tool to see what modding (mostly modeling) is like. Just the sheer complexity of the interface scared me away. The tool nothing instinctive. Obviously there is some learning curve to it. I'll try to get back to it if I have more time...

Jeruhmi

Simple modding kit would be nice... I did look over Software Image Mod tool to see what modding (mostly modeling) is like. Just the sheer complexity of the interface scared me away. The tool nothing instinctive. Obviously there is some learning curve to it. I'll try to get back to it if I have more time...
Blergh, I've done quite a bit of modelling in my time, It's really not for me. Basically you just have to draw shapes, pull them around, get all the axis points and vertices correct. It can be a nightmare.
That's just modelling... then there's texturing as well.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
What I mean is that it should be more GUI based rather than being code based. Or perhaps there should be a beginner mod interface, intermediate, and advanced... just for the more skilled.
That’s what I was getting it. For those who want it the kit should offer for depth.

Jeruhmi

Basically they could provide a lot of little minimal models, textures, NPC type related things. Just so beginners can create small mod packs I guess.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Blergh, I've done quite a bit of modelling in my time, It's really not for me. Basically you just have to draw shapes, pull them around, get all the axis points and vertices correct. It can be a nightmare.
That's just modelling... then there's texturing as well.
My experience with modeling was only engineering modeling... like Solidworks and AutoCAD. Those seemed more intuitive so I was hoping 3D modeling wouldn't be all that hard. I figured that engineering 3D modeling is different from artistic 3D modeling but not THAT different. :[

Jeruhmi

My experience with modeling was only engineering modeling... like Solidworks and AutoCAD. Those seemed more intuitive so I was hoping 3D modeling wouldn't be all that hard. I figured that engineering 3D modeling is different from artistic 3D modeling but not THAT different. :[
I'm afraid it really can't get much easier than those. I used 3DS Studio Max... It's really confusing, but you DO get used to it.
As for Skyrim modelling, it's probably still going to be using 3DS Studio Max to model, they wouldn't design their own modelling system.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I'm afraid it really can't get much easier than those. I used 3DS Studio Max... It's really confusing, but you DO get used to it.
As for Skyrim modelling, it's probably still going to be using 3DS Studio Max to model, they wouldn't design their own modelling system.
yeah, probably. I guess I'll try to learn how to use Creation Kit first, then modeling later.

Jeruhmi

Then again, modelling would only be for the advanced mod creators. Not saying that's not you, but beginners will stray from it.
If there's any money involved with modding and it has to do with modelling... I'll most likely be there.

Tusck

I think the general rule is that devs release mods that make everything in the game naked and anatomically correct. Once they get that out of their systems, I'm hoping to see the cool armors, interesting environments, and nice bows! We always need more bows. I also tend to use mods that create cool quests or new environments. I enjoy the story aspects, so the more of that I can get, the better.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I think the general rule is that devs release mods that make everything in the game naked and anatomically correct. Once they get that out of their systems, I'm hoping to see the cool armors, interesting environments, and nice bows! We always need more bows. I also tend to use mods that create cool quests or new environments. I enjoy the story aspects, so the more of that I can get, the better.
I think the bodies look pretty good for Skyrim, this time around. I don't think nudity is really necessary to be immersive. That's just my preference though.

Anyways, I've been thinking of few list of mods to improve some of skyrim's gameplay:
1. Disease control
2. Degrading weapons and gear
3. Spears and crossbows
4. Battle scars
5. More perks

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts