Personal RP sword idea help.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Verac

Hi i wanted to bring an old inspiration into skyrim from oblivion, The elven sword "Sin Weaver" Such a simple yet intimidating name and the idea "Sin Eater" came up i thought "Sin eater could imply in the minds of some as "Eating sins by slaying victims thus absolving them." Which makes for an extremely interesting background and reason of using the blade and its enchantments which brings me to the question. What should Sin Eaters enchantments be? what seems "Sin eating" to you? Imo it seems obvious to have absorb affects or damage magicka it could really be anything but what really cries out to you that screams "Sin Eater" enchantments ((I speak with twin enchantment perk)) besides the usual <Place damage here and soul trap>? I am also curious what you think of what Sin Weavers reincarnated form would use its old enchant was drain fatigue and fire damage. Also throw some RP ideas im still a bit stumped to how id put it with either sword. (( i will use both swords for two different chars. Thanks in advances. OH! I also want to add i do like the idea of a cursed sword thats powerful but a strong burden. Either in the mind of my char or literally cursed or so. Just one of my many ideas.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
I'd personally go with fiery soultrap and one of the absorb enchants. Fear, turn undead, and paralyze could work too.

Verac

I'd personally go with fiery soultrap and one of the absorb enchants. Fear, turn undead, and paralyze could work too.
Curious out of those enchants why choose those? What screams Sin Eater ((or Sin Weaver Whichever you are talking about) could you detail it? The turn undead kinda throws me off. If your talking about the reincarnated form of Sinweaver those all ((Except turn undead)) make sense i do like the fear adds alot of spice for an evil sword "Sinweaver" does give the feeling of a cursed sword that just looking at it gives you goosebumps but being struck would send people fleeing kinda a "Cull the weak" kind of thing to since fear dousnt always work on higher level enemies.

Last edited:

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
To be honest I'll find any excuse to use fiery soul trap. But in this context the sword would first burn the victim(cleansing through fire). And then depending on how you want to RP it. Either it releases their soul or contains it to be used for a greater good.

With the turn undead. This would be more specialized. The Drauger are Dragon cultist cursed to roam Nordic ruins forever. Maybe a quest to free them from torment

Verac

To be honest I'll find any excuse to use fiery soul trap. But in this context the sword would first burn the victim(cleansing through fire). And then depending on how you want to RP it. Either it releases their soul or contains it to be used for a greater good.

With the turn undead. This would be more specialized. The Drauger are Dragon cultist cursed to roam Nordic ruins forever. Maybe a quest to free them from torment
Well again i don't know which sword your referring to the one i came up with or the remake of oblivion's Sinweaver which fiery soultrap makes sense because the original had fire on it. Though there is always room to add more interesting new effects that make more sense to the blade..

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
So when it comes to Sin Eater as a name of a technique, a spell, ability, or sword I do tend to think about the absorb enchantments and soul trap.
Firey Soul Trap does sound pretty cool and has that cleansing feel, but maybe pairing that with weakness to magic or weakness to fire. So the idea is the burning flames is emphasized as a cleansing flame that normal resistances aren't effective against.

Sin Weaver... Sounds like an evil weapon that has an effect that isn't possible in the game.But then I checked the Oblivion wiki and was reminded of what it actually was.

I like absorb Health on principle, I think for basically an updated/ more powerful version of Sin Weaver then Fiery Soultrap and Absorb stamina would be like the "upgraded version of the Oblivion version.

Verac

So when it comes to Sin Eater as a name of a technique, a spell, ability, or sword I do tend to think about the absorb enchantments and soul trap.
Firey Soul Trap does sound pretty cool and has that cleansing feel, but maybe pairing that with weakness to magic or weakness to fire. So the idea is the burning flames is emphasized as a cleansing flame that normal resistances aren't effective against.

Sin Weaver... Sounds like an evil weapon that has an effect that isn't possible in the game.But then I checked the Oblivion wiki and was reminded of what it actually was.

I like absorb Health on principle, I think for basically an updated/ more powerful version of Sin Weaver then Fiery Soultrap and Absorb stamina would be like the "upgraded version of the Oblivion version.
Well Sin eater could be a bad weapon or rather debatable in the persons eyes, As i stated it could be seen as absolving someone of their sins via their death. Could be a very twisted view of purging "sin" or it could be a very neutral evil weapon seeing "evil" in the wielders beliefs or perhaps the blade has a notorious reputation of twisting ones beliefs to its. Just food for thought. It could also be alot like a soul edge vs soul calibur type relationship Sin eater is the "Good" version and possibly made of a different material then sin weaver. But like soul calibur even though its a "good" sword its later revealed the spirit inside is extremely forceful and goes so far as forcing ((either whispers or flat out posession)) to get what IT believes is right even if its not in your eyes.

Last edited:

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
Well, I'm going to go into, probably way too much depth for this; just a warning.

I looked into the sword that you were talking about, the mission retrieving it, it's original wielder and it's effects. In Oblivion, it's enchantment/effects drain fatigue and deal fire damage. It's also an Elven Claymore.

Now, in Skyrim there is no Fatigue, so there needs to be something that makes up for that. As Fatigue essentially effects the effectiveness of the user's actions, it'll be rather difficult to really capture that. Now, when I think of Sinweaver, it's name to me describes it as a weapon that fills it's target or wielder with sin, darkness, evil etc. I think this because of the actual name when you dissect it. Sin is relatively easy to understand - the act of doing something evil, or something considered a transgression. Weaving is just as simple - combining or interlacing the fibers of something to create something new, something stronger. So essentially what I am thinking is that the weapon fills whosoever uses the weapon, or is targeted by it with some sort of power while also destroying them as a side effect.

So, for Sinweaver what I am thinking is that it's first enchantment would be Absorb Stamina. This substitutes Drain Fatigue as best you can in Skyrim, and also fills the wielder's stamina reserves. So right there, you are weaving in the energy of another into your own - and in my mind, this could be seen as a sinful act. Stealing the very energy of another person? Seems pretty unnatural and rather dark if you ask me. This leads to the next bit, what negative effect would the sin have on the wielder for doing such a thing?

While in Oblivion it's secondary enchantment is Fire Damage, I don't necessarily see that as a negative effect on the user. So I am thinking the Fear enchantment instead. I know for certain, in my experience anyway, when you are wielding a two handed weapon and your foe turns tail and runs away, this can be quite the nuisance. The last thing somebody with a heavy weapon and even heavy armor wants to do in the midst of battle is attempt to run down their opponent, only to lose all the stamina they just absorbed in trying to catch them. Nothing short of annoying.

As an alternate option, filling the opponent with sin in order to negatively effect them, is rather difficult. So I am thinking the first enchantment could be the Fear enchantment. Why? Well let's think about it from a role-play perspective. Almost all enemies usually stay in combat until they die or you do, but what if something supernatural showed them what their future holds if they remained in combat with you? Something that says "hey, you should get the hell out of here before you die." What's more dishonorable than starting a battle only to run away from it? I would say that's a transgression. So what's price of such a warning, such an "edge" in battle? How about Fiery Soul Trap? Not only does it burn the foe (like in Oblivion) but it also damns their soul into the prison of a soul gem - only to await their inevitable doom once their soul is destroyed to be used for charging or enchanting.

Of course this weapon must be an Elven Greatsword, thus being an artifact of ES: IV
(This was a rather challenging thing to construct in my eyes.)

Now for Sineater, it's twin so to speak.

To me this sounds like a weapon that absorbs and uses the sins of the target to destroy them, or perhaps harnesses the power of the sins of the wielder.

So, focusing on affecting the target, I'd say the first enchantment needs to be Absorb Health. While I was thinking about Absorb Stamina, I feel like the sins of a person would be more connected with their life force rather than their energy - and if Sinweaver has Absorb Stamina on it already, it wouldn't make sense for it's twin to have the same. So, Sineater eats the sins of it's target, which in turn, drains the life force all the sins are attached to.

As for the second enchantment, the enchantment that uses the target's sins against them, I see one of 2 options: the Paralyze or Chaos enchantments. For Paralysis, what I imagine is the target's sins enveloping it's original host, freezing and overwhelming them entirely - essentially taking a physical toll on them after being removed and released from within. For Chaos, I see this as a bit more Roleplay friendly. Because it has a 50% chance of using Fire, Frost and Shock damage, I can see it as somewhat measuring the sins of your opponent. For example, you use it on one enemy, and it only does fire damage; then said enemy has fewer sins than another. Then you use it on a different enemy, and it does Frost, Fire and Shock; so this enemy is an incredibly sinful bastard.

Now to focus on the alternate option, affecting the user. For me, this requires a little bit of work, however it's worth it for the role-play and the immersion. Let's say that this weapon, in order to be used to it's full effect, the user must take something in order to link their soul with that of the very weapon. A potion of Fortify Two-handed and Damage Health; this potion can be made with Troll Fat, Dragon's Tongue, and Deathbell combined. This is to fit into the roleplaying of the weapon's effects. Absorb health, in order for this weapon to work, has to harness the sins of it's user - which are attached to their life-force. So, popping this potion before use of Sineater would act like you are removing the sins from your life force while linking with the weapon, in order for it's power to be harnessed.

Now, once your sins are connected with the weapon, you'll not only get a boost for your two-handed ability, you'll get access to the weapon's enchantments. The first enchantment could be the Paralyze enchantment. Like the alternate version of this, the user's sins will envelop and immobilize the target, physically affecting them. It's second enchantment could be, again, the Chaos enchantment. Just like the alternate, this could be a measurement of your specific character's sins for that use of the weapon. The second enchantment could also be any of the Elemental Damage enchantments. I'd say if this is the option you go with, I'd pick whatever element you think aligns with the character that you are using at the moment. Perhaps a Battlemage would be using Shock, as Shock does damage to both health and magicka; which could be viewed as a connection with the users magical prowess. Maybe if your character is a Nord, it would be Frost, to represent their frost-born skin and souls. The options go on.

As for the type of weapon that this would be, I'm thinking something that could be looked at as the opposite of Sinweaver - an Elven blade. Something just as elegant, but somewhat of a yin to Sinweaver's yang. I'm thinking an Ebony Greatsword would be particularly perfect for this. It's pretty, stunning, and dark - opposite of Elven crafts' light.

Sorry for the wall of text :p I hope you like the ideas!

Verac

Well, I'm going to go into, probably way too much depth for this; just a warning.

I looked into the sword that you were talking about, the mission retrieving it, it's original wielder and it's effects. In Oblivion, it's enchantment/effects drain fatigue and deal fire damage. It's also an Elven Claymore.

Now, in Skyrim there is no Fatigue, so there needs to be something that makes up for that. As Fatigue essentially effects the effectiveness of the user's actions, it'll be rather difficult to really capture that. Now, when I think of Sinweaver, it's name to me describes it as a weapon that fills it's target or wielder with sin, darkness, evil etc. I think this because of the actual name when you dissect it. Sin is relatively easy to understand - the act of doing something evil, or something considered a transgression. Weaving is just as simple - combining or interlacing the fibers of something to create something new, something stronger. So essentially what I am thinking is that the weapon fills whosoever uses the weapon, or is targeted by it with some sort of power while also destroying them as a side effect.

So, for Sinweaver what I am thinking is that it's first enchantment would be Absorb Stamina. This substitutes Drain Fatigue as best you can in Skyrim, and also fills the wielder's stamina reserves. So right there, you are weaving in the energy of another into your own - and in my mind, this could be seen as a sinful act. Stealing the very energy of another person? Seems pretty unnatural and rather dark if you ask me. This leads to the next bit, what negative effect would the sin have on the wielder for doing such a thing?

While in Oblivion it's secondary enchantment is Fire Damage, I don't necessarily see that as a negative effect on the user. So I am thinking the Fear enchantment instead. I know for certain, in my experience anyway, when you are wielding a two handed weapon and your foe turns tail and runs away, this can be quite the nuisance. The last thing somebody with a heavy weapon and even heavy armor wants to do in the midst of battle is attempt to run down their opponent, only to lose all the stamina they just absorbed in trying to catch them. Nothing short of annoying.

As an alternate option, filling the opponent with sin in order to negatively effect them, is rather difficult. So I am thinking the first enchantment could be the Fear enchantment. Why? Well let's think about it from a role-play perspective. Almost all enemies usually stay in combat until they die or you do, but what if something supernatural showed them what their future holds if they remained in combat with you? Something that says "hey, you should get the hell out of here before you die." What's more dishonorable than starting a battle only to run away from it? I would say that's a transgression. So what's price of such a warning, such an "edge" in battle? How about Fiery Soul Trap? Not only does it burn the foe (like in Oblivion) but it also damns their soul into the prison of a soul gem - only to await their inevitable doom once their soul is destroyed to be used for charging or enchanting.

Of course this weapon must be an Elven Greatsword, thus being an artifact of ES: IV
(This was a rather challenging thing to construct in my eyes.)

Now for Sineater, it's twin so to speak.

To me this sounds like a weapon that absorbs and uses the sins of the target to destroy them, or perhaps harnesses the power of the sins of the wielder.

So, focusing on affecting the target, I'd say the first enchantment needs to be Absorb Health. While I was thinking about Absorb Stamina, I feel like the sins of a person would be more connected with their life force rather than their energy - and if Sinweaver has Absorb Stamina on it already, it wouldn't make sense for it's twin to have the same. So, Sineater eats the sins of it's target, which in turn, drains the life force all the sins are attached to.

As for the second enchantment, the enchantment that uses the target's sins against them, I see one of 2 options: the Paralyze or Chaos enchantments. For Paralysis, what I imagine is the target's sins enveloping it's original host, freezing and overwhelming them entirely - essentially taking a physical toll on them after being removed and released from within. For Chaos, I see this as a bit more Roleplay friendly. Because it has a 50% chance of using Fire, Frost and Shock damage, I can see it as somewhat measuring the sins of your opponent. For example, you use it on one enemy, and it only does fire damage; then said enemy has fewer sins than another. Then you use it on a different enemy, and it does Frost, Fire and Shock; so this enemy is an incredibly sinful bastard.

Now to focus on the alternate option, affecting the user. For me, this requires a little bit of work, however it's worth it for the role-play and the immersion. Let's say that this weapon, in order to be used to it's full effect, the user must take something in order to link their soul with that of the very weapon. A potion of Fortify Two-handed and Damage Health; this potion can be made with Troll Fat, Dragon's Tongue, and Deathbell combined. This is to fit into the roleplaying of the weapon's effects. Absorb health, in order for this weapon to work, has to harness the sins of it's user - which are attached to their life-force. So, popping this potion before use of Sineater would act like you are removing the sins from your life force while linking with the weapon, in order for it's power to be harnessed.

Now, once your sins are connected with the weapon, you'll not only get a boost for your two-handed ability, you'll get access to the weapon's enchantments. The first enchantment could be the Paralyze enchantment. Like the alternate version of this, the user's sins will envelop and immobilize the target, physically affecting them. It's second enchantment could be, again, the Chaos enchantment. Just like the alternate, this could be a measurement of your specific character's sins for that use of the weapon. The second enchantment could also be any of the Elemental Damage enchantments. I'd say if this is the option you go with, I'd pick whatever element you think aligns with the character that you are using at the moment. Perhaps a Battlemage would be using Shock, as Shock does damage to both health and magicka; which could be viewed as a connection with the users magical prowess. Maybe if your character is a Nord, it would be Frost, to represent their frost-born skin and souls. The options go on.

As for the type of weapon that this would be, I'm thinking something that could be looked at as the opposite of Sinweaver - an Elven blade. Something just as elegant, but somewhat of a yin to Sinweaver's yang. I'm thinking an Ebony Greatsword would be particularly perfect for this. It's pretty, stunning, and dark - opposite of Elven crafts' light.

Sorry for the wall of text :p I hope you like the ideas!
Very well said! And i love the ideas for Sin Eater but my last question is from a RP perspective what would you label Sin Eater as? A cliche good sword or something more complex similar to soul calibur and soul edge where the sword IS good but....it influences the user affecting their morals and choices on what is truly "evil" either by subtle means or perhaps it chooses wielders who has the same ideals as it. ((Similar to the iceblade of the monarch how it went from user to user or umbra as a better example)) a "Good" blade but is it truly? Something judged by different peoples minds that sort of deal what do you think?

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
For me, if you go with the idea where you have to use the potion over and over, I'd say that it is like soul edge, but not in so conventional means. The first, and probably more obvious negative thing that comes from it all, is the potion. One could roleplay that drinking so much of the potion, having to use it in order to use the blade, the user would likely get addicted to the feeling the potion gives you as well as the feeling the sword gives while using it. Now second, there's the fact that one absolutely MUST have sin in their life. For example, a Priest, one who never sins, no matter how much of the potion they drink the sword would be nothing more than a sword without any usable enchantment. This point also leads to this: once one is addicted to the sword and the "ritual" it takes to use it, the more often they will seek to use it. The more often they use it, the more likely they are to essentially run out of "sin reserves" or whatever you'd like to call it. How does one replenish this? By doing evil deeds. So basically like a chain reaction, eventually the user would likely go mad in seeking the constant "high" Sineater gives, and would be doing the unthinkable constantly, in order to somewhat permanently have the powers they crave.

So I guess, simply put, using the blade and it's powers slowly but surely eats it's way into the user's mind in order to be constantly used, thus changing the entire psyche of it's user before they succumb to death - however that may come. Whether it be overdose, imprisonment w/ withdrawals, whatever.

With that, I suppose that it could be said that the blade itself might be somewhat supernaturally sentient - and more accurately malicious. I don't think it would necessarily seek out those who seek power, and are already aware of the power it can give but rather the opposite; those who are ignorant of what it possesses and it's addictive properties. Seeking not the sinful, but the sinless - tempting them with it's power until they are consumed by it's tendrils of darkness before it's thrown away to be found once again. Likely those who are new to using it would probably assume that it is a positive, "good", or holy blade, a weapon which cleanses them from sin. I can liken it most to the One Ring from LOTR. It wants to be used, almost needs to be.

That's how I would RP it anyway.

(This is really making me want to make these things XD)

Verac

For me, if you go with the idea where you have to use the potion over and over, I'd say that it is like soul edge, but not in so conventional means. The first, and probably more obvious negative thing that comes from it all, is the potion. One could roleplay that drinking so much of the potion, having to use it in order to use the blade, the user would likely get addicted to the feeling the potion gives you as well as the feeling the sword gives while using it. Now second, there's the fact that one absolutely MUST have sin in their life. For example, a Priest, one who never sins, no matter how much of the potion they drink the sword would be nothing more than a sword without any usable enchantment. This point also leads to this: once one is addicted to the sword and the "ritual" it takes to use it, the more often they will seek to use it. The more often they use it, the more likely they are to essentially run out of "sin reserves" or whatever you'd like to call it. How does one replenish this? By doing evil deeds. So basically like a chain reaction, eventually the user would likely go mad in seeking the constant "high" Sineater gives, and would be doing the unthinkable constantly, in order to somewhat permanently have the powers they crave.

So I guess, simply put, using the blade and it's powers slowly but surely eats it's way into the user's mind in order to be constantly used, thus changing the entire psyche of it's user before they succumb to death - however that may come. Whether it be overdose, imprisonment w/ withdrawals, whatever.

With that, I suppose that it could be said that the blade itself might be somewhat supernaturally sentient - and more accurately malicious. I don't think it would necessarily seek out those who seek power, and are already aware of the power it can give but rather the opposite; those who are ignorant of what it possesses and it's addictive properties. Seeking not the sinful, but the sinless - tempting them with it's power until they are consumed by it's tendrils of darkness before it's thrown away to be found once again. Likely those who are new to using it would probably assume that it is a positive, "good", or holy blade, a weapon which cleanses them from sin. I can liken it most to the One Ring from LOTR. It wants to be used, almost needs to be.

That's how I would RP it anyway.

(This is really making me want to make these things XD)
Thats some seriously deep thinking i like it, The potion idea is neat but it kinda deviates from the sword and becomes more about the potion imo though its still a great idea. The second one is extremely interesting but we already have the brother blade Sinweaver for evil so it needs to be atleast to some degree good or whats the word im looking for...morally grey? def not evil but def not "Defend the innocent" good but something that kinda bounces between bad and good rather then evil and do gooder. Like i see it perhaps holding a spirit of a person who was very obsessed with justice and his long imprisonment in the blade has twisted his views on whats good or evil or perhaps thats why he was put into the blade....he vered off the path of righteousness by taking the law in his hand by being judge jury and executioner and judging whom -HE- thought was sinful. And thus he seeks people who like you said may be sinless or may show signs of himself once upon a time, Someone who seeks to purge though ...not in a nice way lol. Id like to think yes the blade does influence the mind after excessive use almost like a drug you slowly start to think like it/him thus committing "Sins" but at the same time absolving them. Thus its a vicious cycle until the user goes mad after realizing or the blade gets tired of its owner and deems them unworthy. Just more food for thought. But like i said it needs to be good in some regard but morally grey. Also like i previously said i like the idea of a cursed weapon perhaps literally or not perhaps the "curse" is all in the mind and will of the user. Hefting a nasty burden around..i dunno i just like the idea of being this tired knight/warrior lugging this blade around like its his punishment or perhaps ball and chain but at the same time a great power.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts