Paladin : Mace or Dawnbreaker?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Muart

Fus.. RO DAH!
So I am starting a Paladin build, and I just wanted to ask, should I use a mace, or Dawnbreaker? I am like half role-playing so I chose mace at first but Dawnbreaker also is holy and is good against undead so.. Which should I use?

If mace, which one? I'm not using the Mace of Molag Bol because he's evil.

Please help :D

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
You really need an answer? It's Dawnbreaker for sure. That thing is Epic. But if you are going to be Stendarrs Paladin then NO Daedric artifacts

Muart

Fus.. RO DAH!
I know, I know, but like when you role play, clerics/priests/paladins always have maces because it's better for like killing skeletons and the undead, and they were said to have blunt weapons.

Epic Keith

I know, I know, but like when you role play, clerics/priests/paladins always have maces because it's better for like killing skeletons and the undead, and they were said to have blunt weapons.

Agreed, I also think Paladins should have maces. But Dawnbreaker is so damn awesome!

It's your choice :)

sticky runes

Use dawnbreaker against undead only, and use a mace for punishing evil humans :) or, you could always duel wield dawnbreaker and a mace with a banish undead enchantment.

But I thought the idea of "holy" soldiers using blunt weapons is because they don't draw blood? (internal bleeding is ok)

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
What about a Silver Sword with Fire damage + turn undead? The ultimate re-deadener!

Epic Keith

Use dawnbreaker against undead only, and use a mace for punishing evil humans :) or, you could always duel wield dawnbreaker and a mace with a banish undead enchantment.

But I thought the idea of "holy" soldiers using blunt weapons is because they don't draw blood? (internal bleeding is ok)

Wow! Why didn't I think of it?
Dawnbreaker with a shield to repel Magic or a ward

What about a Silver Sword with Fire damage + turn undead? The ultimate re-deadener!

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker

I like that idea. Dawnbreaker for the undead only. Plus, that would also save the charges......Another weapon for the living is also a great idea. I will have to do this on my next Paladin, my 2H Barbarian has a shield to go with Dawnbreaker if he goes into another dungeon/cave with Draugr.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Personally I'd go for an Iron Mace with enchantments (particularly Banish & Turn Undead), simply because of iron's historical usage in such things. If you could actually craft a silver mace, that would be great, but, without a mod, I don't think it would really be possible. Dawnbreaker is an awesome weapon against the undead, but, as pointed out, it is a Daedric Artifact and probably an antithesis to a Paladin.

I have a question though, why is everybody only considering one handed weapons? Is it because a shield is a usual acouptement for a knight? I always play paladins as 2 handed fighters in shining heavy armour, but, hey, that may just be me. :)

Joker

Personally I'd go for an Iron Mace with enchantments (particularly Banish & Turn Undead), simply because of iron's historical usage in such things. If you could actually craft a silver mace, that would be great, but, without a mod, I don't think it would really be possible. Dawnbreaker is an awesome weapon against the undead, but, as pointed out, it is a Daedric Artifact and probably an antithesis to a Paladin.

I have a question though, why is everybody only considering one handed weapons? Is it because a shield is a usual acouptement for a knight? I always play paladins as 2 handed fighters in shining heavy armour, but, hey, that may just be me. :)

You are right in that a Paladin should not be using a daedric artifact, but it was crafted for the sole purpose of defeating the undead. Now that is a conflict, huh? I feel justified using it because of this knowledge, and that Meridia is not seen in the same light as other Daedra, she is considered good. I see a Paladin as Sword & Shield, or Sword/Shield in one hand and a spell coming from the other.

This is from the Elder Scrols Wiki:

She almost always comes in the form of a beautiful woman. Like a siren, calling mortals in to do her bidding, Meridia has always had a passionate hatred for all things undead. She takes great joy in rewarding mortals who purge the realms of the wretched walking-corpses, along with any Necromancers who have tampered with Meridia's life-giving energies. It is stated that Meridia is one of the few Daedric Princes to be benevolent and not wholly evil, if at all.

Daelon DuLac

You are right in that a Paladin should not be using a daedric artifact, but it was crafted for the sole purpose of defeating the undead. Now that is a conflict, huh? I feel justified using it because of this knowledge, and that Meridia is not seen in the same light as other Daedra, she is considered good. I see a Paladin as Sword & Shield, or Sword/Shield in one hand and a spell coming from the other.

This is from the Elder Scrols Wiki:

She almost always comes in the form of a beautiful woman. Like a siren, calling mortals in to do her bidding, Meridia has always had a passionate hatred for all things undead. She takes great joy in rewarding mortals who purge the realms of the wretched walking-corpses, along with any Necromancers who have tampered with Meridia's life-giving energies. It is stated that Meridia is one of the few Daedric Princes to be benevolent and not wholly evil, if at all.

I like Meridia (although the whole "up in the sky" thing when she talks to me gets on my nerves) and I understand that she is not considered wholly evil (I note the term "wholly" which, to me means that she is considered somewhat evil, by the way).

I understand the whole Sword/Shield thing, but I'm a traditionist. I have played Paladins and anti-Paladins since the days of D&D (and AD&D) and they have never been magic users at all (except clerical - healing, turn undead, etc...) and have always used 2 handed swords (blessed preferrably). I can see the whole sword/shield thing though if that floats your boat though. :)

Joker

I like Meridia (although the whole "up in the sky" thing when she talks to me gets on my nerves) and I understand that she is not considered wholly evil (I note the term "wholly" which, to me means that she is considered somewhat evil, by the way).

I understand the whole Sword/Shield thing, but I'm a traditionist. I have played Paladins and anti-Paladins since the days of D&D (and AD&D) and they have never been magic users at all (except clerical - healing, turn undead, etc...) and have always used 2 handed swords (blessed preferrably). I can see the whole sword/shield thing though if that floats your boat though. :)

Just so I am clear, your definition of a Paladin is as follows: Heavy Armor with a Two-Handed Sword (preferably blessed).....and......??? What race do you choose to make your Paladin?

Just curious as to what your secondary skills are, Smithing/Restoration/?????

I am always looking for inspiration and ideas to tweak my characters. The 2H thing is almost OP to me, and HA instead of the LA that my current Barbarian is wearing would be interesting.

Daelon DuLac

Just so I am clear, your definition of a Paladin is as follows: Heavy Armor with a Two-Handed Sword (preferably blessed).....and......??? What race do you choose to make your Paladin?

Just curious as to what your secondary skills are, Smithing/Restoration/?????

I am always looking for inspiration and ideas to tweak my characters. The 2H thing is almost OP to me, and HA instead of the LA that my current Barbarian is wearing would be interesting.
You got the definition that I like to use, yes. As to race, I would guess it has to do with whom you're Paladin for. If it's to all 9 divines, I would guess a human would be the most appropriate, although a High Elf could conceivably work as well. To me a Paladin needs to be Lawful Good so Thalmor or Stendarr seem to be out as they seem a bit over the top with their kidnapping and murder without direct proof.

As to secondary skills, I would certainly think that Restoration would be an excellent choice (particularly heal other and turn undead) as well as Smithing. I would also go in for Alchemy & Enchanting, particularly for healing and health enhancement as well as banishment and proof against undead.

I suppose one of the decisions that would need to be made for a Paladin to me is whether he/she is a Holy Avenger (similar to say one of the Vigilan of Stendar but without the outright murder) or if they are a Defender of Truth, in which case they could also hunt out any evil (bandits, rogues, dragons, witches, etc...).

I don't usually play the straight Holy Warrior thing as it just rubs me wrong, but the Defender of Truth is an awesome rpg.

Another option I always enjoyed in my rpg was the ne or anti-paladin. While still Lawful, their motivations were totally different and opposite of a regular Paladin. Perhaps I'll play that soon!

Joker

You got the definition that I like to use, yes. As to race, I would guess it has to do with whom you're Paladin for. If it's to all 9 divines, I would guess a human would be the most appropriate, although a High Elf could conceivably work as well. To me a Paladin needs to be Lawful Good so Thalmor or Stendarr seem to be out as they seem a bit over the top with their kidnapping and murder without direct proof.

As to secondary skills, I would certainly think that Restoration would be an excellent choice (particularly heal other and turn undead) as well as Smithing. I would also go in for Alchemy & Enchanting, particularly for healing and health enhancement as well as banishment and proof against undead.

I suppose one of the decisions that would need to be made for a Paladin to me is whether he/she is a Holy Avenger (similar to say one of the Vigilan of Stendar but without the outright murder) or if they are a Defender of Truth, in which case they could also hunt out any evil (bandits, rogues, dragons, witches, etc...).

I don't usually play the straight Holy Warrior thing as it just rubs me wrong, but the Defender of Truth is an awesome rpg.

Another option I always enjoyed in my rpg was the ne or anti-paladin. While still Lawful, their motivations were totally different and opposite of a regular Paladin. Perhaps I'll play that soon!

Yes, Defender of Truth would be my choice as well. Not too sure about the Alchemy, but if I run 2H up to Legendary, and play with Alchemy, I might consider it. Enchanting, absolutely.

Daelon DuLac

Yes, Defender of Truth would be my choice as well. Not too sure about the Alchemy, but if I run 2H up to Legendary, and play with Alchemy, I might consider it. Enchanting, absolutely.
I like the Alchemy and Heal Other as I always thought of a Paladin as sort of a Cleric (as in the old D&D definition). He would keep his followers and companions as healthy as possible. This would include disease and poison control.

Muart

Fus.. RO DAH!
I think I MIGHT just use a mace, maybe even Iron like Daelon said for aesthetics. I guess even if it's only iron you can make any weapon OP with enchants :p

Also, another question : Should I use healing spells or turn undead spells? I don't like wards because its like a "per second thing", and it takes way to much mana. I'm kinda leaning towards healing spells since if I do use the iron mace, I'm prob going to do turn undead as an enchant...

Lightningfalcon

Seems khajit...
Dawnbreaker is the ultimate paladin weapon, paladin is a holy light fighter wiping out any demons, dead and evil wherever he goes.

If you choose mace you'll probably be lead to mace of molag bal which is a demon lord artifact.
Well so is merdia, but she is a good demon lord.

Muart

Fus.. RO DAH!
Molag Bal = Evil. I am not doing it.
So here are the choices :

Silver Sword
Iron Mace
Dawnbreaker

And no, I will not upgrade with smithing, but I WILL enchant. Vote?

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
Spellbreaker :)

Joker

Molag Bal = Evil. I am not doing it.
So here are the choices :

Silver Sword
Iron Mace
Dawnbreaker

And no, I will not upgrade with smithing, but I WILL enchant. Vote?

I would smith, in order to improve the damage done to the evil foes, and enchant to turn them. Hell, once you get high enough, smithing a greatsword & enchanting it with the dawnbreaker enchantment might be the way to go....unless you find a better sword in your travels. Skyforge might be the one to get early anyway. Dawnbreaker doesn't do a great deal of damage, and the recharge is costly.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts