• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

angry_half-ling

Nerevar, God Killer
What do you think are the most overpowered spells in the game? o_O Imo, Ritual Stone is REALLY overpowered.

Harperlarp

All destruction spells are horribly underpowered IMO. Fireball looks awesome but is weak as hell, runes aren't worth bothering with because they use twice as much magicka as they should and don't scale with the upgraded element perks.

As for overpowered. Invisibility. It's awesome but as soon as you have invisibility, quiet casting, and assassins blade you can kill anyone, anywhere, and get away with it.

angry_half-ling

Nerevar, God Killer
Wow didn't know that :p

angry_half-ling

Nerevar, God Killer
OMG IKR LOL ROFL?!?!?!?!!?!? so much acronyms :D

ShadowGambit

I agree that Invisibility is a little overpowered, but if you don't have it in conjunction with a high sneak, muffle and Quiet casting, then it is not overpowered anymore, because you really have to work to get to all the prerequisite.

Now destruction is not underpowered though.

Yes, I do 4 time more damage with my dagger or with my bow than with an expert level destruction spell. And that is without the sneak multipliers either.

But Destruction spells are not affected by armor rating, contrarly to melee or Archery damage. Only Resist affects it.

So for example, to do the same amount of damage on a target that have a capped armor but no resist at the end as an expert Destruction spell (60 pts of damage), your bow or you dagger will have to do 300 pts of damage. You better have +x% Fortify Archery/One-handed/Two-handed enchantment in your armor, because otherwise NO WEAPON, even fully upgrade and with all the right perk can do that amount of damage.

Don't forget that destruction spells also bring a second damage: Fire does physical damage overtime. Frost slow your enemies and deal Stamina damage (great against Melee opponents). Shock deals magicka damage (great against casters).

So overall, I don't think destruction spells are underpowered. their damage is just calculated differently.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
But Destruction spells are not affected by armor rating, contrarly to melee or Archery damage. Only Resist affects it.
Given the almost non-existence of enemies with physical damage resistance, and the total absence of enemies with any significant physical damage resistance, this is a distinction without a difference. Damage-wise Destruction magic is relatively underpowered compared to melee or archery combat until you have the Master level spells, and for those you need to significantly mitigate Magicka cost with Fortify Destruction enchanted gear. The saving grace for Destruction magic up until that point is the Impact perk.

Adam Warlock

If cost is no object (Dagmar`s Gear) , then the Lightning Storm spell qualifies as OP.

So devastating that it will turn Dragr Deathlords and Ancient Dragons into ash piles even without the Disintergrate perk !

ShadowGambit

Your armor rating is your physical damage resistance. Yours and NPC. Even your follower has Armor rating compares to there level in Light or Haevy Armor.

As a player, your multiplier is 0,4 and you add your perks. As a follower, the multiplier is 1,5, and there is NO perk. Just try, put some armor in your follower and you will see the difference. That gives your follower a better armor rating than you have if you don't have all the armor perks, wearing the same armor as you do.

On that part, the script for NPC are no different than for follower. Actually, with the console, you can get a lot of NPC and even some creature as followers.

So far I didn't really see a lot of humanoid enemies NOT wearing armor, except for casters. But not a lot of them have magic/fire/frost/shock resist on their apparel, outside of their race specification.

Creatures also have their "natural" armor included in the calculation though.

Xarnac

Yeah, destruction at higher levels on higher difficulties is underpowered and becomes a spam joke.

Just more reason to have had spell creation.

angry_half-ling

Nerevar, God Killer
Yeah I still don't understand why they took out spellmaking. I for one miss being able to make hilariously godly spells. :p

Xarnac

I miss making any spell, unique, to flesh out a build, or to make a whole new one. To make more nuanced builds viable with fewer skills, etc. All gone, and replaced with a system that gets old after only a handful of magic builds.

angry_half-ling

Nerevar, God Killer
yeah. Making a godly spell with Fire, Ice, and Lightning was pretty cool. :sadface:

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
...So far I didn't really see a lot of humanoid enemies NOT wearing armor, except for casters. But not a lot of them have magic/fire/frost/shock resist on their apparel, outside of their race specification...
NPC armor is untempered and NPC armor skill is generally low. Most NPC's with armor have an armor rating of 30 to 70. Even a Bandit Chief in full steel plate armor only has an armor rating of 134 and a Dremora Lord in Daedric armor tops the list with an unimpressive armor rating of 193.
Creatures also have their "natural" armor included in the calculation though.
No they don't. They have no physical damage resistance. This is all verifiable using console commands.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts