Outfit Ideas for Native American Character

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Swordsmansmith

I've always liked native american culture and my grandmother was part Cherokee after seeing some character creation options I decided to make a character based on a native american. So far im wearing saviors hide chest piece and leather bracers/boots. No head piece it would flatten his Mohawk. Im a light skinned redguard as my race
and for weapons im dual wielding axes, daggers for backstab and a bow. Stealth all the way. I was wondering any suggestions on better bracers/boots that would fit with my build?

M'aiqaelF

Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO
fur or hide

Swordsmansmith

Im looking for something with higher armor rating. It sucks there's no perk for any of the animal skin type armors. Leather is the best of the bunch that I've seen. I've upgraded but again no corresponding smithing perk to double upgrade stats.

M'aiqaelF

hmmmm...i wonder if the forsworn armor you get after breaking out of the Markarth prison is better than normal forsworn armor.......

Gore gro-Gijakudob

My first thought was Forswarn armour too, unfortunately it is a trade off for how you want your character to look vs the cold hard practicalities. I'm afraid a native American warrior in fur/leather armour with a couple of axes wouldn't really stand up against a Knight in full plate with a greatsword.

M'aiqaelF

My first thought was Forswarn armour too, unfortunately it is a trade off for how you want your character to look vs the cold hard practicalities. I'm afraid a native American warrior in fur/leather armour with a couple of axes wouldn't really stand up against a Knight in full plate with a greatsword.

that's why you'd have to go sneak/sniper with this build

Mad-God Rigamortis TuDoap

Rogue Extraordinaire
I would say go with the Arch Mage robes- no armor rating but it's made of feathers and looks quite shamanistic.

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
I feel your pain, I'm playing a barbarian type character and attempting a dual-wielding war-axe build and it's really difficult to expect decent protection from leather and furs. For something like this, I'd suggest what Mad-God Rigamortis TuDoap mentioned above; try the Arch-Mage robes and a mage/sneak build. Daggers and other small weapons, and even bows could work with this if you balance the perks right. It would give your character a shamanistic feel without deviating from your Native American theme.

Also, great character idea. My great-grandmother was full-blooded Cherokee, so I admire the representation. ;)

Swordsmansmith

Im going for a stealth build and it's fine so far. Archery and sneak are very powerful. Definitely sticking with saviors hide for chest piece. Looks cool and 100% immune to poison and adds to my magic immunity. With the lord stone and Mara's blessing I can be 55% immune to magic. I do want better bracers/ gauntlets though. Once I get daedric weapons my damage output will be enough to offset the low armor. Id like to stick with steel for the look but just not feasible

YoungLord94

Yokudan Refugee
i hope they put the spears in....that would be awesome on your build
nope

But as for the Native American theme, your sh#t out of luck. There are pretty much no Native references in Skyrim. Mostly everything is based on European mythology. Just because the foresworn armor has feathers doesn't make it Native style. And i don't think dressing up as some generic Native stereotype is a good way to honor Native culture. Do you know anything about cherokee culture?

Azriel

you should go look up the skyrim dlc on you tube...the made a bunch of stuff they might put in. on a side note just the fact he would want to honor them should count dude. dont down him for that.

Jaeger

ANY armor will meet the armor cap. I have bought or found (not make) fortify smitting equipment and bought potions that add 30 to 40 to smitting skill.

OP: two forsworn axes. And diadem of the savant (it counts as light armor) to answer the light armor set and still show your Mohawk.

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
nope

But as for the Native American theme, your sh#t out of luck. There are pretty much no Native references in Skyrim. Mostly everything is based on European mythology. Just because the foresworn armor has feathers doesn't make it Native style. And i don't think dressing up as some generic Native stereotype is a good way to honor Native culture. Do you know anything about cherokee culture?

There's no reason for the negativity. I'm sure he is, as is everyone else, aware the themes of Skyrim correlate heavily with Norse history and mythology. He's simply doing the best he can, with what he has. It's called role playing, and often times a lot of it involves making due, creativity, and imagination. I know quite a bit about Cherokee culture, and I don't find his attempts at a generic "stereotype", as you put it, to be offensive nor off-putting. A bit of friendliness goes quite a way.

YoungLord94

Yokudan Refugee
you should go look up the skyrim dlc on you tube...the made a bunch of stuff they might put in. on a side note just the fact he would want to honor them should count dude. dont down him for that.
I'm not. I'm trying to help him actually. the intent is besides the point. when your doing it wrong, your doing it wrong. Most enrolled Natives will tell you that they don't appreciate when people appropriate their culture.
Its not up to non natives to decide what is and isn't offensive to natives. But don't take my word for it.

http://mycultureisnotatrend.tumblr.com/

http://nativeappropriations.blogspot.com/

Andante

Roleplaying Moderator
I'm not. I'm trying to help him actually. the intent is besides the point. when your doing it wrong, your doing it wrong. Most enrolled Natives will tell you that they don't appreciate when people appropriate their culture.
Its not up to non natives to decide what is and isn't offensive to natives. But don't take my word for it.

http://mycultureisnotatrend.tumblr.com/

http://nativeappropriations.blogspot.com/

I agree, when YOU'RE doing it wrong, it's wrong. However, if you read my previous post, I am myself of Native American blood. Now, I don't pretend to speak for all members of my culture, but his intentions are not to lampoon the Cherokee culture, simply to emulate it with the means presented to him. And I, myself, am not offended by that.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts