1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums. You totally should register so you can experience everything our community offers. We have various resources related to Skyrim which include a massive array of Guides and Tutorials. If you're here just for the discussion you can check out our General Skyrim Discussion section or if you're here for help you can check out our Skyrim Help section. We also have the latest Skyrim News and fun stuff like Roleplaying and even a Skyrim Fan Fiction section!

Are you here to discuss Dawnguard? You may discuss it by signing up and checking out this section.

So if you love Skyrim you should join for sure. Click the 'Sign Up' button on the right to register your account. You can register with your Facebook or Steam account.

One handed + shield or two handed

Discussion in 'General Skyrim Discussion' started by Frankie English, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Frankie English Dragonborn

Message Count:
    And what type of armor, light or heavy
  2. Frankie English Dragonborn

Message Count:
    Actually going to use heavy armor
  3. The Fallen Hero Master Assassin; Hybrid

Message Count:
    If you're gonna be using either of those, use Heavy. You get more power but slower attacks with 2H and faster but weaker attacks, and less damage taken due to your shield. It's all your preference.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. The_Deadliest_Troll Melon Lord

Message Count:
    Like Fallen said, it's mostly personal preference really. Having a sheild will make you quite tank-like while using a 2H weapon can give you devastating burst damage. I personally am having a lot of fun playing my 2H warrior right now. Makes me feel like a boss! :p
    The Fallen Hero likes this.
  5. tigersauce Caravan Guard

Message Count:
    Sword and shield makes for a pretty traditional experience which can be quite enjoyable if you're tired of tanking with your mage or 2hander, but I'd say if you're using 2handed, use heavy armor, if you're not, still use heavy armor. Heavy Armor at higher levels is pretty god-like.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DdraigGwyn Cymru

Message Count:
    I went through this a while back: the majority suggested one-handed. You have the flexibility of a shield, second weapon or magic in the other. I followed their advice and it has worked out well for my Orc warrior. The heavy armor makes sense for a warrior type, just give yourself enough Stamina to wear it ad still carry all the loot.
    lastphoenix likes this.
  7. Drewski Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(

Message Count:
    A shield? Why? That's a hand behind your back that could be used for something else...(Destruction, Illusion, Conjuring or Restoration)...

Apologies for the banal first post, I'll illuminate if anyone wants me to ;)
  8. Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I don`t carry a shield much now since my body armor is close to the cap without one. But you can`t discount the value of the possible 2 extra enchantments you get for using one. Extra Health and/or Resist Magic on a shield can free up other armor enchant slots for improving your damage output in 1h or archery or adding to your stamina.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Drewski Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(

Message Count:
    But they aren't going to work, unless you have the shield equipped (if they do its a bug)..You cant have a shield and a bow active at the same time
  10. Frankie English Dragonborn

Message Count:
    So the majority is?
  11. kirak95197 Writer

Message Count:
    On my Khajit Assassin he is Dual sword and kicks butt. Not including the awesome executions.
  12. SGT_Sky Silence, My Brother

Message Count:
    I don't think there is a majority, it all comes down to personal preference man. I honestly like 1 handing and having a shield i can swap out with on a moments notice if i need to (sometimes i like to cast a few spells) and honestly i think that offers you the most protection possible. and definitely use heavy armor
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Kuurus Active Member

Message Count:
    The main reason to use a shield in this game has nothing to do with armor. You can reach the cap with any type of armor, light or heavy, without the use of a shield if you use Enchanting and Smithing.

The main advantage of a shield is in the Elemental Protection and Block Runner perks. Combine it with the right build of resistances, and mages (which are generally the achilles heel of well armored tanks) are no longer a threat. Blocking now provides +50% resistance to fire/frost/shock and you are able to move at normal speed while doing so and "close the gap" to mages quickly. There is as previously mentioned, the 2 extra enchantment slots available to you as well to consider.

As others have said, it comes down to personal preference and any build/style can do well in this game, but in weighing the pros and cons, these are the things you need to consider in regards to a shield.
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Tannia: 1 Point Mar 31, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. RainNStorm Member

Message Count:
    Honestly :)
    use both lol :D
    If you are warrior you are supposed to be good with all traditional warriour weapons
    I started as one handed and shield warriour and got tired of it
    than switched to two handed and leveled very fast coz of it ^^
    why to choose hell I am even traning my bow right now but I suck with it -.-
  15. Nakatsu_Hime Active Member

Message Count:
    I agree with DdraigGwyn-san.

I find a sword in one hand, and some hurty magic in the other makes me happy.

16. TheGreatPretender Member

Message Count:
    On my first play through I went with 1 handed weapons in one hand and restoration/destruction in the other which was really fun. But now I have made an Orc warrior and I'm having alot of fun with 2 handed weapons. Only problem is the switching to restoration. But this can be hot keyed for quick switching.

As for armour I would say Heavy all day. Daedric armour is awsome!
  17. DanielJS I abuse my powers.

Message Count:
    Im going shield and fist....not bad so far with heavy armor of course.
  18. SGT_Sky Silence, My Brother

Message Count:
    then you may be interested in this video:

not mine, but very informative

CAUTION: may contain slight spoilers
    Tannia likes this.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. DanielJS I abuse my powers.

Message Count:
    wow that is really helpful. It kinda sucks that with a shield i dont get some of those awesome execution sequences.
    SGT_Sky likes this.
  20. Buffington Battle-Born 3 B's, Ho!

Message Count:
    I have Otar for a helmet, Steel Plate armor, Dwarven Boots of Strength, Dwarven Gauntlets (Fine), and the Ring of Hircine. As for weapons, I use an Ebony Dagger (Fine) in my left hand, and Tulius' Glass Sword in my right.