• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Having not played the other TES Games would you have invested in Oblivion knowing its state.

• No, 2007? Better technology at that time little to no excuse.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Yes, I don't play for the artistic point.

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hannah

To the hardcore fan of The Elder Scrolls this is going to burn or anger.

I play video games to immerse myself in a world non-exsisting in this one. I've been playing Oblivion and am... finding it difficult to do so. Between the poor graphics and shameful voice acting the game on the scale of art is a piece of plops. This game came out in 2007. 2007. What the hell happened Betheseda? Were funds so short? The voice acting is... unforgivable you had talent in your hands and you just squandered it. Who was your voice Director?

Funds are one thing but passion. Passion it what drives a good game. I cannot get into the plot of this wonderful storyline because the voice acting DOES NOT DELIVER! The animation and graphics are just so... dreadful. You did manage to set a mood I compliment you that but everything else belongs in the trash. The animation is stiff and awkward.

The voice acting is what gets me. Omg I laugh I LAUGH when a bandit says in a mono-tone voice: I'll kill you or my favorite: Why don't you just jump on my sword. God... thats just terrible

My only guess is you let the interns whom had no passion for the genre and you let them butcher it.

Oblivion is a sham and I am disgusted by how much of a fan base it has and how it managed to not go bankrupt for pushing out such a deplorable product.

How did Skyrim (whose graphics, gameplay, and voice acting can be questioned) come after this? Had I played Oblivion I would have sent it back and told Skyrim to kiss my butt. SERIOUSLY.

Maybe Bethselda is full of writers whose artistic abilities peak at drawing stick figures. I state this because really.. Oblivion doesn't deserve the praise it got and still gets it is a sham.

I give them credit they have a loyal fan base and to their Fan Base: You deserve better.

Harc

Big Hog
GOTY was 2007 regular release date was 2006. And for the time, oblivion had great graphics. The fighting was a little bland though. And the scenery was amazing.

Hannah

GOTY was 2007 regular release date was 2006. And for the time, oblivion had great graphics. The fighting was a little bland though. And the scenery was amazing.

Scenery WAS amazing but no the graphics were not look up games that came out before that. 2006 had better graphics for pc before then.

Harc

Big Hog
Scenery WAS amazing but no the graphics were not look up games that came out before that. 2006 had better graphics for pc before then.
1999 I think doom 3 came out? WOW look at the graphics in that game! They are amazing!

Hannah

1999 I think doom 3 came out? WOW look at the graphics in that game! They are amazing!

How about: Soul Reaver 2 2001, Silent Hill 2 2001 (then again comparing sh is weird.. monsters are weird). Also this isn't just able graphics ANIMATION, Animation was not an excuse you do not need great graphics to make great animation. The animation was crude. And what do you say for the voice acting?

Harc

Big Hog
How able: Soul Reave 2, Silent Hill 2. Also this isn't just able graphics ANIMATION, Animation was not an excuse you do not need great graphics to make great animation. The animation was crude. And what do you say for the voice acting?
The voice acting was awful. There was only like 8 voice actors in the entire game :D

Hannah

True, there is a lot of characters in oblivion

The had 18 but about 6 of them were specific didn't play more than 2-3 characters. Animation is an issue. The plot is interesting and everything, but its frustrating to have such an interesting story be told by the blandest voice.

Gunnbjorn

Formerly known as Arillious
To the hardcore fan of The Elder Scrolls this is going to burn or anger.

I play video games to immerse myself in a world non-exsisting in this one. I've been playing Oblivion and am... finding it difficult to do so. Between the poor graphics and shameful voice acting the game on the scale of art is a piece of pl***. This game came out in 2007. 2007. What the hell happened Betheseda? Were funds so short? The voice acting is... unforgivable you had talent in your hands and you just squandered it. Who was your voice Director?

Funds are one thing but passion. Passion it what drives a good game. I cannot get into the plot of this wonderful storyline because the voice acting DOES NOT DELIVER! The animation and graphics are just so... dreadful. You did manage to set a mood I compliment you that but everything else belongs in the trash. The animation is stiff and awkward.

The voice acting is what gets me. Omg I laugh I LAUGH when a bandit says in a mono-tone voice: I'll kill you or my favorite: Why don't you just jump on my sword. God... thats just terrible

My only guess is you let the interns whom had no passion for the genre and you let them butcher it.

Oblivion is a sham and I am disgusted by how much of a fan base it has and how it managed to not go bankrupt for pushing out such a deplorable product.

How did Skyrim (whose graphics, gameplay, and voice acting can be questioned) come after this? Had I played Oblivion I would have sent it back and told Skyrim to kiss my butt. SERIOUSLY.

Maybe Bethselda is full of writers whose artistic abilities peak at drawing stick figures. I state this because really.. Oblivion doesn't deserve the praise it got and still gets it is a sham.

I give them credit they have a loyal fan base and to their Fan Base: You deserve better.

It was made 6 years ago, Skyrim ruined it for you. That was top of the notch at that time. It also has a more-than-normal bright atmosphere, which always put you in a good mood. I have great memories in Oblivion. I think the faction quests in that game are better than those in Skyrim, personally - much better plots. Skyrim is of course better graphics wise, but the constant greyness, even during the daytime can sometimes sadden you. Oblivion was and is still great. It revolutionized MMORPGs, and the terrible voice acting, animation, and graphics you think it has because you've been surrounded by newer games were amazing at that time.

If you watch a black and white television, obviously you're going to say it's terrible and you can't enjoy it. But the people who grew up in the time where TVs were only in black and white will beg to differ, it was the big thing at that time, and things improved and now something even better is out. Your one of those who can't enjoy an oldie but goodie because you're too picky, which is sad - because your kind misses out on great games.

Hannah

It was made 6 years ago, Skyrim ruined it for you.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I was playing video games before, I knew Oblvion was out I also beleive I played the demo or something of the sort and wasn't impressed by it. As I stated above I'm driven by the art of a game, Oblivion did not deliver and even with the lore interest its still difficult to enjoy.

Like I said Bethselda has an amazing fan base they're lucky. Any other company try to do that with a new game they'd be in the crapper.

Gunnbjorn

I couldn't agree with you more.

I was playing video games before, I knew Oblvion was out I also beleive I played the demo or something of the sort and wasn't impressed by it. As I stated above I'm driven by the art of a game, Oblivion did not deliver and even with the lore interest its still difficult to enjoy.

Like I said Bethselda has an amazing fan base they're lucky. Any other company try to do that with a new game they'd be in the crapper.

It's one of those games you get attached to because of the depth, a person who isn't into it is a person who isn't into it - everyone has their own preferences when it comes to what games they do or do not like. From the looks of OP's post however, it seems clear that he started playing Oblivion within the last two years, after the release of Skyrim, his ranting and his bashing on Oblivion is coming from it's comparison to Skyrim, a game with next generation technology and design systems.

Hannah

Your one of those who can't enjoy an oldie but goodie because you're too picky, which is sad - because your kind misses out on great games.

What I gain from being picky is a small group of games I play over and over again and just love it more. I have only a few games, games I still play. Love them. Loyal to them like you are to Oblivion. I think I'm happy to have not played Oblivion. I went into Skyrim with a blank slate no expectations. The game was thrilling for me, to enter a world vast and beautiful and a legendary story.

Hannah

I am the OP. And yes I just started playing, I played for the lore my expectations were low, expected repeating dialog but the voice acting infuriated me.

KaitoGhost

Sea Sponge First Mate
Oblivion wasn't about the voice acting, or the graphics. It was about the open world sandbox. If you saw a mountain in the distance, you could actually run over there and climb it. It had so many options, so much to do.

Hannah

Oblivion wasn't about the voice acting, or the graphics. It was about the open world sandbox. If you saw a mountain in the distance, you could actually run over there and climb it. It had so many options, so much to do.

You make a great point. Thanks for reminding me of those days. I'll try to remember that when playing.

Gunnbjorn

I am the OP. And yes I just started playing, I played for the lore my expectations were low, expected repeating dialog but the voice acting infuriated me.

If your expectations were low, then why did you come on here and started bashing on the game? That doesn't really make any sense. My first James Bond movie was the 2006 one with Daniel Craig. It was cool, the action, the killing, the whole character.

When I went to go see the older versions after that, like the 80's Bonds with Timothy Dalton, I went in their with low expectations as well. I saw it, the fighting was more noticeably fake, and had those over-dramatic punch sounds when anyone punched anyone.

I saw it, it was clear that the Daniel Craig Bonds were way more thrilling and action-packed, but hey - my father said they were still the best. I saw it, I didn't enjoy it that much - but I didn't turn around and began ranting about how much better the Daniel Craig Bond's were - because there's a 20 year difference.

My example may be a little too different than the current topic - but hopefully you see where I'm coming from.

Hannah

If your expectations were low, then why did you come on here and started bashing on the game? That doesn't really make any sense.

My expectations were low as in: I am not playing this game for the graphics I am playing it for the lore. I am bashing the game because I lost sight of what it was about, like you said: Skyrim ruined it for as well newer games that I've played.

You mistake my post as purely malicious. It was a rant a gamer frustrated with the artistic quality of the game. I was looking at one aspect of the game but not the whole picture.

Gunnbjorn

My expectations were low as in: I am not playing this game for the graphics I am playing it for the lore. I am bashing the game because I lost sight of what it was about, like you said: Skyrim ruined it for as well newer games that I've played.

You mistake my post as purely malicious. It was a rant a gamer frustrated with the artistic quality of the game. I was looking at one aspect of the game but not the whole picture.

You were complaining about graphics, voice acting, even the entirety of Bethesda. Yet all at once you are trying to pay respect to the Fan base.

Here's a tip - If you want to respect the fan base, do not go onto an Elder Scrolls forum website, and bash the game in front of the fan base.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts