• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I am a newbie at Oblivion, trying to give it another go before I give up completely. Can anyone, please for the love of my sanity, direct me to a GOOD YouTube video on how to do the persuasion mini game and how to unlock locks? I just can't get the hang of it. Most of the videos I have watched were so ill done I still had no idea what to do. I am on Xbox.

xsneakyxsimx

For persuasion, you want to look at the NPC's facial expressions. It's usually a big smile for best, little smile for good, small scowl for bad and a cross look from worst. It's a great clue as to which actions are beneficial. And for the lockpicks, it's just a matter of timing it to when the tumbler stick to the top of the lock. That's really the best I can help with that. :)

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
best bet for picking locks is Join the Mages Guild and Buy the Unlock Locks Spells

ultimatedovahkiin

Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.
Okay, lockpicking is rather simple once you get the hang of it here's what you do. you put the pick under the tumblers and then lightly but hard enough they actually move, you hit them so they go up once they are at the top press the action button. TIMING IS THE KEY. If you press the action button to soon or too late, the tumbler will come down and smash the pick. you can change strengths of hitting the tumbler depending on how quickly you move the pick up. Now, if this all seems difficult here is a much easier but rather expensive technique, buy a lot of lock picks and repeatedly press the auto pick button this will be located during the lockpick mini game it should say at the bottom what button to press to do it. Simply keep pressing the button until it works, however, every time it doesnt the pick will break so keep a lot of picks on you. When you are a high enough level you can do Nocturnal's mission and get the skeleton key (im sorry i dont remeber the level you have to be) once you get that like Skyrim the pick is unbreakable so you can just auto pick whenever you want and it wont break. doing that saved me a lot of frustration.

Persuasion, it's easy once you know what to do. You simply find out what the person likes and hates, to do this simply move the selection icon around the wheel and the things that give the person a smile, the person likes. The bigger of the 2 smiles is what he/she likes best, the smaller is a sorta like. A small scowl is something they dislike and the look they give you that makes it seem like you brutally killed their family and then raped his/her dog to death is what they hate. Inside the wheel segments there will be yellow fillings. These move each time you make a selection. The biggest one does the most so it's best to get this is one of the smile segements as it will do a lot of good instead of take away. It's the same thing with the second biggest. Then the little ones do the least so it's best to try and get those to the disliked things. It'll take some time but eventually you will manage to master the wheel as I did. I'm not sure if you have to have a high enough persuasion level, but sometimes there is a thing under the wheel that says push a certain button and the fillings will shift, i think the exact wording is move wheel. that'll be beneficial because it can help you if you messed up and if you use it right it helps strategically. Once you get them to a high enough dispositon or diposition, or whatever the word is, then the game will stop and it'll say disposition maxed. and then you've fully persuaded them and can get any info you want. or whatever the game will let you get.

Hope this helps, Oblivion frustrated me at first also, but now i'm a pretty bad ass leader of everything. :)

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Okay, lockpicking is rather simple once you get the hang of it here's what you do. you put the pick under the tumblers and then lightly but hard enough they actually move, you hit them so they go up once they are at the top press the action button. TIMING IS THE KEY. If you press the action button to soon or too late, the tumbler will come down and smash the pick. you can change strengths of hitting the tumbler depending on how quickly you move the pick up. Now, if this all seems difficult here is a much easier but rather expensive technique, buy a lot of lock picks and repeatedly press the auto pick button this will be located during the lockpick mini game it should say at the bottom what button to press to do it. Simply keep pressing the button until it works, however, every time it doesnt the pick will break so keep a lot of picks on you. When you are a high enough level you can do Nocturnal's mission and get the skeleton key (im sorry i dont remeber the level you have to be) once you get that like Skyrim the pick is unbreakable so you can just auto pick whenever you want and it wont break. doing that saved me a lot of frustration.

Persuasion, it's easy once you know what to do. You simply find out what the person likes and hates, to do this simply move the selection icon around the wheel and the things that give the person a smile, the person likes. The bigger of the 2 smiles is what he/she likes best, the smaller is a sorta like. A small scowl is something they dislike and the look they give you that makes it seem like you brutally killed their family and then raped his/her dog to death is what they hate. Inside the wheel segments there will be yellow fillings. These move each time you make a selection. The biggest one does the most so it's best to get this is one of the smile segements as it will do a lot of good instead of take away. It's the same thing with the second biggest. Then the little ones do the least so it's best to try and get those to the disliked things. It'll take some time but eventually you will manage to master the wheel as I did. I'm not sure if you have to have a high enough persuasion level, but sometimes there is a thing under the wheel that says push a certain button and the fillings will shift, i think the exact wording is move wheel. that'll be beneficial because it can help you if you messed up and if you use it right it helps strategically. Once you get them to a high enough dispositon or diposition, or whatever the word is, then the game will stop and it'll say disposition maxed. and then you've fully persuaded them and can get any info you want. or whatever the game will let you get.

Hope this helps, Oblivion frustrated me at first also, but now i'm a pretty bad ass leader of everything. :)

How do you know how many points you need for the persuasion game to stop? Or does it not tell you that? One dude I finally managed to persuade, he needed 72 points. Is it the same for everyone?
Where is the best place to buy or acquire lots of lockpicks?

ultimatedovahkiin

How do you know how many points you need for the persuasion game to stop? Or does it not tell you that? One dude I finally managed to persuade, he needed 72 points. Is it the same for everyone?

I do not think it says how high you need to get, I think 72 may be the average I vaguely remember going to somewhere around 102 although my mind may just be playing tricks on me. I do not think everyone has the same max disposition but like I said I think most people have 72. The best place to buy lockpicks? Try weapons and armor shops, I'm not sure I havent needed to buy picks since I got the skeleton key but blacksmiths usually have a lot.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows

I do not think it says how high you need to get, I think 72 may be the average I vaguely remember going to somewhere around 102 although my mind may just be playing tricks on me. I do not think everyone has the same max disposition but like I said I think most people have 72. The best place to buy lockpicks? Try weapons and armor shops, I'm not sure I havent needed to buy picks since I got the skeleton key but blacksmiths usually have a lot.

Thanks Dovah :)

ultimatedovahkiin

Brandie

the sassy mage
This is unrelated to the lockpicking/persuasion topic here (though I've found those two things equally annoying and I need practice with them, so trust me, I understand), but having played Skyrim before starting Oblivion, I find the menus irritating. I'm so used to the Skyrim menus being more..spacious and organized than Oblivion. I hate the design and I hope there's a mod out there on the Nexus to make them more "friendly", if that makes sense.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
This is unrelated to the lockpicking/persuasion topic here (though I've found those two things equally annoying and I need practice with them, so trust me, I understand), but having played Skyrim before starting Oblivion, I find the menus irritating. I'm so used to the Skyrim menus being more..spacious and organized than Oblivion. I hate the design and I hope there's a mod out there on the Nexus to make them more "friendly", if that makes sense.

I agree with you, the Oblivion menus are awkward to navigate. Actually I have found the DragonAge: Origins menus to be very similar to the Oblivion one. Very frustrating to work out when you are a noob.

ultimatedovahkiin

I agree with you, the Oblivion menus are awkward to navigate. Actually I have found the DragonAge: Origins menus to be very similar to the Oblivion one. Very frustrating to work out when you are a noob.

the Oblivion map. Holy plops. That thing makes me so frustrated everytime I use it, the Skyrim one is so big and you can see the whole map so it's much better, but the Oblivion map, that thing is like in a fluffing box.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
I am new to Oblivion as well. These are all frustrations that I share. The game is much less user friendly than beloved Skyrim. The enviroments are well rendered though. And I love the Kung Fu action-movie style close ups when speaking with someone!

Majir-Dar

Confused Khajiit
Persuasion has always been really easy for me in the game so I'm afraid I couldn't help anyone there. I know it's supposed to be easier with illusion and a higher personality.

Lockpicking is simple when you get the hang of it. The trick is to wait for the tumbler to go up really fast, then the next time you hit it it should go rather slow and allow you to more easily hit the tumbler in place. Hope this helped.

NENALATA

Last King of the Ayleids - RETIRED

All unique NPCs have unique dispositions, although Legions and such start at the same. So no, they're not always the same.

*PRO-TIP*

As a Spellsword, I learned Illusion spells which lowered the NPCs disposition. In other words, go find a charm spell and cast it. Then IF (and only if) that does not suffice, start hacking. Try using the charm spells in place of bribes... which usually bribing them doesn't pay.

Charm spells are Invaluable and useful, can be obtained early on and will always be helpful no matter your lvl.

As far as lock picking goes... shhh... yeah... what he said. lvl your alt then head to Cheydinhal MG. That lockpicking mini game is a head spin. Still lots of fun though and something Skyrim should have maybe taken a closer look at doing.

NENALATA

Last King of the Ayleids - RETIRED
I am new to Oblivion as well. These are all frustrations that I share. The game is much less user friendly than beloved Skyrim. The enviroments are well rendered though. And I love the Kung Fu action-movie style close ups when speaking with someone!

I couldn't agree more. Except the Oblivion Engine allows you to wield 2H weapons (or anything) and cast at the same time.

Wouldn't say Oblivion is totally not user friendly. True though, the menus are rough to navigate and harsh on the eyes.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts