Now that I have the Skeleton Key, can I sell all my lockpicks?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Completed the Nocturnal quest and have the skeleton key now, but also have hundreds of lockpicks (I mostly use spells to open chests and doors and reserve the picks for Hard or Expert Locks and gates).

Just wondering if I need the lockpicks at all anymore.

AS88

Staff member
*Minor Spoilers*

If you're not taking the key back (which you'll be asked to), then by all means, sell them.

*/Spoilers*

You may as well sell all of your lockpicks until you only have about 50 left, especially if you're using spells to open most of them.

Daelon DuLac

*Minor Spoilers*

If you're not taking the key back (which you'll be asked to), then by all means, sell them.

*/Spoilers*

You may as well sell all of your lockpicks until you only have about 50 left, especially if you're using spells to open most of them.
Sorry, I'm in Oblivion for that question. I ALWAYS take the key back to Nocturnal in Skyrim. She scares me. :)

AS88

Staff member
One day, I will remember that you're playing Oblivion, and read the top of the thread.

It appears that day isn't today.

o_O

Toxius

Frost Wolf
Keep at least one lockpick, at least if you're going to be arrested anytime soon. (Skeleton key counts as a Item, not a lockpick item and will be taken away with the rest of your belongings)

If you're not then so be it and sell all your lockpicks.
Also basically with the Skeleton key in oblivion it's impossible to fail lockpicking even if you just repeatedly spam Auto-unlock or what ever it's called (sometimes it's even faster and easier with this option).

Daelon DuLac

Keep at least one lockpick, at least if you're going to be arrested anytime soon. (Skeleton key counts as a Item, not a lockpick item and will be taken away with the rest of your belongings)

If you're not then so be it and sell all your lockpicks.
Also basically with the Skeleton key in oblivion it's impossible to fail lockpicking even if you just repeatedly spam Auto-unlock or what ever it's called (sometimes it's even faster and easier with this option).
I read that. I'll keep some lockpicks in reserve though as I understand that, once you're security is at 60, because the key gives you 40, you no longer progress. You have to put it aside to continue while you use picks. Of course, since I use spells 99% of the time to open locks that aren't hard or above, it's kind of moot. :)

Thanks for the info!

JoeReese

On a related note, I've got all the levels of lock spells, but I can never seem to hit gates. It just goes right through, no matter how many times I try. Anybody have any ideas?

Daelon DuLac

On a related note, I've got all the levels of lock spells, but I can never seem to hit gates. It just goes right through, no matter how many times I try. Anybody have any ideas?
I don't think they work on gates. I've never gotten em to work so I just pick em.

JoeReese

My spells are all on target. Maybe I should look and see if I can make touch or area spells.

Toxius

Frost Wolf
My spells are all on target. Maybe I should look and see if I can make touch or area spells.

Yes you're on the right track, you have to go to the Wizard's tower and make a Open lock spell with a greater area of effect. Should work neatly.

Daelon DuLac

Yes you're on the right track, you have to go to the Wizard's tower and make a Open lock spell with a greater area of effect. Should work neatly.
I only wish they didn't make it so difficult to get in to the university. I'm at level 18 and on my way to Chadenhall (?) for my last recommendation. Keep getting distracted though... Wait! You mean I can't catch the butterflies like in skyrim?

JoeReese

I only wish they didn't make it so difficult to get in to the university. I'm at level 18 and on my way to Chadenhall (?) for my last recommendation. Keep getting distracted though... Wait! You mean I can't catch the butterflies like in skyrim?

Aye, it was a royal pain in the drain, but soo worth it.

Daelon DuLac

Aye, it was a royal pain in the drain, but soo worth it.
Well... I'm almost there. It's just up the road. Of course there's about 30 caves and ruins and forts to explore first, but I'll get there. Then I have to find the Chorral (?) drunks long lost brother and deal with whomever wanders up and needs my help and collect all those ingredients and visit the church and... Suffice to say, I'll get there! Then off to the Imperial City to join the University after completing the 20 side-quests, including de-ghosting my house and joining the TG and... Oh! And I have to visit the DB while I'm in Chadenhall (?). That and my work as the Cyrodil "Troll Killin'" Orkin Man. Boy, busy schedule. :)

Lucid

You're lucky I don't mod Oblivion...I'd put an Orkin man helmet in there. lol

Naked save for a loincloth and an Orkin helm, whilst dual weilding wooden clubs. All the cool kids in Cyrodiil are doing it.

Daelon DuLac

You're lucky I don't mod Oblivion...I'd put an Orkin man helmet in there. lol

Naked save for a loincloth and an Orkin helm, whilst dual weilding wooden clubs. All the cool kids in Cyrodiil are doing it.
Uhm, in Luna's case it would be a bikini. :)

Lucid

She'll have to check with the cool kids to see if that's acceptable. That sort of modesty may be a deal breaker. Of course, she does have the Skeleton Key and a tonne of Troll Fat, that should work in her favour.

Daelon DuLac

She'll have to check with the cool kids to see if that's acceptable. That sort of modesty may be a deal breaker. Of course, she does have the Skeleton Key and a tonne of Troll Fat, that should work in her favour.
I smell a giant Slip & Slide or a little bit of oil wrastlin' in her future. :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts