• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

fish-with-feathers

King of Trash
Simple question really, is there any skills (Archery, Destruction, One-Handed, ect.) that you initially veiwed as not worth your time but later discovered to be very useful?

For me it would be Alteration, never paid it much mind until attempting to play as a straight magic character. Its saved my hide many times since.

Mercutio

Assistant Regional Manager
Alchemy was one of them.

At first I thought it was useless but when I started using potions all the time, I decided to invest some points in it.

fish-with-feathers

King of Trash
Alchemy was one of them.

At first I thought it was useless but when I started using potions all the time, I decided to invest some points in it.

To be honest I haven't ever put much time into Alchemy as I can never be bothered to gather ingredient. I can see how it would be useful but I'd rather be killing dragons than grabbing ever flower and mushroom I come across.

Alteration was much the same for me. I didn't initially view it as useless, but as only being moderately useful. I know now that it's really very useful.
The only other skills I've underestimated so to speak are Alchemy and Restoration. Restoration has quite a few useful perks and Alchemy, once up to a high enough level, does as well. Not to mention you can make serious easy money with Alchemy by simply selling any potions you don't use/want. I imagine with a few added perks from the skill tree to make better potions and poisons you'd make even more coin. :) So there's always that.
Ah yes and come to think of it, Block was another skill tree I seriously underestimated at first. Turns out it's quite useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hershangames

Well, I really underestimated alchemyat first. Until I discovered that combine pd with pickpocket and sneak you can make a serious amounts of kills in seconds.
Oh yeah, and I somehow underestimated sneak (was a bit new to RPGs), now I can only ply as rogue.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Hart

Sassmaster
Speech, actually. I can bribe guards if I get caught doing something. And I don't even have to be in the Thieve's Guild.

Writes-Many-Posts

Champion of Grottos and Gremlins
Alchemy, alchemy and alchemy, for me.

I just hate how long it takes for it to level up. But damn it can be the most powerful thing in the game. When you want to achieve god status, you gather a bunch of clothes, enchant them to fortify alchemy, then use the enchantments to make powerful potions to fortify enchanting, and do so until your skills are as OP as you want.

Illusion is up there too. While I sometimes used it to fix some issues like the Priestesses in Markarth attacking me instead of talking to me, I never truly appreciated anything of this school asides from invisibility and its perks.

Speech, sneak and lockpicking are those that I never pay much attention to, but they end up leveling themselves up due to how vital they end up being to almost all of my characters.

Deadpool.

OG Forum member
My charecter isn't good at speaking, He's a little shy so whenever someone speaks to him he tends to get scared and shout FUS RO DAH, and then they fly away for some odd reason :sadface:

help me guys

(im joking)

But on a serious note..

Speech is a good skill that I overlooked long ago, I can now bribe guards insead of killing every single one

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
Illusion and Alteration. There is just something about confusing the crap out of people and paralyzing them while their friends/allies beat the absolute crud out of them that makes it so....

Entertaining..

Dremora lords torturing a paralyzed idiot also brings a few laughs... It's so beautiful. <3

576463_317507851656597_126894987384552_727868_1865079996_n.jpg

Vauldis

I used to think alchemy was useless, then I started poisoning my knife and making health potions......

Restoration is pretty useless in my opinion, besides the basic healing spell I never use it, even less so because I usually play as an argonian vampire so I can regen alot of health without restoration anyway. They only time it's useful is when the people who make necromancy mods make all the poison/decay spells restoration for some reason.

fish-with-feathers

King of Trash
I used to think alchemy was useless, then I started poisoning my knife and making health potions......

Restoration is pretty useless in my opinion, besides the basic healing spell I never use it, even less so because I usually play as an argonian vampire so I can regen alot of health without restoration anyway. They only time it's useful is when the people who make necromancy mods make all the poison/decay spells restoration for some reason.

I agree. About the only time I use it is when I'm fighting a dragon and am out of potions or something.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts