PC Not getting kidnapped by Dark Brotherhood

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Cneil02

I experienced a bug with the quest innocence lost in which Aventus Aretino wouldn't talk to me and wasn't doing the ritual when I broke in to his house. I then completed the quest via the console but since then I have not received the message from the DB or been kidnapped when I sleep. Do you know how I can fix this?

alceryes

You need to sleep somewhere outside of Windhelm for the next stage to trigger.

alceryes

Do you have a save from before you broke into his house?
If so, try just walking around Windhelm until someone talks about the 'Aretino boy' and you get the quest started. Then break in and see if performing the black sacrament.

Edit - Or try going to Riften and talking to the children on the orphanage. That will manually trigger the quest.

Cneil02

Do you have a save from before you broke into his house?
If so, try just walking around Windhelm until someone talks about the 'Aretino boy' and you get the quest started. Then break in and see if performing the black sacrament.

Edit - Or try going to Riften and talking to the children on the orphanage. That will manually trigger the quest.
No it's been ages since I completed Innocence Lost, it's too far back for me to go back to the save. Just to clarify, when I did the quest, Aretino wouldn't talk to me, so I killed Grelod and tried to talk to him and none of that worked so I had to complete the quest using the console command SetStage DB01 200. This caused it to say "Completed: Innocence Lost" but since then I have not received the "Mysterious Note" from the Dark Brotherhood. As I said earlier sleeping doesn't automatically get me kidnapped either. I even tried going to the abandoned shack where you get taken and unlocking the door with the console but I couldn't enter the house, the door would just open slightly. I also tried to complete "With Friends like These..." with the console but this didn't work and I didn't get the message saying that I had completed the quest. If you know how to start the DB questline another way that would be very helpful.

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
You'll have to wait for a courier to stop you and give you the "We Know" Letter. There isn't really any way you can trigger this, it should just happen, but after looking for some trouble shooting ideas I found these steps.

1. Go to Windhelm, and fast travel anywhere else.
2. Fast Travel back to Windhelm
3. If the Courier doesn't show up, go inside any building and come back out.
4. If the Courier still doesn't show up, save, and repeat steps 1 through 3.

Not sure this will adequately solve your problem, but it was a recommended solve in some other places, so maybe it'll do some good. If not it might be a save issue, or a mod issue. Good Luck my friend :D

Knowhere man

Last time I did that quest, I went right up to Grelod, killed her, and I got the message to go talk to Aventus without having spoken with him beforehand (although I had heard the rumor from the innkeeper). Seems there are several ways to start this quest.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts