Nord Refugee Character Diary - Hrisskar III

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

BIGwooly

~ 10th of First Seed, 4E 228 ~

All good things must come to an end .. as they say. Today was such a great day until I nearly lost my life.

While chasing a wounded elk I ran up a steep mountainside. Because of the angle I temporarily lost sight of the elk, and then a few moments later I saw a shape darting left to right and I pursued it through the grasses. It turns out the shape I saw was a sabre cat chasing the wounded elk, and soon enough it was chasing me.

I fired an arrow at it in haste and missed. Just a bit too low and the arrow struck the ground in front of the cat's paws. I quickly got a second arrow off, which struck the cat and stunned it for a moment ... long enough for me to come to my sense and realize I needed to be running like the elk. I don't know what I was thinking standing there firing off arrows at a charging sabre cat. I suppose I needed a does of humility after my earlier experiences today.

Before I could even turn to run, the cat was able to pounce on me, and gave me a nasty cut across my back. But then I was off, running for my life and looking for any terrain I could use to save myself. I weaved in and out of several boulder clusters, then bolted up a draw between some rocks. At the top I turned to see if I had lost the sabre cat. Before I could even determine that, I noticed a khajiit with two daggers drawn.

I had exchanged one blood-thirsty feline for another!

Across the ridge I ran, and then dropped down into the rocks again. I darted through them and ran out into the plains, leaving both cats well behind me and counting my blessings to be alive.

Last edited:

BIGwooly

~ 10th of First Seed, 4E 228 ~

This day ... is one for late night stories over a fire.

No sooner had I packed up my journal and started on my way back to our home, than I came across another sabre cat. It charged, and I had no choice but to hold my ground. To retreat would have taken me right back to either the other sabre cat or the khajiit with the blades. I was tired of running.

The cat streaked up the hillside towards me and I managed to hit it with an arrow ... full draw. I backed up and set another arrow as it closed on me. This one I only partially drew, and aimed for it's legs, hoping to slow it down. It worked, and I was able to run to a new position. I turned as I readied another arrow and was surprised to see the big cat already on top of me. It had recovered quickly. I let the arrow go, somehow hitting my target despite my hasty aim. But a moment later I felt the cat's huge claws tearing into my skin ... right through my hide armor.

It fell upon me and I was lucky to finally get away with any limbs still intact. I ran as fast as my legs could carry me, and clumsily searched for a health potion to keep me alive. The sabre cat was on me again, I could hear it's growls close behind me. I was wounded and winded, and the time to make a final stand was now or never. I momentarily considered my archer's potion, but I felt I didn't have the time. At any moment claws and teeth would be all over me.

I turned. Fired an arrow as quickly as I could. The cat stumbled from the shot. I grabbed another arrow. The cat started to recover. I pulled back full on the bow and let go ....

The arrow sank itself into the cat's skull and it dropped dead. I still notched another arrow and drew it back. I wasn't convinced. I was sure I had just stunned it again. But it was dead ... and slowly I let the string go slack again.

This day ....

BIGwooly

~ 11th of First Seed, 4E 228 ~

My armor is in shreds from the sabre cat last night. I didn't realize how bad it was until this morning. And I forgot to bring along spare leather strips for repair. This isn't good. The armor is entirely useless like this. I'm going to have to leave it behind and cross the plains without it.

To say that makes me nervous would be a substantial understatement. Gods help me.

BIGwooly

~ 11th of First Seed, 4E 228 ~

By some miracle of the gods I made it across the plains without incident. I didn't even see anything that could harm me. That served as a painful lesson as to why I should always have several bundles of leather strips with me. I felt totally naked without my armor.

The walk did give me a lot of time to think about some things .. most notably ... arrows. My iron arrows are great, and get the job done for me. But those dwarven arrows I found look incredible. The craftsmanship is unmatched. I've been studying them for weeks and weeks now, trying to figure out how I could possibly recreate them on my own. I have no doubt they would be nearly twice as deadly as my iron arrows.

It would have been nice to have been able to take down that sabre cat with only three arrows, instead of five. Those extra two arrows could be the difference between life and death out there in the wild. Not to mention the fewer arrows I have to use the fewer arrows I'll lose to misses or damage. So it definitely is something I should put more effort into researching.

I'm debating a somewhat risky venture. Perhaps if I could find a an dwemer ruin I could gain some insight into their metallurgy. And perhaps then I could create some of these incredible arrows for myself. The only thing is ... I have no idea where to find a dwemer ruin. I only know the dwemer use to live inside the mountains.

I think maybe it's time to take a trip farther into the mountains.

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
I'm so happy you've started this back up. I look forward to it each time I log in.

BIGwooly

~ 16th of First Seed, 4E 228 ~

In the morning I'm heading out to look for a dwemer ruin. My plan is to head east into The Rift. I chose the rift because it is very mountainous, and thus more likely for me to find a ruin. I considered the mountains to the north, across the plains, but they are farther away. I considered the mountains to the west, but I don't know them as well as the mountains to the east. The Rift is just closer and more familiar, and seems like the most logical choice.

I've prepared a half dozen bundles of leather strips to take with me. I don't plan on getting caught without any armor on this trip. I have two full quivers of my iron arrows, forty-eight in total. I've selected a variety of potions to take … ranging from health damaging potions to healing potions and even some resistance potions. I also have plenty of food for a journey of a dozen days or so. Not that I plan on being gone that long.

I've also decided to bring a book with me. I've been missing my reading time while I'm out in the wilds. I'm taking "Nightingales: Fact or Fiction".

I'm excited and nervous for tomorrow morning. I should sleep, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to.

BIGwooly

~ 17th of First Seed, 4E 228 ~

Well that was a short trip.

I was only on the road for about an hour when I came across a dead horse .. and just a bit farther up the road .. a dead khajiit. He was facedown next to an overturned wagon with some pots and bowls strewn about. I took a look at what he had on him and found he had a book I'd never seen … "A Dance in Fire, v7".

I took the book. I felt bad taking it but it was clear he had been robbed and murdered and the thieves either couldn't read or just had no interest in books. There was no reason to leave a perfectly good book behind on a dead khajiit.

By sheer luck I avoided death, as I picked up one of the khajiit's large metal cooking pots to take a look at it, and then dropped it back to the ground. The pot bounced and rolled and then sprung a metal bear trap I hadn't noticed previously. This trap was not for bears, though, it was for unwary travelers. No doubt the khajiit or his horse had sprung the trap originally.

I counted my blessings once again and headed up the valley, but now I was traveling off the road as I usually did. I'll admit I was nervous about falling prey to the same fate as the khajiit.

Just up the road I spotted movement and froze. It was on the opposite side of the road, and in the shadows of the cliff. It took me a minute to realize it was a horse. I moved forward slowly, eyes on the horse, looking for signs of trouble. But the trouble was on my side of the road. I heard a battle cry to my left and it was too late.

Forsworn.

Two of them were charging me, weapons drawn. I snatched an arrow from my quiver and fired it off, my startled state causing me to miss. I let another fly as quickly as I could, trying to slow down my attackers. The arrow struck the lead forsworn but didn't cause him to falter. A second later his blow landed and hurt me badly. I turned and ran, hoping to put some distance between us so I could fire another arrow at him.

I ran about forty paces, spun around while notching and arrow … and he was right behind me! I let the arrow fly as his blade came down against my armor. This strike hurt much worse, and I felt myself go faint for a moment. It was time to retreat from this fight for good.

They kept on my heels as I ran as fast as my legs would carry me. But I wasn't outrunning them. They were right behind me. And then my breath ran out, so I cut into some rocks and tried to jump over an old rock wall. I got hung up on the wall and lost precious seconds, and felt another blade strike my back. The faintness returned. My vision blurred. I was in serious trouble.

I made it over the small wall just in time, narrowly avoiding the blow that would have ended me. I took a health potion, my second so far. I also drank a stamina potion. I was winded and wasn't going to have any chance outrunning them in that condition.

It took another stamina potion and some creative running and climbing for me to finally get to a position where they couldn't reach me. I may not be a swordsman of any merit, but I can climb a mountain as well as anyone.

The forsworn circled below me, doing their best to stay in cover while hurling insults and threats up at me. The advantage was mine now, though, and in time I took care of both of them. I collected my arrows from their bodies and head back to where it had all started.

On the road near where I was attacked I found a poor old woman, a traveler peddler, face down on the road just like the khajiit. But before I could investigate further I heard a shout and looked up to see another forsworn. In truth, I looked up just in time to see his arrow strike me in the chest.

My armor was in tatters, but still intact enough to keep me alive. I stepped to my right, then back to my left to avoid a second arrow. The forsworn archer readied a third arrow while I prepared to return the favor. I dodged this arrow as well, but missed with mine. I needed to relax and focus.

My next several arrows all found their mark, while he missed with all of his. Once again being light on my feet saved my life. After cautiously scouting the area to ensure it was free of any other forsworn, I returned to the old woman's lifeless body.

She had a slew of ingredients in her bags, as well as some gold and other items. I took the ingredients, and also took the steel and orcish arrows she had. Those would definitely come in useful. I left a dozen or so of my iron arrows to make room for the new arrows.

And then I headed home.

There was no point in continuing on my trip. My armor was torn apart .. and I had already used several vital potions. I was close enough to home that it made sense to just replace my armor and replace the potions. I've also decided to take some additional potions with me. I need to be much better prepared for what is sure to be a long journey. Especially considering I'm only heading deeper into forsworn territory.

Last edited:

BIGwooly

~ 18th of First Seed, 4E 228 ~

It seems I've reached a crossroads of sorts. This morning I headed back into the Rift, to see if I can find an old dwemer ruin and figure out how to make dwarven arrows.

I headed down into the valley, then hiked up the mountains on the north bank of the river. But before I got too far I was chased off by a sabre cat. So I decided to cross the river and head up a trail into the southern mountains. This led to an area where I could follow the trail to the right, or explore up a mountainside to the left. I chose left at first, and encountered a troll shortly after, which forced me off the mountain and back onto the trail. But I didn't make it much farther up the trail before I heard the grumblings of a bear ahead.

So now I've hiked a bit of a rocky peak in between the two routes, to get a better view. I can see the troll, just wandering around the mountainside in a foul mood. And I can see the bear, just off the trail and next to a small structure of some kind. It looks like it could be an altar, although it's round and unlike any alter I've ever seen. I'm also wondering if it could be a secret passage into an ancient dwemer stronghold. I've heard they built secret entrances.

Whether it is or not, I can't get near it with that bear lounging nearby. I considered firing an arrow nearby to distract the bear, but I really don't feel comfortable wasting any arrows. I already lost one to a rabid dog that attacked me earlier today.

I'm not sure what to do.

BIGwooly

~ 19th of First Seed, 4E 228 ~

Yesterday I decided to wait overnight on my decision. It was approaching evening anyways and there was no reason to press ahead in haste. So I set up camp in the rocks and read my new book. Interesting story … about a fellow named Decumus Scotti who pitted two building contractors against each other to his own benefit.

The story has given me an idea for my current situation.

I snuck down from camp just before first light, and headed up the trail quietly and then up into the rocks on the other side. My plan was to come in on the bear's position from behind and using the cover and safety of the rocks. This way I could scout the structure I'd seen yesterday and determine what to do next.

As it happens, there is a man on the trail just north of my position. He has a small camp and if I had to guess he's not a hunter. That means he's probably a brigand of some sort looking to catch unsuspecting travelers and rob them … or possibly kill them. Either way, he doesn't look like the sort that will just let me pass unhindered.

Now I've scouted the structure, and from what I can tell it may have been an alter previously, but there is what looks to be a juniper bush growing out of it now. I'd still like to take a closer look, but the bear hasn't moved. It seems to prefer this area.

So I have a bear in my way and an armed man in my way. What have I learned from my reading last night that could help me in this situation?

I think I need to introduce the bear and the brigand to each other.

BIGwooly

The bear took the bait. I snuck in close, and got it's attention, then ran up into the rocks and across them to the other side. The bear circled, trying to find me, and he ran right into the armed man's camp.

It turns out the armed man had a female companion. And it turns out they were forsworn. While they engaged with the bear I ran back to the altar-like structure. It did indeed have a juniper bush growing out of it. I found an old book on enchanting, so perhaps the structure was used for enchanting many decades ago. Whatever the case, it wasn't a secret dwemer entrance.

I quickly returned to the rocks to check on the confrontation I had arranged. It was already over. In a matter of minutes it was over. The bear had killed both of the forsworn and was quietly lumbering away from their camp.

I let him disappear around the bend and then went down into the camp to check the bodies and look for anything useful. Nothing really except for some carrots, which I happily took with me. I haven't had carrots in a long time.

After continuing a bit farther up the trail I spotted a horse, and then the hunter who owned it. Before I could take another step I heard a shout and saw the hunter ready his weapon. A forsworn appeared and they proceeded to fight. I drew my bow, wanting to help the hunter, but they were too close together. I was just as likely to hit the hunter with an arrow. The fight was over too quickly anyways, with the hunter left dead on the ground.

I was debating what to do as the forsworn walked away. I wanted nothing more than to kill him and avenge the hunter and all the others that the forsworn have killed over the years, including my mother. But something in the distance caught my eye.

A tower.

And not any normal tower. A tower with a bronzish roof. Definitely not of imperial build … and definitely not anything build by the ancient nords. I think it may in fact be … dwemer.

BIGwooly

I killed the bandits that killed the hunter. They were not forsworn after all. I didn't find out until I had already engaged them. One of them was an archer and I noticed a familiar-looking set of arrows on his back. Dwarven arrows.

Perhaps this bandit has been visiting the tower in the distance.

BIGwooly

~ 20th of First Seed, 4E 228 ~

After another night in the wilds and a decent hike today, I've reached the tower. Upon closer inspection I'm not convinced anymore that it's of dwarves construction. Some of the carvings on the outside look very similar to nordic styles.

There is only one way to find out for sure, though. Let's see if these giant metal doors will open.

BIGwooly

I should have brought a torch.

An old stone staircase ascends into the darkness ahead of me. In the ceiling there is an odd metal contraption of some sort … like a tube. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that in a nordic ruin. A blue flame lights the entry at the door, a flame like I've never seen before. There is definitely something different about this place.

I'm going to head up the stairs, but it will be painfully slow in the dark. I need to move slowly and cautiously in case there are traps.

BIGwooly

The top of the steps gave way to flickering light. I saw an ornate chair in front of a stone table, and several items strewn about. Another metal door was located just left of the table, like the door I had gone through to enter this place.

I proceeded very cautiously. For all I knew it had been a thousand years since someone set foot in this place … or it may have been yesterday. I kept my eye out for traps but found none. Just large pieces of strange metal laying about, and some other items on the table.

Among those items was an old iron mace, a large gem and a book. I was drawn to the book immediately, and upon seeing it's title my heart quickened … "Chimarvamidium - Ancient Tales of the Dwemer Part VI".

Dwemer!

This place was dwemer-built after all. I was so excited. I flipped through the pages, reading a story of ages past about a battle between the dwemer and the chimer. I may have to take the book with me to study it more and learn the secrets of crafting dwarven arrows.

There are all sorts of bits of scrap metal laying around, all of dwarven construction. Some of it is very heavy, but there are several smaller pieces as well. I'm thinking I should take a few of these back with me and melt them down. Although currently I don't have any room to carry anything more.

The real question now is … should I go through the next door?

BIGwooly

~ 21st of First Seed, 4E 228 ~

I'm heading home today. This was a shorter trip than I had planned for. Much shorter … and I'm not complaining. I never expected to even find a dwemer ruin, much less after just a few days of searching. The gods have blessed me.

The other door simply led to a lookout point at the top of the tower. There was a strange container up there, no doubt of dwemer construction. But I couldn't get it open, just as the similar one I found on the stone table yesterday. They must be locked somehow.

No matter. I can't carry anything else anyways. As it is I'm already leaving behind my smoked venison stores, which leaves me with just one day's worth of food … salmon jerky. I'm also leaving behind my new book in exchange for the book on the dwemer. And I'm leaving behind my bracers as well. All of this to take back two small pieces of dwemer metal.

I hope it's worth it. And I hope the return journey is just as quick.

BIGwooly

~ 21st of First Seed, 4E 228 ~

I decided to head home a different way, to see if I could find another dwemer ruin on the way back. But first I came across what appears to be a very large forsworn fort. I gave it a wide berth, which led me to a ritual site of some kind. I approached, but then I noticed a man in robes in the center of the site and I decided it best to leave him be. Shortly after that I witnessed the end of a fight between what I believe to be thalmor soldiers and stormcloak soldiers. The thalmor had won the fight and I let them clear the area before I continued.

That was when I noticed it. Set in the cliffs on the other side of the trail about three hundred paces away …. a dwemer ruin. Well, I believe it to be one. It bears the same resemblance as the tower in terms of architecture.

The strange thing is that I approached the ruin and as I got to within a hundred paces or so there was a thunderous rumble and the ground shook beneath my feet … as if the gods had grabbed hold of the world and were tugging it back and forth.

My mind immediately went to my father's tales of dragons, not told to me by him but by his words in this book. I searched the sky, afraid to keep my eyes open. Afraid to see a large winged creature in the air swooping down to devour me. But there was nothing.

I gathered my composure and continued up to the ruin. The ground shook again and the sounds of the birds and the wind was drowned out by rumbling. I'm afraid to know what is causing the earth to tremble like this. I've decided not to enter the ruin. Whatever is causing the commotion could very well be inside, and I only have one day food rations left anyways. Not to mention I couldn't possibly carry another thing at this point.

No, I should return home and make another trip to this place at a later time.

BIGwooly

~ 22nd of First Seed, 4E 228 ~

There really is nothing that can quite match the experience of walking right into a cave bear. After leaving the ruin I headed up the trail a bit and then started heading up into the rocky terrain next to the trail. I'm not fond of walking on trails or roads. I'd rather take the route less traveled.

This nearly got me killed today. I was hiking up a hillside, and coming around a large boulder, when I found myself face to face with an enormous cave bear. And the cave bear was already crashing down the hillside at me at full speed. He had clearly seen me or heard me, while my senses had failed me. He was so close when I saw him that I didn't even have time to turn. From less than five paces away he lunged at me and sank his teeth into my armor.

I fell backwards and struggled to fight him off and flee. I couldn't get my footing ... and his teeth found me again. The pain was unbearable, and my eyes blurred from it. I could barely see, but I had to get away and get away now. I broke free and ran forward, almost blindly. The bear was right on my heels, and I waited for the final blow while I fumbled with one hand inside my potion satchel.

My lightness of foot saved me once again, as I kept just enough distance between me and the bear. The health potion brought me back to life and I continued at a full sprint. My eyes were searching frantically for some terrain to use to my advantage, but before I could find it I happened upon something even better. The thalmor.

The two I had seen survive the earlier fight were walking back up the trail to where they had left the bodies. Perhaps they were going to search the bodies again. I don't know. All I know is that for a split second the bear lost sight of me, and laid it's eyes on them. Bears are indiscriminate killers. And the thalmor were it's new targets.

I reached a point of relative safety and watched as the thalmor valiantly tried to slay the huge bear. But a cave bear is no easy foe, and they each succumbed to it's strength and viciousness. To my relief the bear began to walk back up the trail, it's thirst for blood seemingly satisfied now. But there was a problem.

The bear was likely going to return to it's favored spot, the spot where it had charged me from. In other words, if I let it go the path ahead would be blocked for me. I really wanted to see if I could find another ruin. So I make a choice to try and kill the bear. I figured it was already wounded from fighting with the thalmor, so now was my best chance. Strike while it was weakened and before it could recover.

I already had poison-tipped arrows, dosed with frostbite venom, which would attack both it's health and stamina. This is critical when you're in a fight where you might need be able to outrun and thus outmaneuver your opponent. I decided to take an archer's potion for good measure, and then lined up a shot from some fifty or so paces away.

The bear was passing a tree, so I set my shot beyond the tree and waited for him to walk into it. Then I let the arrow go, and it struck the beast perfectly in the side. I immediately turned and charge, and I readied a second poison arrow. I was using steel arrows taken from some of the previous days bodies, and these were a bit more deadly than the iron arrows I make. The steel tip and I waited as the bear charged through brush and trees and closed the distance on me. I was nearly shaking from fear, but I had to be patient and let the bear get close. I couldn't afford to miss.

Finally he was less than twenty paces away, and I could practically smell the angered animal. I waited another two seconds until it turned and committed to a charge, then I let the arrow go and leaped from the rocks. I landed just below, on a side trail, and ran several steps to a new position. The bear was already on me, angrier than ever. I had no time to adjust my position. I had to put an arrow in the air right away.

I made sure to draw the string as tight as I could, knowing that by the time the arrow hit I'd have no time to avoid the teeth and claws. To my absolute joy, though, this arrow struck the bear straight through the eye, and it slid to a lifeless heap at my feet.

Now, I had no room left for a cave bear pelt, but a cave bear pelt is not something I could bear to leave behind ... no pun intended. So I decided to leave a few potions behind and spent three hours skinning the bear.

Now the daylight is leaving me and I'm perched high in the rocks eating my next to last meal. I'll have salmon jerky for the morning but then I'll need to find some food. I've seen quite a few mountain goats in the rift so perhaps a goat leg is in my belly's future.

BIGwooly

~ 24th of First Seed, 4E 228 ~

After making temporary repairs to my armor with my remaining leather strips, I headed out of The Rift and back home. The rest of my trip was uneventful, aside from avoiding a bear and several wolves. When I arrived home I tossed aside my ragged hide armor and boots and replaced them with a brand new set from my chest. This set wasn't improved like my other armor and boots were, and I was also still missing bracers. I'd need new leather to make the bracers and improve the armor and boots, though. And that meant hunting.

So that's what I did yesterday ... starting with a bear. I've decided it's good for me to hunt animals like bear and sabre cat. I need to keep my skills at their sharpest, and hunting elk doesn't provide the same benefit as hunting bear. I also like that a bear hide goes much further in creating leather for clothing.

So I found a bear in the forest near our home, and I spent the morning killing it. It tore up my armor pretty good, so now I'm back to having no armor at all, but I do have enough leather to make some boots and some basic hide armor at least. That was what I planned to do today.

I went to bed feeling awful last night though, and woke up fairly late this morning. I usually wake up as the sun is rising. I was so tired this morning, though, and I still feel awful and my joints are swollen and painful. I'm pretty sure I have rockjoint. I probably contracted it from the wolf that bit me last night when I was on my way home.

Now I'll need a curing potion, but I need ingredients for that and I don't have any armor made for myself. All I feel like doing is sleeping.

BIGwooly

~ 27th of First Seed, 4E 228 ~

It's taken me three days prepare some leather and make some new armor. I just feel so awful I don't want to move. What I thought at first was rockjoint turns out to definitely be bone break fever. And I definitely need to cure it.

The trouble is that making a curing potion requires two ingredients. One is easy enough to obtain ... mudcrab chitin. The other is not ... hawk feathers. There is only location I know of to find hawks, because my father went there years ago to cure himself of ataxia. But this place, an open-air cave of sorts, is not just home to hawks. It's home to bears and wolves and spriggans .. evil creatures that live in the trees themselves.

I'm heading there tomorrow morning, with a slew of potions to hopefully keep me alive long enough to kill a hawk.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts