• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I think the Universe does not want me to play an Altmer. Every time I create one I always end up saving over it and it's gone. Doesn't happen with any other type of character. Sorry my yellow, snooty friends - Daelon won't be playing you. :sadface:

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
LOL, every build I come up with lately becomes an Altmer, for the starting Magicka bonus....When I started, I shied away from spells because I kept getting smoked when I faced mages....like in Fort Amol. But, thanks to AS88, I am now addicted to Illusion......so between Illusion & Conjuration, I need the magicka starting bonus that High Elf characters have.......:eek:

Daelon DuLac

LOL, every build I come up with lately becomes an Altmer, for the starting Magicka bonus....When I started, I shied away from spells because I kept getting smoked when I faced mages....like in Fort Amol. But, thanks to AS88, I am now addicted to Illusion......so between Illusion & Conjuration, I need the magicka starting bonus that High Elf characters have.......:eek:
I agree. That's why I've been tryint to create one. Unfortunately, every single time, for some reason (probably a mental block), I end up destroying them. Sheesh. Okay, maybe one more try. Maybe if I try a dude this time it will go more smoothly. :) (Besides, I want to try the Embassy Infiltration as an Altmer just to see what happens, plus, I can get some Thalmor robes right away and think it would be fun to run around dressed in them! :))

Rimfaxe96

(Besides, I want to try the Embassy Infiltration as an Altmer just to see what happens, plus, I can get some Thalmor robes right away and think it would be fun to run around dressed in them! :))

I've only made an Altmer once for exactly this reason. If you happen to get a special dialogue line when you meet a bunch oor Justiciars when dressed like a Thalmor, do tell me though. I want to try that one too. :D

Daelon DuLac

(Besides, I want to try the Embassy Infiltration as an Altmer just to see what happens, plus, I can get some Thalmor robes right away and think it would be fun to run around dressed in them! :))

I've only made an Altmer once for exactly this reason. If you happen to get a special dialogue line when you meet a bunch oor Justiciars when dressed like a Thalmor, do tell me though. I want to try that one too. :D
Will do. I know you're treated differently at the embassy (a friend did the quest as an Altmer and he pretty much just wandered around and did what he needed to do and was never questioned. Now I'm curious too. :)

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
I think I am going to use Archery, 1H, Light Armor, Sneak, Illusion & Conjuration....

Daelon DuLac how will you build your Altmer?????

Daelon DuLac

I think I am going to use Archery, 1H, Light Armor, Sneak, Illusion & Conjuration....

Daelon DuLac how will you build your Altmer?????
That seems pretty much the way I would use too, but I think I'll use destruction and conjuration. Illusion just gets on my nerves until I'm of a level to get invisibility & muffle. The rest - FAH! pointless (fury, frenzy, etc...)

Nighthiker77

You lose most of the utility of sneak as a caster without quiet casting, and you will dump a ton of perks into destruction and archery, unless your goal is to be mediocre at both.

I usually use enough illusion to get to quiet casting, don't perk anything except the path to quiet casting, and basically abandon it. I do get most of the spells though once I have extra money. Then it's all there to use if I want.

I love to hate on Altmer, but i still play them at least half the time. Any magic or speed build favors them so much.

Daelon DuLac

You lose most of the utility of sneak as a caster without quiet casting, and you will dump a ton of perks into destruction and archery, unless your goal is to be mediocre at both.

I usually use enough illusion to get to quiet casting, don't perk anything except the path to quiet casting, and basically abandon it. I do get most of the spells though once I have extra money. Then it's all there to use if I want.

I love to hate on Altmer, but i still play them at least half the time. Any magic or speed build favors them so much.
What's a "speed build"?

sticky runes

I think the Universe does not want me to play an Altmer. Every time I create one I always end up saving over it and it's gone. Doesn't happen with any other type of character. Sorry my yellow, snooty friends - Daelon won't be playing you. :sadface:

I've lost two wood elf characters that way. I always double up my last game before starting a new character, because that's normally how I lose files, but I lost my wood elves by saving onto an external device, which sucks.

Rimfaxe96

Will do. I know you're treated differently at the embassy (a friend did the quest as an Altmer and he pretty much just wandered around and did what he needed to do and was never questioned. Now I'm curious too. :)

I played Diplomatic Immunity with my latest Altmer and it was pretty awesome. Just take the Thalmor stuff you find in the first room to the right when entering, put it on and you can do whatever you like as long as you don't run (only walk). If your speech skill is high enough you can also tell the guy standing at the door to the Solar to go to Elenwen so you don't have to fight at all until entering the Solar, 'cause if you're seen there everyone's going to attack you.
I wasn't patient enough to train my Speech skill so when it came to the guy leaned at the door he raised the alarm anyway being all like "WHO ARE YOU!?!", hilarious. :D

Nighthiker77

A speed build is what I would call a character designed to have maximum mobility in and out of combat to strike first and avoid damage with fast movement.

Perks like quick draw, ranger, block runner, shield charge, critical charge, windwalker, conditioning, unhindered, silent roll

Weapons like the Longhammer, Zephyr, or Auriel's Bow for high strike rate, or weapons with lower stamina consumption like Nord Hero weapons or Windshear.

I think most spells can be cast while sprinting with no perks required so offensive magic could be incorporated easily.

Altmer have a higher movement speed than all other races, male or female, so nothing humanoid can outpace them.

Daelon DuLac

A speed build is what I would call a character designed to have maximum mobility in and out of combat to strike first and avoid damage with fast movement.

Perks like quick draw, ranger, block runner, shield charge, critical charge, windwalker, conditioning, unhindered, silent roll

Weapons like the Longhammer, Zephyr, or Auriel's Bow for high strike rate, or weapons with lower stamina consumption like Nord Hero weapons or Windshear.

I think most spells can be cast while sprinting with no perks required so offensive magic could be incorporated easily.

Altmer have a higher movement speed than all other races, male or female, so nothing humanoid can outpace them.
Interesting. I never thought of it that way! Thanks for the clarification.

Daelon DuLac

Good news! Finally have an Altmer that sticks. Of course he is male this time and he is not a pure mage (more a spell sword or battle mage). He's lookin' good (only level 7 at this point). I'll be using him to go Vamp. I have him using Destruction and Conjuration (including bound swords) with a smattering of archery when magicka is running low. He uses illusion for amusement and confusion. Working on getting his sneak, one-handed up. No Alchemy. I have him running at 2/1/0 at this point, does that sound about right?

Dawn

Are you sure Altmer are faster than others? I don't believe they have an innate speed ability, only a racial height scale that is larger than most other races, but which I believe is purely cosmetic.

If I do a "player.getscale" command on any race, I get a value of 1.0, with a second value in brackets showing the racial scale - such as 1.08 for Altmer or .95 for female Breton.

Unless the secondary value given in brackets is the value used for speed and combat formulas, it seems all races start at 1.0 and should all have the same base speed and damage.

Note I haven't compared various races by running across distances with stop watches or anything of the sort, I just poked around the CK and along with using various console commands it appears the differences in character height between races is purely cosmetic.

Oh and BTW thanks for interesting ideas for future characters, I may have to try a 2H warrior using Longhammer and light armor and not much else other than speed.

Nighthiker77

I'll check my casting costs next time I crank up skyrim, but I'm pretty sure the dremora lords and storm atronachs are really close to 100 magica with the expert perk and 100 skill.

In one way, it's a lot easier to level your magic schools with all magica so you can cast higher level spells more. But some extra health makes it a lot easier to survive.

Are you enchanting or using cost reduction? I'd run your magica up to 200, health to 150, and then think really hard about how you want to play before you spend more stat points

Nighthiker77

On my no equipment build I stopped at 300 magica and it is enough even though I have to cast everything. But if i had and protection or enchantments, I wouldn't need so much health. Dead Thralls cost around 400 magica, so if you want to use them, you will either have to have a lot of magica or some good cost reduction gear.

You can always adjust your stats appropriately with fortify health or magica enchantments as long as neither is too high.

Nighthiker77

Dawn The racial height is a multiplier for walking, running, and sprinting speed, it doesn't affect swing speed, and I'm not sure if it affects reach or not.

If you silent roll with an Altmer female and a Breton female, it's pretty easy to see the speed difference at 1.08 vs 0.95

The Orcs are tall to at 1.065 if you want an exclusively melee character with a more practical daily ability, and fits in good with the Longhammer.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts