• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Tusck

So it was confirmed that there is no hardcore mode. Does that bother anyone?

Personally I never play on the highest levels, because I think it take away from the story too much. Also, gaming shouldn't be a job.

Thoughts?

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
I like a good challenge in games. A hardcore mode like the one in “Fallout: New Vegas” not only did that but also provided an increasae in realism ( / believability / constistency / ...) by requiring you to eat and drink.

I’m kinda disappointed that they didn’t introduce this to the TES series. A mod might add this but certainly not any time soon so that’s not really comforting me. I guess they just didn’t spend enough time on this game and pressured themselves too much by focusing on that stupid repdigit date.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Well, I'm not really surprised hardcore mode(the one from Fallout:NV) isn't in Skyrim. Survival element doesn't fit with TES games thematically. In Fallout universe, you are in a post-apocalyptic nuclear wasteland that has irradiated water and (supposedly) no food. Food is hard to come by and most of the water is poisonous to drink. Not to mention, you need to keep your 'radiation' level low or you'll suffer from radiation sickness. Survival element is obviously a part of Fallout and it also plays a large role in the story too. They even advertise it as 'American's First Choice in Post Nuclear Simulation'

In TES games, you are not really going out there to survive. The food isn't scarce and most sources of water are always drinkable. It's not much of a challenge compared to Fallout and honestly, it would be a very trivial thing for immersion in TES universe. In Fallout, you need to be consciously aware that food is scarce and you need to manage water resource pretty well which helps you be immersed into this desolate wasteland. Survival is something to be always be aware of in Fallout. In TES, you should worry more about killing undead and monsters, looting dungeons and reading lores.

That is to say, it doesn't mean that hardcore mode shouldn't be in the game. Since its an option, (like Fallout:NV) it can be in the game without interfering your experience in Skyrim and I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy hardcore mod. I'm saying that it's not surprising that it's not in Skyrim. It's just weird that there are people who are enraged by the lack of hardcore mode. It wasn't even in previous TES games. I don't know why they are complaining. oh well

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
You made some good points but as you said yourself, it can be quite enjoyable. And I mean, come on, they added lots and lots of different pieces of meat that you can even view in your inventory and yet they are not meant for assuaging your hunger? What the heck?

Tusck

Hex you made some good points, but here are some ideas to think about.

1. Needing to wear winter cloths in cold weather or you have constant hp drop.
2. Can't eat raw meat unless Khajit or Argonian
3. addition of poisonous meats and weeds so you have to have some skill to know what you can and cannot eat.

Just some ideas of how to incorporate HC mode in TES.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
I doubt there are any mountains in Skyrim that would justify point 4 but all the other ones are interesting proposals.

Jeruhmi

A couple more:

4. Being at higher altitudes can slow you down, especially if you are wearing heavy armor.
5. Swimming in armor can cause you to drown faster.
Even if you are wearing heavy armor? I thought that wearing heavy equipment alone would slow you down.

Travis

I really like points 1,2,3, and 5. So, have they for sure not implemented any of these idea's? Not even eating and drinking in hard mode? Because that's kind of disappointing. I would be really interested in a multiple setting system, sort of like a racing game. Where you could turn the realism up, eat, drink, apply bandages to wounds for health drain to stop, but keep the combat difficulty in the normal range.