• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
So there is a mini debate about dual wielding.

Basically, you can only block with shield but not when you are wielding two one-handed weapon. I don't know the exact details here but this is confirmed... I forgot whether you can block or not with just one one-handed weapon or two-handed weapon but I doubt you can block with them either. Maybe you can with two-handed? I'm not sure. I would like to hear what you guys think on this issue.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
That’s pretty stupid. At least include a parade with the weapon that could be triggered if you time it right. It would be ridiculous if you, the great master of fencing, had to jump around like a monkey to avoid enemy blows when it would be so much easier to use your weapon to redirect the attack.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I can't agree more. The only solution I see is automatic parry/block when you are not attacking but that is pretty silly. I guess it could work like, the chance you automatically parry an attack depends on your skill with the weapon and such... Or you could just make a button that 'blocks' with your current weapon. That won't be a problem with PC but there's no button left for console controllers... I guess that's where they left out the blocking. I don't really want to point fingers... I suppose this is the price we pay for getting dual wielding in the game.

Jeruhmi

That makes sense. Having both your hands in use should mean you can't block. Unless you hit them with your weapons, lol.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
Thank god for the mods. Perhaps it can simulate a shield or something? I'm sure a mod like this will be created in the future.

How can't you make an 'x' with your two swords?!

Jeruhmi

Thank god for the mods. Perhaps it can simulate a shield or something? I'm sure a mod like this will be created in the future.

I never thought of that. I'm sure Skyrim will support blocking with two swords at the least!

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Exactly! Or as I proposed: timing-based parades. At least on higher skill levels. It’s preposterous to exclude them for sword masters.

Jeruhmi

Maybe there's not a block as such, there could be a kick function (maybe). So instead of blocking you can push them back for a second.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Hm, that would also be a possibility. It worked in “Dark Messiah of Might and Magic” so why the heck not here? Plus, we’d get one more option to throw (or now in this case: kick) annoying adorers from mountain tops :p

Jeruhmi

Hm, that would also be a possibility. It worked in “Dark Messiah of Might and Magic” so why the heck not here? Plus, we’d get one more option to throw (or now in this case: kick) annoying adorers from mountain tops :p
Now kicking people off mountain tops would be FREAKING awesome. That's all.
I really hope that there IS a kicking function :)
Would bring more realism to blocking with two weapons in your hands.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Kicking was sooooo overpowered in that game. It's like Godfoot. You kick stuff, they go into ragdoll physics and if you kick them right, it's instant kill. That would be totally cool but if it's in the game, Skyrim would be more of an action game rather than RPG.

kCin

Not being able to block with two swords is not that big of a deal i dont think, because you are in effect trading defensive capability for offensive. It will be a shame if it does happen though, because it will discourage individual play styles by causing you to DIE. In my experience, that is never the most favourable outcome :|

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Kicking was sooooo overpowered in that game. It's like Godfoot. You kick stuff, they go into ragdoll physics and if you kick them right, it's instant kill. That would be totally cool but if it's in the game, Skyrim would be more of an action game rather than RPG.
Yeah, kicking offers a lot more player-skill-based combat options and would make numerical stats less important so it might be incompatible with the way the devs made Skyrim. I think “Dead Island” actually did a better job with kicks where it takes three consecutive kicks to actually topple an enemy. There they are more often used to halt an enemies charge.

Jeruhmi

Not being able to block with two swords is not that big of a deal i dont think, because you are in effect trading defensive capability for offensive. It will be a shame if it does happen though, because it will discourage individual play styles by causing you to DIE. In my experience, that is never the most favourable outcome :|
Actually you have said that very well. I now sort of think that if you choose offence over defence that you shouldn't be able to defend.... to be honest.

Travis

Agreed. I wonder why they didn't implement that. It seems really obvious that it should be allowed. Maybe without it, there is just no incentive to use a shield.

Cyberote

Mayor of Zufadt
I don't really mind. It will provide a counter balance to dual wielding. Single wielding or sword and shield grants you the ability to block, but you have less attack power. With dual wielding, you get double the attack power but at the expense of losing the ability to block.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts