No Attribute: Your opinions and ideas

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

How do you feel about loss of attributes?

• I hate it. I think attributes were essential to the game and it's insane they took it out.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
As you may all know, the classic RPG attribute system has been removed from Skyrim. I guess you can say they've been replaced by Perks.

So every time you level up, you raise your health, magicka or stamina instead of the usual Strength, Endurance, Agility etc.

I really don't mind and I see why they did it. I still think they could have revamped up the system and have attributes and perks instead of just having perks. I guess they REALLY wanted to go with 'your character is not defined by your initial choices'. But honestly, I think we all have a specific characters in mind when we play the game.

Your thoughts, opinions, ideas?

Steve House

I dont mind it either...only thing I hated about attributes was wanting to upgrade my Strength when I knew I needed Intelligence being the only reason I wanted Strength was so that I could carry more stuff lol...so for me it's a good thing...less choices/sacrifices I guess...but then again that can be looked upon as being lazy or not as immersive..but I'm happy with the change overall. :)

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I dont mind it either...only thing I hated about attributes was wanting to upgrade my Strength when I knew I needed Intelligence being the only reason I wanted Strength was so that I could carry more stuff lol...so for me it's a good thing...less choices/sacrifices I guess...but then again that can be looked upon as being lazy or not as immersive..but I'm happy with the change overall. :)
Yeah, I always raise strength a little bit in every Fallout game because I really just want to carry a lot of stuff. Same thing for Oblivion, except I began raising them after I got all my main attributes to max 100. It was silly to have a character that had 100 max point on all attributes.

Steve House

I agree...I dont like maxed out characters...it takes the fun out of the game...that's partially why I cant play Oblivion or Morrowind on my PC anymore lol....I cant resist the Console Cheats lmao and it just spoils it for me...lol

Tusck

I like it. I prefer to be perk based rather than attribute based. Attributes are generic skill modifiers which only come into game play behind the scenes, whereas the perks have actual uses in your game play. Really what would you rather have, zoom and slow time on your bow, or a +5 agility. Give me zoom any day.

Jeruhmi

I think it's a great idea, as I hated having to decide and be left with regretting your initial character creation choice. If each race can gain the same attributes it will be much better.

Tusck

I think it's a great idea, as I hated having to decide and be left with regretting your initial character creation choice. If each race can gain the same attributes it will be much better.

Completely agree. I always hated that all my favorite races started with low endurance scores. You'd think that an Argonian lizard folk would be just as hardy as a Nord. Now that it's even, I can play my argonian without any regret, not that I ever powergame anyway.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I just like how Fallout had its attribute system. It was from 1 to 10 and one point made a huge difference. Not to mention that some of the perks are based on those attributes too. It would be cooler if perks weren't just limited to skills but each attributes had its own perks too. That way, we can define our character more. Equalizing all the races in terms of general attribute by removing them is a bit odd.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
It also ruins the realism, too. I mean, the idea of fine-tuning your character's attributes doesn't sound good to me. In the end, they're just a number which ultimately makes your hits a bit stronger or your health a bit greater. That's not really interesting, personally. It's great how with perks you can actually reap the benefits e.g zooming your bow like Tusck said.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
It also ruins the realism, too. I mean, the idea of fine-tuning your character's attributes doesn't sound good to me. In the end, they're just a number which ultimately makes your hits a bit stronger or your health a bit greater. That's not really interesting, personally. It's great how with perks you can actually reap the benefits e.g zooming your bow like Tusck said.
I agree that in Oblivion, the attribute system felt trivial. It was the skills that really defined your character. I think they had the wrong approach with max 100 attribute. Fallout was from 1 to 10. They didn't emphasize on it but it was a tool to define your character. Some of the useful and fun perks came with attributes. It's a very good mix of perks and attributes. A lot of designs in Skyrim is inspired by Bethesda's experience with Fallout. I am surprised they didn't use its system of mixed attribute and perks.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
I went with the second option but I am a bit more cautious about this. I suspect that they know what they’re doing and that it will be an improvement but it does seem like a bold move. We will see how well it will work.

Hellfire

Aint no problemo but i liked the attribute system...oh well, we should be grateful for what skyrims got to offer

Tusck

I went with the second option but I am a bit more cautious about this. I suspect that they know what they’re doing and that it will be an improvement but it does seem like a bold move. We will see how well it will work.

I agree that it is bold, considering most RPGs ever made had some type of attribute system, but I think they know it was bad in Oblivion and didn't want to just slap something else in there that didn't make sense to the skill system. I like the idea and can't wait to play!

Travis

It makes sense. Just adjust the thing you actually want, like Magicka, instead of trying to figure out which attribute gives you Magicka. My concern, is that it takes away a degree of complexity. I like complexity in these type of games, it makes me feel more in control, or specialized some how.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts