Nexus and/or Steam?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Kattus

Hey guys!
I've been playing around with a few mods (~30 tops) for a while and want to start modding my game properly on a large scale when I get a new PC this summer. Here's a question I have:
Nexus or Steam - what do you like better and why? Could I use both and still have LOOT figure out the load order without problems?
At the moment I prefer Steam because it is simple and pleasant to use, but I feel like Nexus has more mods and some really cool ones, that don't seem to be on steam? (If you have a favorite mod that is only available on one of the above, feel free to bring it up as a potential argument for either!)

Also, a smaller question on the side: are you guys cool with people posting their mod lists (or plans for one) and asking about experiences with single mods / compatibility experiences or would that be annoying?

Thanksie! :p

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I use both. I find that Nexus offers more. To make it easier, download the NMM (Nexus Mod Manager) to download your mods from Nexus, and yes then use LOOT to organize your mods.

NMM is easy to use. Just click on the green download icon. NMM will pop up. Wait for it to download. Find the mod in the list on the MODS page, highlight it and click to unpack it and install. Go back to PLUGINS page and check it's ticked. Run LOOT then you're done.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
Oh and feel free to post your mods and questions here. I have a similar thread going for myself. While I am also new to using mods I will answer anything I can for you. And there are some pretty knowledgeable people on here. What I would suggest is if you have a question about a particular mod, then provide a link to the page so someone can check it out for you.

sheggy6

Nexus offers a wider variety of mods, doesn't stop specific types of mods from entering the stream, and is able to include script extender and things of that nature. This makes Nexus Mods inherently superior. However, the steam variant offers better convenience, is easier to use, and all around less complicated.

Kattus

If I get, say, most mods from nexus and some from steam, will boss or loot still work?

sheggy6

You'd have to try it out and see, it's impossible to know which mods conflict with which without using a third-party software, or by just testing it out.

I use Nexus because I find that they have more mods as opposed to Steam. Although I have gotten some pretty cool mods from Steam that isn't available on Nexus.

Athilea

I use a mixture of mods between the two. There are some mods that I've only been able to find on Steam, and some that are only on Nexus. However, if they are on both I tend to go with Steam because it will auto load and update them as needed. I don't use the mod manager for Nexus, so I have to update those manually.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts