[NEWS] TESO to be Subscription based

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Will you still buy TESO?

• Total voters

utael

15$ a month is rediculous. I'm off the game unless that drops to 8$ or less...

Roq'ja

High Value Target of the Dark Brotherhood
I'm honestly a little surprised by this community's reaction to this. which appears to be largely negative.

Its pretty blind not to consider the fact that they've been spending over two years of development on this. Thats 2 years of paychecks for over 100 employees, thousands of dollars on software equipment and hardware equipment, two years of voice acting recording. Just to mention a few things.

Do you think that this money feel from the sky? Did Zenimax's CEO just poop it out one day? If I could excrete solid gold bars, I wouldn't be wasting my time in the video game industry.

Face it, Bethesda and Zenimax need funding to create and develop this game. They will also need funding for expanding the game by developing the yet to be seen locations and areas, new monsters, more quests, etc.

$60 USD is not much to ask for a game in this day and age, and seems pretty average. $15 USD a month? Working two hours on minimum wage will get you that, I'm sure you can flip burgers for for two hours once a month to pay for the the things you want to enjoy, no?

The reaction here seems pretty ignorant, and I'm sure Ill be bashed for my opinion, but really now, if you're the adult you pretend to be, or the actual adult who should understand how the world works by now, then you wouldn't really find any qualms with this news.

Jader

The Mystic Marksman
Not interested now...60$ then 15$/month? I rather put that money to other games and dlc.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Its pretty blind not to consider the fact that they've been spending over two years of development on this.
It's actually six years and it will be seven by the time the game is launched.

I think a lot of the reaction is coming from players who have never played a MMORPG with the traditional business model of monthly subscription fees or played a MMORPG at all. Worlds of Warcraft had a comparable subscription fee at launch as did other games like Anarchy Online and Eve Online. It's really not that big a deal from the perspective of actual MMORPG players who played MMORPGs a decade or so ago.

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
I'm honestly a little surprised by this community's reaction to this. which appears to be largely negative.

Its pretty blind not to consider the fact that they've been spending over two years of development on this. Thats 2 years of paychecks for over 100 employees, thousands of dollars on software equipment and hardware equipment, two years of voice acting recording. Just to mention a few things.

Do you think that this money feel from the sky? Did Zenimax's CEO just poop it out one day? If I could excrete solid gold bars, I wouldn't be wasting my time in the video game industry.

Face it, Bethesda and Zenimax need funding to create and develop this game. They will also need funding for expanding the game by developing the yet to be seen locations and areas, new monsters, more quests, etc.

$60 USD is not much to ask for a game in this day and age, and seems pretty average. $15 USD a month? Working two hours on minimum wage will get you that, I'm sure you can flip burgers for for two hours once a month to pay for the the things you want to enjoy, no?

The reaction here seems pretty ignorant, and I'm sure Ill be bashed for my opinion, but really now, if you're the adult you pretend to be, or the actual adult who should understand how the world works by now, then you wouldn't really find any qualms with this news.
I agree with you mate. It's just the way it is. The game will still have all the awesome features we've been anticipating and looking forward to for so long but like all things in life, you get what you pay for. If you don't want to pay, don't play and move on. It is what it is. The $15.00 monthly fee isn't too over the top. When I was young and didn't even have a job, me and my mates would get sponges, a bucket and soapy water, then go door knocking. We'd wash your car for a measly $2. We did a good job too, for children, so there's really no excuse for crying poor. Where there's a will, there's a way!

jarif

theirs plenty of ways that they can make money DLC's, armor mods, even mods like the smallest of things like oblivion armor mods, Todd Howard says they still make money of that, they can even make membership a lot of people do that, theres a lot of modding ideas they still do like a skeleton butler.

jarif

I agree with you mate. It's just the way it is. The game will still have all the awesome features we've been anticipating and looking forward to for so long but like all things in life, you get what you pay for. If you don't want to pay, don't play and move on. It is what it is. The $15.00 monthly fee isn't too over the top. When I was young and didn't even have a job, me and my mates would get sponges, a bucket and soapy water, then go door knocking. We'd wash your car for a measly $2. We did a good job too, for children, so there's really no excuse for crying poor. Where there's a will, there's a way!

If only I could :D

Reaper0021

Steam: Reaper0021
I've been playing WoW since beta...that's...my lord 10 years now. I've always expected to have to pay a sub fee for TESO and this doesn't shock me nor has it changed my mind. I'll still be playing it/buying it/subbing to it. It's the nature of the beast for me. Then again I'm a career man of 42 years of age that has resigned myself to always having to pay for my toys one way or the other. I still pay for my WoW time, my Star Wars time (even though it's free to play) and I can't help but want to pay for the ability to play TESO. That's just me. My daughter is the same way in that regard as is our whole collective group that we game with.

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
I wasn't planning on getting TESO to begin with, but to be honest, this isn't much of a surprise. (most) MMOs will always rely on subscriptions and pay-to-win features--they always have, and TESO seems to be following suit. There's no doubt that with such a steep subscription price, along with the fact that it's a MMO based off a successful SP franchise, the player base will be lackluster, even from the start. Hardcore MMO players may not find the price unusual or steep at all, but that's because they are used to paying so much for a game. Us Elder Scrolls players, who would get into the game because it has 'Elder Scrolls' in the name, aren't used to paying buckets of subscription money for a single game--we are used to a single fee that awards us with a fantastic single player game.

So yeah, unless they change the policy, TESO is bound to flop.

tumblr_m378j6ndTv1r0ftodo1_400.gif

Get-A-Job.png

I'm an Elder Scrolls player and I'm far from rich, just pay the $15, or don't. The game won't flop, you know it won't. What do you expect? The game creators who've put a significant chunk of their life into creating the game we've been dreaming about, for you and me no less, have done so for free? Find employment, you'll understand.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
Bethesda and Zenimax has every right to make money off of their games, and they can charge whatever subscription fee they desire. It is the consumer that makes the final decision if the game is worth 60 dollars plus 15 dollars monthly fee.

People have a hair up their butts over the subscription fee, but guess what? In order to maintain the servers Bethesda and Zenimax must pay for a 24/7 maintenance crew. If the servers goes down at any time they need to hire people to fix the problem. Without a subscription fee where does the money come from to fix the servers?

Base on what I've seen from previews this game does not impress me one bit. Most likely I will not be getting this game because not only am I not impressed, but I also had bad experience playing MMO related games in the past.

As for the kids here who's complaining that they can't afford the 15 dollars a month subscription fee because they don't have jobs... At least you have parents that gives you things like Iphones/Ipods and etc. I'm sure if you truly wanted this game that your parents will give it to you.

jarif

Bethesda and Zenimax has every right to make money off of their games, and they can charge whatever subscription fee they desire. It is the consumer that makes the final decision if the game is worth 60 dollars plus 15 dollars monthly fee.

People have a hair up their butts over the subscription fee, but guess what? In order to maintain the servers Bethesda and Zenimax must pay for a 24/7 maintenance crew. If the servers goes down at any time they need to hire people to fix the problem. Without a subscription fee where does the money come from to fix the servers?

Base on what I've seen from previews this game does not impress me one bit. Most likely I will not be getting this game because not only am I not impressed, but I also had bad experience playing MMO related games in the past.

As for the kids here who's complaining that they can't afford the 15 dollars a month subscription fee because they don't have jobs... At least you have parents that gives you things like Iphones/Ipods and etc. I'm sure if you truly wanted this game that your parents will give it to you.
unless your asian, they will smack you in the face for a game, they don't buy games for me anymore. I have to save up money if I wanted something and I usually don't tell if I have buyed a game and I can't keep getting $15 (probably £13.50) every month besides you do realize you would spend roughly $180 a year and people have better things to do with that money

Jader

The Mystic Marksman
Yeah..I don't really want to pay for a sub fee AND live on top of buying the game. Has nothing to do with being poor,just doesn't seem to be worth it imho.There are other games ill gladly spend that money on that don't require a monthly fee.

jarif

Yeah..I don't really want to pay for a sub fee AND live on top of buying the game. Has nothing to do with being poor,just doesn't seem to be worth it imho.There are other games ill gladly spend that money on that don't require a monthly fee.

$180, theirs a lot you can do with it

Roq'ja

unless your asian, they will smack you in the face for a game, they don't buy games for me anymore. I have to save up money if I wanted something and I usually don't tell if I have buyed a game and I can't keep getting $15 (probably £13.50) every month besides you do realize you would spend roughly $180 a year and people have better things to do with that money

Sounds to me like a personal problem.
$180 a year doesn't sound bad at all, especially when you compare to other expenses.

$2,400 to $3,00 a year for car payments
$1,200 a year for cable/internet/phone
$960 a year for cell phone
$1080 a year for car insurance
Miscellaneous yearly costs for food and gas

And lets not forget the big one, RENT. Depending on where you live you could pay anywhere between $7200 to $14,400 a year for rent.

Compared to those, paying $180 a year to get your kicks playing ESO isn't very much at all.
I can only take a stab and guess that you're nowhere near the maturity of an adult who understands the responsibilities of money. Which is no wonder why you feel outraged that ESO is asking for subscription fees.

Jader

The Mystic Marksman

Sounds to me like a personal problem.
$180 a year doesn't sound bad at all, especially when you compare to other expenses.

$2,400 to $3,00 a year for car payments
$1,200 a year for cable/internet/phone
$960 a year for cell phone
$1080 a year for car insurance
Miscellaneous yearly costs for food and gas

And lets not forget the big one, RENT. Depending on where you live you could pay anywhere between $7200 to $14,400 a year for rent.

Compared to those, paying $180 a year to get your kicks playing ESO isn't very much at all.
I can only take a stab and guess that you're nowhere near the maturity of an adult who understands the responsibilities of money. Which is no wonder why you feel outraged that ESO is asking for subscription fees.

OK mate,its fine that you don't see a problem with the fee but not everyone wants to pay it.you stated your opinion,he stated his.no needed to be an ass and insult someone's maturity because they don't see things your way.

Roq'ja

OK mate,its fine that you don't see a problem with the fee but not everyone wants to pay it.you stated your opinion,he stated his.no needed to be an ass and insult someone's maturity because they don't see things your way.

Agreed.

A.Auditore

maybe...
As an adult, usually that extra 15$ can come in handy, there is thing called life dont know if you are aware and plops tends to happen out of the blue so that 180$ a year could be helpful to say something that happens, not saying I have money issues I'm just cheap at certain things... So I may get it then again I may not depends where my priorities are at time if I do or not and IMO I think your are the one who isn't aware of money responsibility as not every one is the same and we all have different living conditions, so like everything in life there are 2 sides those who don't see paying the 15$ and those who do. And saying that someone isn't mature and isn't aware of money responsibility is kinda a low shot as you don't know them personally or their living situation

Reaper0021

Steam: Reaper0021
Jarif is a cool little dude so let's leave maturity out of this. No need to slam on him because he has to have priorities and his parents may make him justify purchases to them. I had to work 2 summers straight, 1986-87 cutting tobbacco here in Kentucky at $4.25 an hour before I could buy my 1st vehicle...and I lived at home as well. Parents made me learn at a young age the value of a $$$$. Let's not get personal here with this plops.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
...I had to work 2 summers straight, 1986-87 cutting tobbacco here in Kentucky at $4.25 an hour before I could buy my 1st vehicle...and I lived at home as well.,.
Luxury!

Grumpy Old Man said:
In my day, we didn't have video-games! We just sat around and watched a potata' bake!

In my day we didn't have hair dryers. If you wanted to blow dry your hair you stood outside during a hurricane. Your hair was dry but you had a sharp piece of wood driven clear through your skull and that's the way it was and you liked it! You loved it. Whoopee, I'm a human head-kabob.

In my day there was only one kind of condom. You took a rabbit skin and wrapped around your privates and tied it off with a bungee cord and you couldn't feel nothing! And half the time you didn't even know your partner was there. And we used the same one over and over again! 'Cause we were ignorant morons! Just a bunch of hairless, head-kabobs standing around with rabbit skins on our dinks and that's the way we liked it!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts