[NEWS] TESO to be Subscription based

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Will you still buy TESO?

• Total voters

Sean

lost somewhere
The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-1.jpg

On top of the price of the game ($60 / £55) people will have to pay a subscription fee ($14.99 / €12.99/ £8.99) each month for it.

The first month is included in the game's price, but each subsequent month will have a cost, as opposed to the initial information that the game would be free after the initial payment for the disc / download.

To me, this dropped my expectations for the game immensely, and see this as an awful idea.

Sources:
-Twitter
-Gamespot
-Forbes

Start Dale

I got 99 problems but a Deadra ain't one.
This has seriously put me off the game... I'm still intrigued but the game will have to be the most amazing thing ever for me to consider it at all. As well as all I will ever play at those prices!

Will see how I feel closer to the time.

Harc

Big Hog
Oh! And another awesome thing! Due to my age, I am not allowed to have a job. So guess what? I have no source of income to pay the monthly fee! This is what I call gettin ram-rodded by the MMO fees.

jarif

Okay I'l give my opinion. When you talk about the Elder Scrolls Online, there is a two sides; the MMO players and the Elder scrolls players. Now the people who are the MMO players will probably be ''okay'' with this regardless of their knowledge of the Elder Scrolls franchise but I guarantee that most of the people wanting to play this are a Elderscrolls fan and such fans are willing to jump into a different genre, and you might be thinking...

*derp voice*
''Well the Elderscrolls has a huge fan base it does not matter and plus they are able to implement updates ect ect including getting rid of the trolls.'''

That might true but the people coming here are TES fans and they want to play a TES game with their friends or just plain solo/single player not a MMO, its not like Xbox 360 were its okay to pay for online but its rather Xbox One all over again.

People just want to play a TES game and enjoy it, like I said the majority people coming here will be TES fans and not MMO players who have played WOW playing a subcription fee. There are new fans every year and now you would be disappointing them especially if they are new to the MMO genre.

Look how STWOR ended up (Star wars the old republic) it failed eventually because of the subcription fee. Do you know how many poor people or people who have decent jobs who can afford this? Especially if their a teenager (teenagers still payed for WOW but like I said those were MMO players, people coming into this will probably be TES fans again). You will disappoint the teenager age group especially if they were looking foward to PLAY with THEIR FRIENDS. (Which you could of have made money of)

They should treat it like a TES game not a MMO, like Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind ect ect. People just want to enjoy this, like sitting on their couch and play a TES game which every month a subscription fee pops up, *sigh, lazy mode activate*. I don't care if they can make updates I just want to play a TES game and this is a VERY VERY risky move and you will likely to loose fans which you could potentially make MONEY of and potentially make NEW fans to make MONEY OF.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
This wasn't a shock to me at all, I figured they would put subscription fees when I first heard about this milking project. I would venture to guess that this was their plan all along but I don't know how successful its going to be, that is pretty damn expensive to play one game. $60 and a $15/month fee is fluffing ridiculous though because this won't be that great of a game especially since its branching off an SP series thats incredibly successful because its SP. This only reinforces my guess that this game will be a severe flop.

Ivory

Let's Player
I am unsure of how to feel. I can understand the choice, but in the long term, unless they have a back up plan, there is little chance ESO will thrive as much as some of us want it to. WoW has been dropping in population over the years if i'm not mistaken. I think I'll keep a sharper eye on it, and decide when its closer to launch if i want to buy it. If it looks worth while, i'll give that month a chance, but i hope it will work. There will be quite the fall out if this fails from day one. (Granted that's worst case scenario, but still.)

TJ0331

Nords forever
My guess is that the more bored people get with it over the year the less online ability there will be since they wont wanna pay. Which will eventually ruin it for the hardcore players.

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
I wasn't planning on getting TESO to begin with, but to be honest, this isn't much of a surprise. (most) MMOs will always rely on subscriptions and pay-to-win features--they always have, and TESO seems to be following suit. There's no doubt that with such a steep subscription price, along with the fact that it's a MMO based off a successful SP franchise, the player base will be lackluster, even from the start. Hardcore MMO players may not find the price unusual or steep at all, but that's because they are used to paying so much for a game. Us Elder Scrolls players, who would get into the game because it has 'Elder Scrolls' in the name, aren't used to paying buckets of subscription money for a single game--we are used to a single fee that awards us with a fantastic single player game.

So yeah, unless they change the policy, TESO is bound to flop.

tumblr_m378j6ndTv1r0ftodo1_400.gif

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
This has seriously put me off the game... I'm still intrigued but the game will have to be the most amazing thing ever for me to consider it at all. As well as all I will ever play at those prices!

Will see how I feel closer to the time.
dale you say you have 99 problems but a deadra aint one well I quess you know have 100 problems yes, the new problem being with onlines subscription fee?

I am unsure of how to feel. I can understand the choice, but in the long term, unless they have a back up plan, there is little chance ESO will thrive as much as some of us want it to. WoW has been dropping in population over the years if i'm not mistaken. I think I'll keep a sharper eye on it, and decide when its closer to launch if i want to buy it. If it looks worth while, i'll give that month a chance, but i hope it will work. There will be quite the fall out if this fails from day one. (Granted that's worst case scenario, but still.)

Rimfaxe96

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed.

First to see so many people I wanted to play with in the other German Skyrim Fanforum turning their back to the game due to the fee.
And probably also including plenty of my friends...

Second; I wouldn't mind the money at all, but I can't deny the fact that I'm still a student. And when I'm finished with my current school I got 2 more years to go and goodness knows how things will develope eventually. Therefore, as much as I love The Elder Scrolls, but having to pay the full monthly fee even though I might only be able to play for 7 days in a month I might be busy in is just something I can't do. I'm sure that people who don't have pets, school, or a spend-all-day-at-work-job and other reponsibilities will eat this game up and won't mind the fee, but I don't have the luxury to put all this time into a video game anymore.
Therefore, if I'm ever going to buy it, it won't be before the next summer holidays start and most certainly not if it isn't amazing.

If they'd make you pay for a month of game-time and only make you buy more when you've spent it all instead of counting real life time, I wouldn't hesitate at all. But things aren't like that in capitalism anymore, so I highly doubt I'll get it.
If the fee would at least be a bit cheaper... 5 bucks and stuff. I don't like Free2Play, but 10 bucks per month... nah. That adds up to over 150$ per year.

Voted for "Haven't decided" because the possibility for my TES love to take over and buy it is still there, but maybe I'll just save it up until the first rumors and trailers of TES6 are released.

*derp voice*
''Well the Elderscrolls has a huge fan base it does not matter and plus they are able to implement updates ect ect including getting rid of the trolls.'''

I read it with J'zargo's voice.

Start Dale

I got 99 problems but a Deadra ain't one.
To be honest, I'm a little disappointed.

First to see so many people I wanted to play with in the other German Skyrim Fanforum turning their back to the game due to the fee.
And probably also including plenty of my friends...

Second; I wouldn't mind the money at all, but I can't deny the fact that I'm still a student. And when I'm finished with my current school I got 2 more years to go and goodness knows how things will develope eventually. Therefore, as much as I love The Elder Scrolls, but having to pay the full monthly fee even though I might only be able to play for 7 days in a month I might be busy in is just something I can't do. I'm sure that people who don't have pets, school, or a spend-all-day-at-work-job and other reponsibilities will eat this game up and won't mind the fee, but I don't have the luxury to put all this time into a video game anymore.
Therefore, if I'm ever going to buy it, it won't be before the next summer holidays start and most certainly not if it isn't amazing.

If they'd make you pay for a month of game-time and only make you buy more when you've spent it all instead of counting real life time, I wouldn't hesitate at all. But things aren't like that in capitalism anymore, so I highly doubt I'll get it.
If the fee would at least be a bit cheaper... 5 bucks and stuff. I don't like Free2Play, but 10 bucks per month... nah. That adds up to over 150$ per year.

Voted for "Haven't decided" because the possibility for my TES love to take over and buy it is still there, but maybe I'll just save it up until the first rumors and trailers of TES6 are released.

*derp voice*

I read it with J'zargo's voice.

I agree with this completely!

I may work full time but i have other things to be doing and even on a decent wage £8.99 is too much to put down each month for this. A lesser amount say a bit under a fiver and i could have been sold. It is just too much at this amount.

jarif

I'm going to miss out in the Shoddycast nude raid, in fact this might make people play the game less even if they are paying, say for example
Player 1 : Dude when are you paying for ESO?
Player 2: Might take while, don't get paid till a while and got busy stuff going on.
*2 weeks later*
Player 1 : Man I can't keep paying for this game, :/ I could have spended that money on sweet rolls or skooma.
Player 2: When are you paying the game? We got a guild raid soon!
Player 1: Dude I don't want to pay for this anymore, I just want to play for a TES game not a MMO. I can't keep paying for this game.
Player 2: Fine f***f it, I'm going away, not everyone is in the guild raid and there's only like 2 people online and we need 40!

Sean

lost somewhere
There is no reason I would ever pay $15 a month for this game, after already paying for the game, that is just dumb.

Then, if you are going to play this on an X1 / PS4, then you will have to pay for the XBL subscription ON TOP of that.

The game doesn't look that good anyways, and just like any other fantasy setting MMO, and it doesn't seem to be a real Elder Scrolls game.

This game is definitely just so Zenimax Media can make a quick buck, and not to evolve the Elder Scrolls series as a whole, which is something that it could have been.

To anyone saying that a person should just buy a gaming PC and play Skyrim:
Why?

I have a gaming PC (with Skyrim and over 200 mods), but playing on your own gets repetitive, and I would much rather play with friends.
I have never considered the PC a social gaming system, as it just feels isolated.

TESO had potential, but adding in this ridiculous $15 price tag per month even though you already paid for the game (and assuming the console's subscription fee, too) is just overboard and plain stupid (on the developers / publisher, not the customers).

The system's subscription should be what lets a person play online, not the game's.

I was on the fence for TESO, as I haven't really liked MMOs, but wanted to give it a shot, and play TES with some friends, but now there is no way in hell I am going to pay for their subscription fee.
I may rent the game at one point, but never going beyond their "free" 30 days.

jarif

There is no reason I would ever pay $15 a month for this game, after already paying for the game, that is just dumb.

Then, if you are going to play this on an X1 / PS4, then you will have to pay for the XBL subscription ON TOP of that.

The game doesn't look that good anyways, and just like any other fantasy setting MMO, and it doesn't seem to be a real Elder Scrolls game.

This game is definitely just so Zenimax Media can make a quick buck, and not to evolve the Elder Scrolls series as a whole, which is something that it could have been.

To anyone saying that a person should just buy a gaming PC and play Skyrim:
Why?

I have a gaming PC (with Skyrim and over 200 mods), but playing on your own gets repetitive, and I would much rather play with friends.
I have never considered the PC a social gaming system, as it just feels isolated.

TESO had potential, but adding in this ridiculous $15 price tag per month even though you already paid for the game (and assuming the console's subscription fee, too) is just overboard and plain stupid (on the developers / publisher, not the customers).

The system's subscription should be what lets a person play online, not the game's.

I was on the fence for TESO, as I haven't really liked MMOs, but wanted to give it a shot, and play TES with some friends, but now there is no way in hell I am going to pay for their subscription fee.
I may rent the game at one point, but never going beyond their "free" 30 days.

You know what. One of the reasons my friends and I were building a PC (my dads paying for it so don't say I can still play ESO subscription) so we could get ESO and have that fun RP social aspect, even my friend was maybe getting this who has played Skyrim and enjoyed it but still says he hates it since its so distracting was maybe going to get it to play with me and my other friends. This is disappointing that I can't get this game for my PC and not share the experience I could of have with them.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Look how STWOR ended up (Star wars the old republic) it failed eventually because of the subcription fee.
Sorry, but you have to be living in an alternate reality to think that The Old Republic failed because of the subscription fee. It was poorly implemented, poorly executed and rushed to release. There were a litany of problems with the game including a third party game engine that couldn't support group PvP play in large numbers, spreading of players across too many servers, a disappointing lack of innovation, and the common mistake of lack of end game content. People will pay to play if the game content, design and execution are exceptional. The problem is that MMORPG's simply no longer meet these kinds of standards.

There are no truly free rides with any MMORPG revenue model. In "free" online games, players who don't pay are either second classs citizens that don't have access to content that paying players have, or the game is a CORPG like Guild Wars which doesn't require the infrastructure to support gameplay that MMORPG's require and can run based on a campaign based revenue stream (and even CORPG's have features that require additional payment if players want access to those features).

The subscription business model was predictible and one of several reasons why many fans of the Elder Scrolls franchise were rolling their eyes when TESO was announced. While the lore elements of the game are going to be present, as an MMORPG, the feel of playing the game is and was always going to be markedly different than the current franchise, which is why the game holds so little interest for many of the current players of the games.

jarif

You know what happened when Xbox one when they changed their policies and they were dead set, promising not changing them, tell in other words f***f you consumers well this is exactly like Xbox one and people are already rebelling on this news with negative feedback so all hope is not lost, go to IGN

jarif

Look how STWOR ended up (Star wars the old republic) it failed eventually because of the subcription fee.
Sorry, but you have to be living in an alternate reality to think that The Old Republic failed because of the subscription fee. It was poorly implemented, poorly executed and rushed to release. There were a litany of problems with the game including a third party game engine that couldn't support group PvP play in large numbers, spreading of players across too many servers, a disappointing lack of innovation, and the common mistake of lack of end game content. People will pay to play if the game content, design and execution are exceptional. The problem is that MMORPG's simply no longer meet these kinds of standards.

There are no truly free rides with any MMORPG revenue model. In "free" online games, players who don't pay are either second classs citizens that don't have access to content that paying players have, or the game is a CORPG like Guild Wars which doesn't require the infrastructure to support gameplay that MMORPG's require and can run based on a campaign based revenue stream (and even CORPG's have features that require additional payment if players want access to those features).

The subscription business model was predictible and one of several reasons why many fans of the Elder Scrolls franchise were rolling their eyes when TESO was announced. While the lore elements of the game are going to be present, as an MMORPG, the feel of playing the game is and was always going to be markedly different than the current franchise, which is why the game holds so little interest for many of the current players of the games.

sorry I have played a little of SWTOR, might play more and I kept hearing it was for this reason or something similar so please forgive me of my ignorance lol :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts