• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
Hello fellow Skyrim addicts!

I created a new character last night. Since I first started playing Skyrim in December, I always wanted build a hunter. Open scenery, vast forests and plentiful animals. I kept saying to myself that once I finished the major quests, I'll be a hunter. Yet, it never fit any of my current builds, despite them being hunters by nature. So I created one and I just wanted to share it with you. Any feed back, critique or suggestions are welcomed.

Race: Nord
Name: Harker
Armor for hunting: Savoir's Hide, Hide Boots, "Uncursed" Ring of Hircine
Clothing for the city: Tunics and boots
Weapons: Hunting Bow (fine) and two daggers.

Gameplay:
I will play him as a straight hunter. No main questlines. No civil war. Nothing. Only hunter oriented quests (Ex: Ill Met By Moonlight). He will avoid confrontations unless he sees no other options (Ex: Bandits, Mages, Vampires, Werewolves, etc). Horses and Fast Travelling are band. He will walk/run everywhere. Income will come from selling meat, pelts and anything else he finds out in Skyrim. Potions to be carried are Health and Stamina only. The rest are sold for gold.

No Magic usage. He's a drifter so no permanent residence. He'll sleep either outside a main town or rent a room in a inn. He'll honor Hircine (reason for the Savior's Hide and Ring of Hicine). He is not a werewolf. Hircine's "gifts" are trophies from the hunt. He is blind in one eye after suffering an attack by a pack of wolves.

He'll relatively be a good character so no Lock Picking or stealing. Any quests that involve mischief are band. Murder is band, unless it's part of a hunt (Ex: Ill Met By Moonlight). All this can change as the character matures and develops, but this is pretty much my build right now.

I'm very excited about this play through. I normally play evil characters so this is a different pace for me. It is hard, yet proving to be a rewarding gaming experience thus far. Maybe this hunter will side with the Dawnguard when the DLC comes out. Interesting thought.

Nuitari

Dark Luna God of Magic
You can't get both the ring of hircine and the saviour's hide

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
You can't get both the ring of hircine and the saviour's hide
Yes you can. Agree to kill the hunters, talk to the werewolf then kill him. Skin his flesh and Hircine appears. He gives you the Hide. Exit the cave and he appears again. He talks to you about siding with the werewolf. When he leaves, check your inventory and the ring is there.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
How would you feel about using the Predator's Grace boots? They have a Muffle enchantment and 1% stamina regeneration. I think they would suit your character nicely, or at least until you find a better random loot?

If I can find them. Sneaking is going to be a big part of this character.

I tried such a build... got boring after 3 hours though.

M'aiq

M'aiq The Liar
Honestly, M'aiq thinks that the best central race for a hunter would be a Wood Elf.
If you intend on using bows.
But Nords are okay too.
Just M'aiq's opinon.

Xarnac

Are you on PC? If so check out the sabre gear mod. Otherwise, for a helm, you can use the bear head of the Stormcloak officers.

ScreenShot7.jpg

I'll post some pics of the Sabre gear as well, since it has an awesome light and heavy "survivors kit".

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
Are you on PC? If so check out the sabre gear mod. Otherwise, for a helm, you can use the bear head of the Stormcloak officers.

ScreenShot7.jpg

I'll post some pics of the Sabre gear as well, since it has an awesome light and heavy "survivors kit".

That looks awesome! But sadly, I'm on PS3. :sadface:

Xarnac

That looks awesome! But sadly, I'm on PS3. :sadface:
That sucks, but that headdress is still in game. Just kill a Stormcloak officer. You could go hat-less, or the fur helm, but the Bear screams mountain man hunter/trapper/furrier. The Sabrecat helm is bad ass though and comes in white, black and reg sabercat colors. They should really add that into a DLC.

12583-5-1331400355.jpg

13687-1-1336057537.jpg
generic pics from mod, not a build of mine

Ikim919

I have a hunter account also... I use:
Armor: Saviours hide
Necklace: Kyne's token
Foot: Predator's grace
Bow: Bow of the hunt
One hand: Poachers axe

Late in the game, you may want Smithing to improve your bows. Foresworn are the best, because they're Dwarven tier, but Steel perk, so they can be improved with a steel ingot to high damage early on. It also gives you something to do with all those hides you pile up. Improve their armor, most Redoubts have smithing stations so you don't have to carry them far. They also match the Savior's Hide nicely. You can steal some Steel Ingots from Alvor's shop after dark, but if you save them, you only need to do it once. You can also do the Cidnha Mine quest for the Gauntlets of the Old Gods, which fortify your damage. Their arrows suck, though.

I clear out forts, then come back when the Imperials/Stormcloaks re-occupy them, because they all carry Steel Arrows. You can get hundreds each trip, hit Greymor, and Sungard for more than enough to last you until they Respawn. The worst thing that can happen to a pure archer is to run out of arrows, a good Dagger may be nice to backstab an Archer to get more. My build is Archery, Light Armor, Alchemy, Sneak, and Smithy. You don't really need more than that, if you stay outside, but 1, or 2 handed makes a decent backup. A Greatsword actually works at least as well as the standard Dagger, or short sword (especially for a Nord) if you know how to use it. Play the Reach game instead of Range, it's not that far from the standard Archer's tactics.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts