Xbox 360 n00b question - how do I use Scroll Spells without damaging myself

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

RT2K

Please be gentle with me, not only am I am new here but I am new to the Elder Scrolls series and RPG's in general.

My problem is that everytime I attempt to use a Scroll spell, for example, Scroll of Blizzard or Scroll of Firestorm, I end up causing more damage to myself than to the opponent.

I am not exactly sure what I am doing wrong. I equip the scroll, then get it ready - it takes a little while to be fully ready for use - then aiming at my opponent I release the button. However, instead of unleashing a damaging blow to my opponent, I end up taking the brunt of the damage sometimes to immediate death with the more powerful scrolls. Also, my follower usually takes as much damage and if I survive the scroll spell, they then attack me and force me to kill him/her.

Obviously I am doing something wrong as the scrolls take no magic skill to use, I would assume it is an easy thing to do.

Can someone provide some guidance.

Much thanks for any help you can provide.

-RT2K

3v3r

I have scale-itch... Don't ask how I got it.
Scrolls aren't supposed to damage you. This is odd sorry I can't help.

RT2K

Thanks for the reply. That makes it even more confusing, I had just assumed I was doing it wrong. Some examples of the Scroll Spells I've tried:

Scroll of Blizzard - I activated it from my Items menu, it was in my left hand as a weapon. I charged it and aimed at the enemy and fired just like a weapon and the blizzard tore me to shreds immediately!

Scroll of Firestorm - I activated it from my Items menu, it was in my left hand as a weapon. I charged it and aimed at the enemy and fired just like a weapon, this time I caught fire and my health deteriorated rapidly - took potions to keep my health up until the flames subsided. However, Lydia also caught fire and then attacked me... I was hoping she would "cool down" - no pun intended. But she didn't, she just kept causing me saying "Now you've done it," and kept attacking me until I was left with no choice but to kill her

Same thing happened when I tried to use J'zargo's test scroll.

I was just sure there was something I was missing. Since this has happened three times, it can't be an isolated incident... Is there anything I might be doing wrong?

3v3r

I have scale-itch... Don't ask how I got it.
I've used all 3 of these scrolls and only J'zargo's are supposed to damage you. Must be some glitch where J'zargo's effect spread to the rest of the scrolls. Maybe try to reload a previous save, also the blizzard and firestorm scrolls are supposed to be dual wielded they should automatically in both not just in one hand.

RT2K

Thanks for writing back. You are correct, they are two-handed... honestly I had forgotten because after my first two experiences killed me I avoided the scrolls like the plague... :-D

Until I got J'zargos scrolls. FYI: my issue with the Scroll Spells killing me began long before I had J'zargo's scrolls; long before I had even gone to the College in Winterhold, so it seems unrelated.

Thomas Liu

tyl089
never had that problem, and I used a bunch of scrolls when i first tried to wipe out the thieves guild before realizing that i can't, and never got hurt using them as I also used blizzard as well as fire storm. are you on pc, xbox or ps3? Might be a glitch either way.

ub3r_n3rd

My experience with J'zargos scrolls was that I used it the first time and it hit my follower who immediately started attacking me and trying to kill me. I sheathed and unsheathed my weapons a few times and she still attacked me. I had to go through a different door and hide until the spell from the scroll faded and then caught back up to her and had her follow me again. I thought it was pretty stupid and am still not sure if it was a bug or supposed to happen as a reaction to me using the scroll too close to her. I made sure the next time I used it that I told her to wait behind and then waited for it to fade again before going back to her so that she wouldn't attack me again.