My Skyrim disc doesn't work anymore. :(

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
This has to be the worst day of my life! Not really but seriously this ticks me off I guess I played Skyrim way too much that my Xbox 360 is giving the big F U to Skyrim so it scratched it all up and made the disc unreadable making the game not playable anymore. I have taken great care of my disc and have not thrown it or anything I just was unaware of the fact that 360 is capable of scratching discs! Its definately not the 360 because all my other games work on it still just skyrim is unreadable and it won't even load up. Any advice on how to fix the scratches and hopefully I can play it again or do I have to save up money and buy a new copy? :sadface:

Omega

Vindictive Courier
Might want to get your Xbox checked out first just in case. You don't want to waste money buying a new disc if its going to scratch that one too, I play on a PS3 so I haven't had any experience handling Xbox consoles but I read that if you place the Xbox in a certain position it will scratch the disc, maybe that's the reason why. Sorry I can't be of much help :sadface:.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
I am sorry to hear that bro. I use a PS3 so I have not idea what I can do to help you with that. Perhaps what Omega advised you is your best choice. Sorry. :sadface:

JayW

I don't want to give you false hope but I had a similar problem some time ago (6 months odd). My Xbox instructed me that the disc was scratched and that it could not be read (other games I had worked fine). I tried cleaning the disc but this didn't seem to make any difference (NB use a special cloth if you want to try this out - something like those cloths people clean their glasses with - i used one from my ski goggles). I then tried cleaning my xbox. Electronic goods collect dust like little else, all it needs is for some dust to block the disc. You should probably be more careful than I was but some lightly dampened earbuds, my ski goggles cloth and some blowing through air vents (an old gameboy trick I used to use) and it started working again. Please don't break your Xbox doing what I did, but it got the old thing working again. There never were any scratches on my disc as far as I could tell.

Sheuneux

Guardian of Talos Worship
The best way to make sure your discs for the xbox stay in good shape is to install them once you get a new game. This saves the life of the laser, as well as making sure things like this wont happen. If you have your xbox standing up, and the disc is spinning (Especially older models, not the slim) it is possible to move the xbox even the slightest bit while standing and that will carve a big ring in the disc, I did this to one of my CoD's.

If you have any store around that fixes discs, you should check into that. I am pretty sure Eb Games/Game Stop has machines that take a layer off the disc removing scratches, but that might not work either if the disc is completely ruined.

If you look up ways to clean the discs at home, be careful what you read because a lot of the stuff people post is B.S.

Saozig

Hippy
I don't know what to tell you. I have Xbox. My Skyrim disc has practically lived in my Xbox drive for over a year. I've taken it out maybe three times (and have simply laid it playing-side face-up on my TV stand and the disc case is pretty ruined from my neglect), and accidentally opened the drive door, which lead the disc dropping to the floor a couple of times, but my copy is virtually scratch free. Ther's a few scratches that appear from me improperly inserting in into the drive, but none whatsoever from use inside the drive. That is, no scratches that appear to have been made while the disc was moving in teh drive. I've even once knocked my Xbox, with Skyrim disc inside, off its shelf where it fell 2 1/2 feet straight onto a patch of exposed bare concrete (most of my room is covered by an area rug--it fell on the part that isn't). It doesn't run as perfectly as it did before that fall--about once ever few minutes the gameplay lags in a certain annoying way--but the disc is fine. I just double checked right now in fact and I see now new scratches from the last time I hit the drive door buttong and it fell out.

As for dust: I live in one of the dustiest cities around--El Paso, Texas. We have lots of dry and windy weather, and fine particles manage to get into the house and coat everything. What's worse is my Xbox and TV (and DVR and Blu-ray, as well as my digital piano) are literally right below a window I keep open nearly year-round to help circulate the air and keep this small room cool, for myself and for all the electronics and musical instruments I have in here. I can dust thoroughly one day, but then the winds can pick up and by the next morning, there's a fine but visible layer of dust on everything again. And this isn't just typical household dust, from dead skin, fabric lint and fine particles of household paint/materials--this is fine dirt particles coming in from outside. The stuff that should be lethal to electronics, and I have a very hard time cleaning as regualrly as I should (but yes, my room's floor is littered with dried dirty electronics wipes and exhausted bottles of aerosol electronics cleaner). Yet not only have I had remarkably few problems with electronics getting dmaged by dust (aside from exterior stcraches from improper cleaning), it appears that dust is not getting into my Xbox drive (looks pretty clean in there), or at least, isn't effecting my disc at all.

So I don't know what is going on with anyoen else's Xbox, but I don't think this is a problem universl to any Xbox. In which case, there may be something wrong with your particular Xbox or Syrim disc. I wouldn't know, as I've never hd this problem. But I'm sorry--I know I would be pretty bleeping upset myself if my Xbox decided one day it couldn't read my disc and me not knowing why.

JClarke1953

This has to be the worst day of my life! Not really but seriously this ticks me off I guess I played Skyrim way too much that my Xbox 360 is giving the big F U to Skyrim so it scratched it all up and made the disc unreadable making the game not playable anymore. I have taken great care of my disc and have not thrown it or anything I just was unaware of the fact that 360 is capable of scratching discs! Its definately not the 360 because all my other games work on it still just skyrim is unreadable and it won't even load up. Any advice on how to fix the scratches and hopefully I can play it again or do I have to save up money and buy a new copy? :sadface:

You can call Bethesda (you'll need to Google them. They are in Bethesda, Maryland), and they'll give you an address to send your CD, as well as a $20.00 money order (a check will take longer to process). And in about 10-14 day's, and Skyrim CD will be in your mail.

Kory Stukenborg

Proud Member of the Mercer County Facial Hair Club
Peanut butter! Put peanut butter on the disc and wash it off. You can also try keyboard cleaner. Also you can try soap and water. I usually use soap and water though.

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
Sometimes laying the dsk down somewhere or even lightly putting it back in its case can damage a disk and sometimes light can damage a disk over time too.

Though, A few months ago I was told by a computer and CD expert and even gave me a site to look at to prove it that we are protecting CD's the wrong way.

http://photocollector.net/TipCD.htm

And it actually made me realise that when you put a disk into anything the bottom of whatever it is put in doesn't read the disk.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts