• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ShadowMage

Article Writer
Okay here is another build I'm posting

THE RACE
Any of the Elven races will do good(Not including Orcs and Wood elves)
My favorite is the High Elf. They have +50 magicka at the start, and their ability is 10x magicka regeneration speed.

THE ARMOR
This is very important because your not going to put many perks into health/stamina

Two Words: ALL DRAGONSCALE
(yes you can use heavy armor)
But until you get to Daedric or Dragonscale, you'll be using robes.(you also need high enchanting)

THE WEAPONS
...your a mage you know

THE POWERS
Use Highborn ability and any defensive shout

THE PERKS
What i do is put perks into Destruction up to expert and get ONE of the augmented(flame,frost,shock)
Then go to Illusion and get all until Adept or Expert(idk) and maybe a few side perks
Alteration; Get the novice, apprentice, adept, Perks until Paralysis. few side perks
Conjuration: DON'T GET ANY LEVEL PERKS(e.g novice)
Master level spells are infinite time... But get until the twin souls perk(ALL left side)
Restoration, just get until adept and side perks

Hope you enjoy my build

Windress

Wouldn't it make more sense to use Heavy Armor from the very beginning to insist in leveling your "Heavy Armor" skill set? Wearing Robes will only cause to you level your "Light Armor" skill set, and they offer no additional perks that you can't get from enchanting heavy armor....

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Wouldn't it make more sense to use Heavy Armor from the very beginning to insist in leveling your "Heavy Armor" skill set? Wearing Robes will only cause to you level your "Light Armor" skill set, and they offer no additional perks that you can't get from enchanting heavy armor....

But most heavy armour early on in the game isn't very strong, and will not defend you that well. So you simply use robes.

Windress

But most heavy armour early on in the game isn't very strong, and will not defend you that well. So you simply use robes.

It will defend you better than a set of robes will, though. The base level of defense on a set of Robes is Zero, and while I can see the benefits of wearing them for the destruction/conjuration skill bonuses, that still leaves your character extremely vulnerable during a time (early game play) in which they are poorly equipped to defend themselves.

Most Mages cannot one-shot a foe until they are at least level 6, and even with the 50 point bonus offered by the High Elf Race Class, their Magicka tends to run out quickly. So that means any confrontation the character encounters early in the game will come with a high probability that their opponents can get close enough to land a couple blows. With an armor rating of Zero, how long are they going to survive in a dungeon of Dwemer Skeletons, when two to three spawn per area?

All that aside, there's also the factor of contributing to a skill set you intend to use over the longevity of the game. It just doesn't make a ton of sense to me to build levels in Light Armor if you would be better served adding that experience to your heavy armor skill instead, particularly since you would have no use for light armor after a certain point.

But these are just thoughts, from one mage player to another. Perhaps I'm missing something concerning the value of equipped robes. I know that I ran the entire game for my High Elf mage with Heavy Armor on, and never felt restricted by my choice. In fact, it saved my hide on more than one occasion, when I ran low on Magicka or Stamina and a Bandit just got a bit "too close."

meneldor

After 300 magicka I put all points to Health. I use only robes and except the Priest mask (forgot the name) all my gear is cloth. Enchanted everything with Destruction enchants so my mana never ends! I am using the Quiet cast perk and 100 sneak so I easy ambush mobs :)

ShadowMage

Article Writer
Maybe, but why would i use heavy armor when im using restoration
the first enemies only use iron or steel, which don't deal more than 15 damage

Windress

Maybe, but why would i use heavy armor when im using restoration
the first enemies only use iron or steel, which don't deal more than 15 damage

Because using Heavy Armor will ultimately contribute to leveling your Heavy Armor Skill set, which you will need if you intend to wear heavy armor later in the game, as you have indicated above.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, You've said both "heavy armor" and "All Dragonscale." Dragonscale Armor isn't heavy armor, it's light armor. So are you planning to complete the build with the light Dragonscale armor? Or the heavier Dragonplate armor? Or am I misreading it altogether?

ShadowMage

Article Writer
Because using Heavy Armor will ultimately contribute to leveling your Heavy Armor Skill set, which you will need if you intend to wear heavy armor later in the game, as you have indicated above.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, You've said both "heavy armor" and "All Dragonscale." Dragonscale Armor isn't heavy armor, it's light armor. So are you planning to complete the build with the light Dragonscale armor? Or the heavier Dragonplate armor? Or am I misreading it altogether?
I did mean dragonscale for lighter people.

Windress

I did mean dragonscale for lighter people.

Oh, well that certainly makes more sense. In that case, you're absolutely right that there's no need to bother with heavy armor. I would suggest using heavy armor from the beginning only in the event that the final goal for your character is to have them equipped with a form of heavy armor upon level mastery. Silly me.

And I'm actually a great fan of the dragonscale armor. I ended up using Dragonplate on my High Elf, but I created Dragonscale armor for Aela, and I loved the helmet. Great stuff.

ShadowMage

Article Writer
Oh, well that certainly makes more sense. In that case, you're absolutely right that there's no need to bother with heavy armor. I would suggest using heavy armor from the beginning only in the event that the final goal for your character is to have them equipped with a form of heavy armor upon level mastery. Silly me.

And I'm actually a great fan of the dragonscale armor. I ended up using Dragonplate on my High Elf, but I created Dragonscale armor for Aela, and I loved the helmet. Great stuff.
Yes, I think they should choose between heavy and light armor. i get that your saying you should use heavy armor all the way. But with Impact(Destruction) you won't get hit as much.

Also for heavy armor wearer's, I suggest atleast using a hood(Novice Hood is what i used) and I did pretty fine.(I play on Master)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts