• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jeruhmi

I am 98.5% sure that there is going to be no multiplayer. I can see an expansion that could bring some elements of multiplayer though. If it DOES have co-operative play then this will be my new favourite game so to say.

Tusck

When I said multiplayer, I really should I have said coop, but a good conversation none the less. I would totally play on a persistent server if someone was using TES5 as a back drop. Hell I would play right now if there was one for Morrowind.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe people can join your game but they only act as something like a guard or hired assassin, so they are just your follower but a live person. This wouldn't benefit the player's main character, but stuff like money and items he earned could be transferred to his main character. Who knows.

N3w_2_$kyr1min

Can't wait for Skyrim
I think online multiplayer would ruin it, but for consoles I wouldn't mind the ability to do split screen. That has the potential to increase the fun. ^^

Tusck

Maybe people can join your game but they only act as something like a guard or hired assassin, so they are just your follower but a live person. This wouldn't benefit the player's main character, but stuff like money and items he earned could be transferred to his main character. Who knows.

Kind of like how Fable did it for split screen. I would actually imagine it to be more like Diablo 2. You enter the same story line but the more people in the game, the harder the mobs get, so you actually need to work together in order to beat it. That would probably also make the trinity of classes more needed. In this type of world, I could totally see an old school PNP type of experience like that.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
I don't think multiplayer would work with TES games at all. It's solely designed for singleplayer. I don't want the devs to force multiplayer into the game. Some games are better multiplayer, some games are just better singleplayer experience

I agree with hex. It's better that there's still games that are solely designed for single player experience. Almost every game seems to have forced upon multiplayer option, even though it won't just work. Resident Evil 5 is a perfect example how poorly added multiplayer ruins also single player. Multiplayer is a trend, but I think it will tide out slowly. Only to come back after awhile.

Sheogorath

Cheese for everyone.
I would like to play with my friend once in a while, like renegader said the person could just be some low follower and it would be fun to cause some trouble in towns and slay dragons :)

Flamingtaco

I really dislike MMOs because they tend to be low quality single player rpgs that just happen to have other people in them as well, but because they're MMOs they get lots of praise. The only things I could ever see in Elder Scrolls would be a multiplayer arena which would have to use ranked matches or put everyone on the same level, and specifically designed co-op quests. I think if Bethesda gave the license to do that to an external developer then that could turn out alright. But, it wouldn't really be Elder Scrolls, it would just use the lore and title.

Cyberote

Mayor of Zufadt
I've thought of this for a bit. No multiplayer for the campaign whatsoever. It would just destroy the foundation and immersion. But there could be a multiplayer mode where there are dungeons made specifically for co-op that you and a friend could run through. Though idk what would happen once you beat all the dungeons. People would get tired of it and stop playing, so it'd be sort of a useless attachment.

Flamingtaco

Yeah thats kind of what I was thinking. Its also what was done in Two Worlds 2 which is a similar type of game, but like I said, it would be best handled by another developer. I guess the other option would be a sort of "girlfriend mode" like in Fable.

Cole

Mythik
If they did add multi-player, maybe they could add it kind of like what Bioware is doing with Mass Effect 3 in that horde mode type of thing, with set character classes and weapons.
I don't really know how they could implement that well, or where it would fit in story-wise, and I would prefer it remain single-player. I don't want them to focus on anything other then the main story and quests in the world, not have multi-player quests and environments to take away from that.

Akatosh

Multiplayer games blow. i am a loner when it comes to my video games. leave me alone and let me explore..

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
. I don't want them to focus on anything other then the main story and quests in the world, not have multi-player quests and environments to take away from that.

That's a good point. Games do have a limited budget and you can't really strech it to cover everything. It's way much better that we get polished single-player game than rushed one with multiplayer.

Flamingtaco

Bethesda has specifically said that they would rather focus on an excellent single player game than on adding multiplayer components. They dont feel that it is a worthwhile addition to the main series. If they license the rights to make a mutliplayer TES game to another developer than that would be good fan service and not actually btoher their focus.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
If they license the rights to make a mutliplayer TES game to another developer than that would be good fan service and not actually btoher their focus.

They're not likely to do it though. Bethesda have given major headache to Interplay, for making up MMORPG out of Fallout. If that wasn't enough, they also sued inventor of Minecraft for using name "Scrolls". You can find more about it from here http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Notch-Scrolls-Minecraft-Mojang-Trademark-Infringement,13741.html

Travis

I really don't know if Skyrim will have a multiplayer aspect, but I guess I would ask the community, would you use it if available? Personally I would love to see multiplayer like in NWN. I loved playing on servers with a good community, some pvp, and the real time events that most devs would put on. It believe, if done well, it takes the game to a whole new level.
Yeah, I would love to see some NWN co-op action. My wife and I played through that game, and all of it's expansions multiple time, being different char types, and just exploring all the PRC content. I don't really care about PVP, but there is nothing better that hanging out with my wife, side-by-side on our couch playing a good co-op RPG.

Ricky

Not a Lawyer
Coop only. If there was an online multiplayer feature other then Coop. I would suggest a small arena mode when other characters around the world battle it out for true tests of Skyrim Epicosity.

Flamingtaco

They're not likely to do it though. Bethesda have given major headache to Interplay, for making up MMORPG out of Fallout. If that wasn't enough, they also sued inventor of Minecraft for using name "Scrolls". You can find more about it from here http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Notch-Scrolls-Minecraft-Mojang-Trademark-Infringement,13741.html
Well the whole interplay problem is because Bethesda bought the rights to fallout but when they did so they gave rights to an mmo within a certain time frame. But I do understand what youre saying. They probably dont want to have to worry about any more legal troubles.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
Well the whole interplay problem is because Bethesda bought the rights to fallout but when they did so they gave rights to an mmo within a certain time frame.
I recall Bethesda buying rights for Fallout, but leaving out MMORPG part, because they thought francise is not going be THAT popular when they release it.

FOOL seems like a dead project, if you ask me. When Interplay announced for stock markets, they zero amount of money in their whole budget for businness.

Flamingtaco

Its complicated. Im pretty sure the only way the were able to get the rights was by letting them make an MMO but now times up so Bethesda says they cant make it anymore. With the legal debate going on, they might mot even be bothering with development anymore.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts