Moving BACK to Whiterun? Or...?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
I'm at honeyside currently, it has it's perks. More storage, an enchanting table, maniquins. Also I have restored the TG fully so there 5 ppl to sell to in the ragged flagon with min 8000 gold each day... But, no smelter in Riften and distance to sellers is a bloody pain. I quite liked breezehome's location to the smithy next door, was super handy! Just running up to dragon reach to use the enchanting table sucked. What should I do? Move back? Or is there a better option in Skyrim? I can't be bothered having smithing/sellers very far from my home.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
I'm at honeyside currently, it has it's perks. More storage, an enchanting table, maniquins. Also I have restored the TG fully so there 5 ppl to sell to in the ragged flagon with min 8000 gold each day... But, no smelter in Riften and distance to sellers is a bloody pain. I quite liked breezehome's location to the smithy next door, was super handy! Just running up to dragon reach to use the enchanting table sucked. What should I do? Move back? Or is there a better option in Skyrim? I can't be bothered having smithing/sellers very far from my home.

If I were you, I'd stick with honeyside. I actually moved TO Riften FROM Whiterun because of the numerous merchants and their insane buying power. Granted, Whiterun is a great city from an architectural point of view, and you can't beat the convenience of having a full smithing station, 2 blacksmiths & a fletcher right outside your door, plus a potion merchant and general goods vendor right down the street. Oh, and of course there's the third blacksmith at the Skyforge and the Jarl's court wizard who buys and sells magical goods. With all that said, I'd still choose Riften. The only gripe I have with that city is the lack of a smelter, as you said, but there's one in Shor's Stone, which is only a few whirlwind sprints away. But man, the merchants! If you don't get Brand-Shei incarcerated, you have 3 general goods merchants right in the main market square, 1 jewel vendor with much more gold than his counterpart in Whiterun, 1 blacksmith, 1 alchemist's shop down in the lower walkway, the Jarl's court wizard in the keep right across the marketplace, and up to 4 additional merchants down in the thieves guild with insane amounts of gold to spend on your goods, stolen or not. That, and honeyside does have pretty good storage options and an enchanting table, which breezehome lacks.

Nakatsu_Hime

Riften smells funny. Apart from this irritating little child that runs about in Whiterun (one dark night, he's gonna mysteriously disappear - just wait and see), it's not such a bad little hamlet.

Plus, the climate's a bit more temperate than some places I've been forced to trek through, and the beer's good.

Sweet Rolls

True Nord 4 lyf yo
Vlindrel Hall, the house available in Markarth might be good for your needs. It has mannequins, enchanting and alchemy, all that. Plus there's a smelter and two blacksmiths, they aren't very close to the house but they're a short walk away. There are mines nearby too outside the city but I've never been in them.

Proudspire Manor the house in Solitude is similar but there's no smelter there. Hjerim in Windhelm is the best for an armoury or displaying special weapons. Breezehome is very homely and humble. Honeyside is too but it's get extra features which makes it a bit better.

My house in Solitude is my current base of operation because it's a nice setting and there's a Fletcher and Blacksmith nearby and the house has everything I need. I would live in Windhelm for the huge armoury but I hate the look of it and the graphics in the house seem to be lower quality than anywhere else in the game.

If I were you I'd probably live in Riften since the house has enchanting and lots of cool things, it's homely too. The city itself has fences down in the Thieves Guild, a decent shop and smith. The only downside is the smelter but you could just fast travel, ride or Shout your way there. :)

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
I love Hjerim. That is all

I do too, but that's because I tend to play Stormcloaks and hardly ever need to smelt. But Honeyside's a fine house too, and I believe it suits your needs better than Breezehome.

Do you have the "Merchant" perk? (Speech tree, requires 50 speechcraft.) If so, you can sell anything (that isn't stolen) to all the merchants of Riften, including those up top convenient to Honeyside. If you have the Fence perk as well (70 speechcraft), remove the parenthetical "(that isn't stolen)". If you don't, the speech leveling exploit (if you want to go that route) is in Riften.

It may depend on how important smithing is to you relative to selling loot and enchanting. How frequently do you need to smelt ore compared to how frequently you need to sell or enchant?

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
I just really like the layout of the house. I've never bought Honeyside or leveled in speachcraft. I'm working on a Dark Elf now and plan on spending quite a bit of time in Riften.

stagnant94

Hjerim, its pretty close to the smelter and market, loads of storage space and a nice house as well.
i'd also recommend vlindrel hall

Necromis

Honestly, if the only issue is a smelter, cuz both have plenty of merchants, I would not worry about moving back. Why? Because the smelter/blacksmith at whiterun is one quicktravel away when you step outside your door at honeyside. Realistically, this is true for all houses you can get. So forget about what is in the town when it comes to the house, look at the house compared to other houses. Because any town is one quicktravel away. I have gone from whiterun to riften to solitude in sucession just to pawn off all my stored sellable items.

Zoa Two Tails

Cloak and Dagger Artist
Something I like is the vastness of proudshire manor even though it costs quite alot and I am still a painful 15000 gold away from buying it on my current playthrough...

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
It sounds like you need to weigh how often you need to use a Smelter as opposed to how often you need to use an Arcane Enchanter. The trek up to Dragonsreach really is not a big deal (and you can fast travel there) compared to the trek to Redbelly Mine, which is the closest Smelter to Riften.

Dagmar

Dagmar, the smelter is not a big deal either, as it is one fast travel to whiterun, too.
It is if you care about game time elapsing. I do which is why I live in Breezehome instead of Honeyside. It cuts down significantly in terms of number of game days elapsing to do things in general.

Necromis

Well true, in game time would be a reason, but real time would be no difference.

Dagmar

It's also a big deal if you don't use fast travel. I inferred that Su8tle doesn't because he refers to running to Dragonsreach from Breezehome.

The Fallen Hero

Master Assassin; Hybrid
Hjerim is by far the best house in Skyrim. Get either that house or Vlindrel Hall. They have everything that you need to suit you enchanting and smithing needs.

skyrimaddict1323

Dovahkiin1323
If you're on PC (which i'm guessing you are judging by the lightsabers) there are tons of mods to improve breezehome and whiterun as a whole. I use these and i LOVE whiterun now

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Nah mate. I'm on 360.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts