• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

TheQuietCommentatorUTube

Busy Being A Boss
None of my past builds have lasted very long... what is a build that will continue to be fun for as long as possible? I am getting pretty desperate for a new build, something I haven't seen before. Although I might have seen it all :)

Benthos

Proud Mer
Sneak gets most use from leveling it up, you get boosts in pickpocket, lockpicking, sneak attacks by one-handed, sneak attacks by archery, and you can get away with most. But the most versatile build varies from person to person because it's a personal choice. Do you like up close and personal fights? Go orc, do you like to trash the magicka based users? Go Breton or Nord, do you like treasure hunting? Go Imperial or Argonian. If it's the sneakiest characters, go Wood Elf, Argonian, or Khajit. Khajit can see at night and can be best utilized at night in the open fields while Argonians are best around water when sneaking, escaping, and exploring. You can also sell all water breathing and disease resistant potions and enchanted items if you're Argonian which can get you a pretty penny from time to time but if it's gold you want/need, then go Imperial because they find more gold and jewelry in their search through containers.

Sarcron

I've used the same build for 3 characters, because I find it to be the only truly fun and versatile one:

For combat: Archery/one handed/block/heavy armor

Non-combat: Pickpocket, sneak, lock picking, speech.

Skill: Enchanting, smithing, and alchemy.

Put most points on Stamina, then health, then magic. You can change around your perks a bit but I tend to keep to a general theme of them. I don't use magic really all that much, and when I do, there's enough boosters/fortify magic methods to ensure you can cast the best spells while having a tiny magic reserve. That set up makes use of the best parts of skills, some fun stuff in non-combat, and archery/one handed/block/heavy armor to deal with any threats the most efficiently. Add in the various shouts and powers you can use and you don't really need to use the underpowered magic abilities.

Hard to know what you have already tried, I am working on a character using no magic, enchanted items, potions, fast travel, or training books. So, he relies on improving skills solely by practice. The only concessions are being allowed to use shrines to cure diseases and vampirism. It plays quite differently since you are limited in which quests you can tackle, but he has turned out to be surprisingly powerful, and fun.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Try an ultra-realistic survivalist build. A nord or elf ranger. Master difficulty from the start. No fast travel. No cheats or exploits. Live off the land (you cannot buy houses in holds, and you must find a shack in the wilderness to call home and stash your extra gear). Sleep at least 5 or 6 hours a day. Eat at least one good meal a day, etc, etc....

There was a thread for doing an ultra realistic play-through in the forums but I'm too lazy to go and find it right now.

For versatility, I usually go with a Spellblade (Not necessarily a Sword.) You've got ranged, and close quarters covered, without switching, and the magic goes right through armor. I feel your ennui, I've stopped playing for a couple months, hopefully the new Dragonborn DLC will hold interest until TES:O comes.

Redguard, Skyforge Steel Handaxe, Destruction, and Alteration. Unarmored for mobility, I don't hang around in the melee', but run around it, and use Critical Charge to quick strike, then usually Wuld back out to continue pumping them with Firebolts, or whatever. Eventually an Ebony Handaxe, when I kill the right DDL, I like the Hack&Slash perks to keep the DoT going while I circle around for another attack. Critical Charge runs down your Stamina while your Magicka recovers, so definitely Archmage's robes, or Masters' of Destruction. Maybe Nahkriin too, try not to get hit enough to earn Armor XP, or Morokei since it doesn't interfere with Mage Armor. Atronach Stone is real handy too, especially stacked with the Perk. I don't go any higher than Ebonyflesh, because that means having to re-draw my axe, and it lasts at most 45 seconds (With stability.)

Try not to get too OP, I find it gets boring a lot faster without a challenge, nor any hope of being killed. Also, the variety of spells, attacts, and battle tactics make this less repetitive than standing there, and slugging away with a tank.

Rafter75

It all comes down to play style and what you enjoy. My favorite build so far has been a mage assassin focused on sneak, illusion and archery. Archery never gets old for me because there is a certain satisfaction that comes from getting better and better at it. Nothing better than hitting a moving target a long way off and rolling up on the corpse to see that arrow shaft planted right between the eyes. Nice shot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Twiffle

I agree with most of the statements in this post, it is what your playstyle is and your personal preferences to how you want to play the game, My best playthrough was a mage using Illusion, conj and alteration didnt use any form of offensive destro or melee during the whole game, even dragons taken down by my minnions without me even gettin out of breath, just sit back, relax and count out the gold when its over, :D

The build that's lasted the longest for me still being fun is Dreadfall. 2 handed, Sneak, Block, not much else. There's no damage multipying perk in sneak for 2 handed, so she never gets ovepowered. Silent Roll>Great Critical Charge for he signature combo, then Hack&Bash when it turns into a stand up fight. Yet again, it depends on what you like to play, but she turned out to be the most balanced, neither over, nor under powered, and a fun challenge throughout.

Stigweard Ruadhan

Jeg er stolt. Jeg er sterk.
I have had few builds as I invest a great deal of role play into them...

I've maintained a hulking Nord with a greatsword and a shield, brute strength and a moody demeanour.

Other than that, I've had a Redguard assassin with phenomenal archery skills and equipment. Stealth and adapted Nightingale "Wanderer" armour.

I'm very, very tempted to start another now that I have Dawnguard. Something sinister, arcane and silent...

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

The longest lasting fun I've had was with my sneak mage, who utilized Destruction, Conjuration, Restoration, Alteration, Illusion, Enchanting, and Sneak. what made it so enjoyable was having many methods of confronting any combat situation.

I could do some old fashioned destruction spamming if I wanted some mindless mayhem, or I could cast calm on a large group, followed by invisibility and sneaking out quietly. If I wanted to dominate the situation, I could cast calm, then mass paralysis, then summon two Dremora lords and let them beat up my fallen foes.

It was a pretty flexible build, and it took a lot of perks, which is good because part of the fun in Skyrim is the buildup.

Mwhals

The longest lasting fun I've had was with my sneak mage, who utilized Destruction, Conjuration, Restoration, Alteration, Illusion, Enchanting, and Sneak. what made it so enjoyable was having many methods of confronting any combat situation.

I could do some old fashioned destruction spamming if I wanted some mindless mayhem, or I could cast calm on a large group, followed by invisibility and sneaking out quietly. If I wanted to dominate the situation, I could cast calm, then mass paralysis, then summon two Dremora lords and let them beat up my fallen foes.

It was a pretty flexible build, and it took a lot of perks, which is good because part of the fun in Skyrim is the buildup.

I would love to see your perk tree for this build.

Monkeyzero

Try an ultra-realistic survivalist build. A nord or elf ranger. Master difficulty from the start. No fast travel. No cheats or exploits. Live off the land (you cannot buy houses in holds, and you must find a shack in the wilderness to call home and stash your extra gear). Sleep at least 5 or 6 hours a day. Eat at least one good meal a day, etc, etc....

There was a thread for doing an ultra realistic play-through in the forums but I'm too lazy to go and find it right now.
This. The first few hours can be quite hairy. Its a really fun challenge though.

Sent from The Nether

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts