Most Pleasant and Annoying places - in Skyrim

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Radia964

Since I'm pretty new at it - (level 21 - Wood Elf). I've really only been doing things in 3 cities/towns in Skyrim...Whiterun, Riften, Windhelm...Whiterun, I find pleasant, and interesting. Everybody there, seems to have some cool folkloric and sometimes funny stories...
Then, recently I have been in Riften. And it seems like that whole town is - Uptight, and a little rude, and needs some serious therapies (of whatever sort). - I haven't spent enough time in Windhelm

I'm asking an opinion, on what you think is the most cool and interesting cities in Skyrim ?
Pick one or two

Reactions: Sah

JoeReese

I find the center of the Wind district in Whiterun to be very relaxing. The gentle water, the benches, the sun, the relative lack of monsters. I can even block out the Talos monk. o_O

Also, the view from the patio in Solitude is pretty nice, would be a nice place for a relaxing goblet of coffee in the mornings.

Bipolar Nord

Just another fanatical gamer
Then, recently I have been in Riften. And it seems like that whole town is - Uptight, and a little rude, and needs some serious therapies (of whatever sort). - I haven't spent enough time in Windhelm

Riften is a pl*pshole to be honest. I'm not going to spoil anything for you, but if you play the game long enough, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Do you get to the Cloud District very often? Oh, what am I saying, of course you don't.:p

Writes-Many-Posts

Champion of Grottos and Gremlins
Apocrypha is pretty damn relaxing (if you mean Skyrim the game, not the province). I don't know but... if you get your hands on a Black Book, it doesn't matter where you come from, how you look, how many people are after you for doing something without a saved file to bail you out, you go there. To that place made of wooden books (swing a weapon against the walls and they make wooden sounds, unless my game is broken), the summit of knowledge, alone. All this time you were given orders like a dog all day, but here? Here you do it if you want. There is no "Do it for me" nor "Do it or we all die!". This is purely yourself (except the quest related ones), and you can enjoy every last bit of it. (Seriously though, Seekers and Lurkers are a huge pain to kill and feel super beefy no matter what weapon I use against them)

Shadowkitty mentioned two of my favorites too, and those require no DLC.

Then comes the Hall of Valor. I won't ruin it for you buddy! The glory, the music in it and the scene in general. Its so epic I sometimes don't feel like finishing the main quest.

Amapola

The most annoying place so far for me is the Soul Cairn (Dawnguard main quest)... I was so glad to be out again!

The cities I like most are Markarth and Riften. I like the special atmospheres of both. Ah well and Solitude is the one with the most beautiful scenery of course.

-----------mobil

Wildroses

If you haven't done the Namira's Ring quest, The Forsworn Conspiracy and House of Horrors, all of which start in Markarth, don't read this.

If it wasn't for all the people in Markarth, it would win hands down as my favourite city as the place is gorgeous visually and I love Vlindrel Hall. It's just I can't bear living there because of all the people. The Silver-Bloods live there, the people who aren't secret Forsworn agents are secret cannibals, and even if you went on a rampage to kill all the people you hate, you'd still be stuck with having the Daedric Lord of Domination and King of Rape as a neighbour. So yeah, mixed feelings about Markarth.

I think Whiterun is my favourite as I love the open, sunny, nature of the place. Okay, Nazeem, Braith and Heimskr, live there, but unlike Markarth there are a lot of nice NPCs there as well so it isn't so bad.

I quite like Dawnstar. The NPCs have more of a sense of a full working community who have lots of individual interactions rather than individuals doing their own thing like in the rest of the towns. Plus it is one of the towns you don't have to feel guilty about joining the Imperials for as Brina is SO much better than Skald as Jarl.

conchvegas

Aravis, deadly archer
I really don't like Markarth. I've tried walking there many times and have yet to arrive without fast traveling after I get lost...again. There and Winterhold. Both are long treks and Winterhold doesn't have a carriage waiting either so it's always a long walk out through Skyrim's version of the Arctic. Back to Markarth, there are too many staircases and it's like a maze trying to find your way around. The views are great though. My favorite cities are Whiterun, the weather is generally nice except when it's raining and it has that peaceful village feel to it. I also like Solitude, just because of its size and grandeur.

Al'Tair

This sentence is false
In terms of looks and ambience, Whiterun is probably the most "pleasant" place. However, it seems like 70% of the game's most mind-numbingly annoying NPCs are there - Nazeem, Braith, Belethor, Olfrid Battle-Born, Sigurd, Mikael, Mila Valentia, Heimskr, Jarl Balgruuf's kids, GODS MAKE IT STOP. Believe me, Whiterun gets a lot more "pleasant" when you murder everyone that previously resided in there.
So I'd go with Solitude myself. There are annoying NPCs there too (Taarie and Endaarie, anyone? Not to mention the damn kid who says he thought "adventurers were supposed to look tough"... damn little brat), but a lot less, and since the city's bigger, it's easier to avoid them.
As for the others:
-Riften and Windhelm look nice, but their atmosphere is too cold and hostile for me to consider them "pleasant."
-Winterhold feels... dead, pretty much. Dead and empty.
-Falkreath would be pleasant if it weren't for the huge graveyard, which makes it feel like the Grim Reaper is just around the corner, casually drinking mead.
-Morthal is okay. Would be pleasant if it weren't for the burnt-down house, the ghosts and the vampires. I feel like their shadows are always looming over the town, even after you finish the quest, especially with the necromancer who lives there. I know he's harmless, but still... Plus, the Jarl is kind of a crazy old "seer", correct me if I'm wrong? It all makes Morthal seem creepier than it should, IMO.
-Dawnstar is pleasant, but I don't really like its layout. I'm too dumb for it, so it confuses the hell out of me and I always end up getting lost in the town. Yes, I am serious. What can I do? *shrug*
-One little place I always liked was Ivarstead.
-Markarth looks nice, and feels nice as well until you learn about its background; after that, it starts to feel colder and more hostile. However, I still find it a lot more pleasant than both Riften and Windhelm.
-Raven Rock, for me, has the same, for lack of a better word, "issue" as Riften, Windhelm and Markarth: it is too hostile. I can't really consider it pleasant at all.
-Riverwood is pretty nice as well. There is Ralof's annoying bratty nephew, Frodnar, but he can be ignored as well. At least he's ONE annoying NPC as opposed to 10+.

I'm not sure if I'm forgetting anything, but for what I can recall, there it is.

conchvegas

Aravis, deadly archer
-Riverwood is pretty nice as well. There is Ralof's annoying bratty nephew, Frodnar, but he can be ignored as well. At least he's ONE annoying NPC as opposed to 10+.

I'm not sure if I'm forgetting anything, but for what I can recall, there it is.
Yeah, Riverwood is nice, just too small.

T. Rakinson

A Brute among Beasts
I kill the Altmer tailors in Solitude after it gets captured by men in blue... You can get away with any crimes for a time, as they are slow to install guards. I always do The Argonians quest too, just to get rid of him (he always teams up with the authorities, and is essential).
After that, the city is brilliant.

I went up to the Dragonsreach balcony once, and sniped Nazeem. Oh, the irony!

My favourite city though? It has to be Windhelm. Not the nicest of places, but being the centre of the rebellion and all the racial conflict going on allows me to really immerse myself in the game.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
I find Markarth to be a fascinating city and Vlindral Hall is a great little place to get some sleep. Otherwise I like the little towns: Rorikstead, Ivarstead, Dragonbridge. When I want to clear my head, I don't go to towns. I go to the wilderness. Sometimes the music stops and all you hear is the wind in the trees and the birds.

Brofski

I don't mind Riften... If anything, it feels like more of an actual city. People interact a lot more with each other than elsewhere (not the province ;)).

honestly, I think Raven Rock is my favourite. Just something about it I really enjoy.

I can't stand Winterhold. Constant blizzard there does my head in.

Bipolar Nord

Just another fanatical gamer
Every city and little town in Skyrim has at least one annoying NPC, some more than others. I remember one of my many characters was a Breton Archer/Mage, he purchased land in Falkreath to build a house. Well I went into the Gray Pine Goods to get some stuff for the house. As soon as I enter the place, Bolund says....

"I can't believe we let provincials like you wander Skyrim."

I'm like.... What!!.... What did you just call me! Oh no, you ain't going to get away with saying that to me. I exited the building and the rage started!

Kaelbu

I think Riverwood, Ivarstead and Whitetrun could most easily be described as "pleasant". Pretty weather, scenic surroundings, a calm air about them.

Windhelm isn't exactly pleasant (racism, murder, vision-distorting snowfall) but I like it. It has a lot of history, and the architecture (although sometimes claustrophobic and cold) is pretty different and adds to the historic atmosphere.

Markarth would be pleasant with its interesting layout and Dwemer architecture, if it weren't for the unpleasant subject matter of the quests someone already mentioned. And the roaring waterfalls. So loud.

The Hall of Valor is pretty awesome. And to step outside and look up at the sky... :)

But if I could live in any preexisting place in Skyrim, I'd choose Jorvaskr. Not a town, but my opinion is that it's pleasant!

Al'Tair

This sentence is false

Yeah, Riverwood is nice, just too small.
IKR, it is just one road, literally. I'm pretty sure Armadillo from Red Dead Redemption was bigger, and that was ALSO just one road.

Al'Tair

This sentence is false
Every city and little town in Skyrim has at least one annoying NPC, some more than others. I remember one of my many characters was a Breton Archer/Mage, he purchased land in Falkreath to build a house. Well I went into the Gray Pine Goods to get some stuff for the house. As soon as I enter the place, Bolund says....

"I can't believe we let provincials like you wander Skyrim."

I'm like.... What!!.... What did you just call me! Oh no, you ain't going to get away with saying that to me. I exited the building and the rage started!
Oh, I know how you feel. Just today, earlier, I was playing my Redguard mercenary, who was dressed in full Hammerfell garb, and a petty guard looks at me and says, to my face: "As if Skyrim didn't have enough outsiders. Now we got mercenaries from Hammerfell struttin' about..." Really?? The only reason I didn't stuff my "CURVED. SWORD." up his backside was because my level was too low, seeing as I created this character today... what a f***ing bastard...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts