• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Watermelon

I've lately become very curious as to what the most played builds of Skyrim are.
I see a lot of basic sword + shield warriors around, and a lot of stealth archers/assassins.
What type of build does your character have? If you've played multiple games, what perk tree do you use most?
What type of build/class do you think is most popular?
What's your favorite armor type (heavy, light, alteration magic)?

It's interesting to see that I couldn't find any other thread like this when I Googled. I figured someone would have asked!
Anyways, my favorite playstyle so far is unarmed combat, even though I haven't ever developed a character past 30 with fists as their main weapon. I also do enjoy the sneak+bow combo for awhile, but it gets boring real fast.

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
All types of builds I've done (I use sneak in every single one):

1. Assassin/thief with either archery, dual wield, or once handed. Light armor. (High Elf)
2. Pure all rounder mage. Uses all schools of magic. Wears clothes and uses Alteration for armor. (High Elf)
3. Strictly uses only archery character. (Wood Elf)
4. Another mage, except I use light armor this time, and she is very evil. (High Elf)
5. Warrior with one handed and shield, although he does use sneak. (Kahjiit, sorry for spelling)
6. Vampire mage.

Those are my main ones that I've actually stuck with. The rest I didn't bother saying because it would be way to many and I didn't reach past level 15 or 20. My favorite build is assassin/thief that uses archery mainly with light armor and sneak. Uses smithing and enchanting.

Perk trees I've used most: Sneak, Light armor, archery, one handed, smithing, and enchanting.

I think the most common type of build, from what I've seen, is indeed thief/assassion. Second would be armored mage or pure mage or warrior. I've seen people be purely illusionist and those kinds of builds, but not very common from what I've noticed.

My favorite type of armor? Well, Light armor is my favorite armor class, however Daedric armor is mainly my favorite, which is Heavy Armor. But my favorite is Light Armor because from the get go you use less stamina, easier to sneak, etc. Now while you can eventually get a perk, when you have level 70 heavy armor, you can erase all of the negative effects of heavy armor. But the damn thing is on 70! Takes forever, unless you do the whole mudcrab thing. For Light Armor, my favorite is Ancient Shrouded DB armor, Nightingale Armor, and occasionally Glass Armor.

I liked this thread, pretty interesting :D

LuChao

The Martial artist
I have done everything from blade masters to thief assassins to unusual builds like a wandering Khajiit merchant

Twiffle

Im a bit of an outcast i think in the way i build my characters, i have in the past done the generic ones, High Elf mage, wood elf archer, kahjit thief, orc/nord warrior etc etc, and i suppose either the sneak build or warrior would probably take the award for most used archetypical build, but as i said about my style is a little outcast for example i have an Orc who is a master mage, an Imperial sneak thief, i have a Breton who is a legendary Archer and a High elf who wields heavy armor and Volendrung and a few others as well, so in answer i think sneaky type would be the most common, but not in my save list, , , :D

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
What type of build does your character have? If you've played multiple games, what perk tree do you use most?
What type of build/class do you think is most popular?
What's your favorite armor type (heavy, light, alteration magic)?

In all the time I've been playing, I've never really thought much about my builds. I kind of play by the seat of my pants. No matter how much I want to follow a certain build, it ends up getting corrupted somehow. But the general tendency is toward thief/assassin unless I have something specific I want to do. I had one that was a non-combatant. He wasn't allowed to physically attack or use destruction magic. Another was an Alchemist. She just wandered around gathering ingredients, making potions, and selling them. So exciting!

My all-time favorite tree is, without a doubt, Sneak. Moving without being detected is how I like to be. Also because critical hit. Death from the shadows, whether by arrow (preferably) or dagger. It's SO satisfying one-shotting something.

Most popular? I don't even want to guess. There's just too many different ways to play and everyone has their own style. I do think stealthy builds are probably high on the list.

I prefer light armor but I tend to play stealthy characters. When I want to go ape in someone's face with a warrior then heavy is better and of course my mages like just wearing robes.

Vaga8ond

Archery is my favorite (ranger type build) - Wood elf or Redguard
Mage is my second fav using only one school of magic usually either fire or electricity - Breton
Spellsword or battlemage - High elf (think they look the best in heavy armor due to their size)

I prefer either light armor or cloth due to mobility as I prefer to kite than to be strait melee. Alteration and restoration is a must for most builds but if I don't go that route I will go the alchemy route if low magica is desired.

Gigapact

Spellsword or battlemage - High elf (think they look the best in heavy armor due to their size).

That's what I've said! I think High Elves also look best in heavy armor. Let's see.... a tiny Breton in heavy armor or a towering High Elf in heavy armor? My pick is that the elf looks much more intimidating.

:) Bretons are just way to small for me, as are some other races, after playing a few High Elves.

Vaga8ond

Spellsword or battlemage - High elf (think they look the best in heavy armor due to their size).

That's what I've said! I think High Elves also look best in heavy armor. Let's see.... a tiny Breton in heavy armor or a towering High Elf in heavy armor? My pick is that the elf looks much more intimidating.

:) Bretons are just way to small for me, as are some other races, after playing a few High Elves.

It's funny I never realized how small wood elves were until I stood next to some of the NPC's, my male Bosmer was smaller than a female nord. Its crazy how you can play a game for so long and just now pick up on some of the subtleties within it. Generally I like smaller more petite races tho maybe it's the fact that I always cheer for the underdog, i dunno.

Gigapact

It's funny I never realized how small wood elves were until I stood next to some of the NPC's, my male Bosmer was smaller than a female nord. Its crazy how you can play a game for so long and just now pick up on some of the subtleties within it. Generally I like smaller more petite races tho maybe it's the fact that I always cheer for the underdog, i dunno.

I get what you're saying. But the first time I ever played a Breton, male, I couldn't take it. I was in my heavy armor and trying to be all tough, but everyone, and I mean everyone, towered over me, making me feel so small and pathetic. I think Bretons are the shortest race though. I remember when I saw that Breton at the College of Winterhold (the girl that gives you a tour) I thought something was wrong with her, turns out they're just that short.

Wood Elves are shorter, but at least not the shortest. I like their being petite, as I think it suits a stealth character, so I don't mind as much. I think Orcs are the second tallest after High Elves.

Vaga8ond

I get what you're saying. But the first time I ever played a Breton, male, I couldn't take it. I was in my heavy armor and trying to be all tough, but everyone, and I mean everyone, towered over me, making me feel so small and pathetic. I think Bretons are the shortest race though. I remember when I saw that Breton at the College of Winterhold (the girl that gives you a tour) I thought something was wrong with her, turns out they're just that short.

Wood Elves are shorter, but at least not the shortest. I like their being petite, as I think it suits a stealth character, so I don't mind as much. I think Orcs are the second tallest after High Elves.

Yeah I get it as I never put a Breton or Wood elf in Heavy armor either on the other hand it's hard for me to put an orc or high elf in cloth because of the size as well.

Ruinel

Defender of Derp
No matter how hard I try, I always end up dual wielding one-handed weapons. I recently created a new character and I tried making her a destruction mage, only because I always play as a High Elf. I used to be more of a Seyan'Du (please escuse the Astonia terminology), using both a sword and destruction magic. But I soon found out that dual wielding was much more effective. I also took a liking to archery.
These days I like sneaking around, weakening my enemies until I'm discovered, then going full throttle into battle with swords and such.

I normally play as a thief/assassin build. I favor the bow, but here lately I have been playing as a melee warrior...loving it, the 2h skill is full on beast mode...:)

It's interesting to see that I couldn't find any other thread like this when I Googled. I figured someone would have asked!
Anyways, my favorite playstyle so far is unarmed combat, even though I haven't ever developed a character past 30 with fists as their main weapon. I also do enjoy the sneak+bow combo for awhile, but it gets boring real fast.[/quote]

Nephor The Shadow Stalker

Strike swiftly and silently.
Pure hybrid. My brothers do the warrior thing and it's always been so boring to me. Don't get me wrong I love a good swordfight but doing just that throughout a game with complete freedom seems lack luster and uninspired. I prefer a more crafty and flexible build. I always have an ace up my sleeve.:)

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
1) Nord Female spellsword/vampire without a doubt - one handed/light/destruction/illusion/conjuration/enchanting/smithing
2) Nord Male warrior/Companion/Werewolf - two handed/heavy/enchanting/smithing

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
You should see the Wood elves in Oblivion. They're like gnomes, I thought it was a child before I remembered Oblivion doesn't have kids.

GrumpyBadger

Article Writer
I have three "main" builds I guess you could say:
1) "Paladin" - greatsword or sword and shield, heavy armor, smithing, enchanting, restoration, illusion
2) "Demonhunter" - archery, alchemy, destruction, heavy armor, illusion, smithing, restoration
3) "Battlemage" - destruction, illusion, conjuration, restoration, heavy armor, enchanting

to put it plainly, they're trials of patience. In the beginning, say until level 30, they definitely feel "wrong" where there just aren't enough perks in anything to do any good. At about level 50, they've come into their own, and by level 60, they truly start to shine.

My Paladin Broc, who fights for the Imperials, is now like level 108 or something like that. He's now learning alteration, just to help out with his werewolf stats, and why not? He's got the perks to spare.

My Battlemage Morgynna, is a tank at the moment, at level 45. She can take a huge amount of damage, but she's not exactly great at dealing it out herself.

My "Demonhunter" Qa'Bar, is level 20ish. Right now, he's completing the Imperial Questline, and is strictly a "recon archer" where the only points have been in archery and alchemy. If someone touches him, it hurts

as a side note... I know all my characters have "heavy armor" stated. However, for my Paladin in the beginning, he wore light armor (it went all the way up to 70). It was awesome to move fast with a greatsword. He started actually with sword and shield until he picked up an ancient nord sword... I practice with a claidheamh mòr myself, and I couldn't help but fall in love with the massive sword with angled quillions.

Qa'Bar is in light armor right now as well for roleplay purposes - once he learns "muffle" while at the college, he gets to enjoy the best of both worlds!

I like moving in light armor in the beginning, but as the levels increase - I can't stand how light armor begins to look. There desperately needed to be more options than "nightingale" and "elven" as the levels increase.

My all time favorite tree? Guess I'm a Zenithar man... it's gotta be a combination of Smithing and Enchanting. ;) Gotta pay the bills somehow

Panda Rawrlord

Herald of Panda-Monium
1. "Blind" Summoner - One-handed, Conjuration, Heavy Armor, Alteration, Archery

2. Argonian Spellsword - Destruction, Light Armor, One-handed, Enchanting, Smithing

3. Werewolf - Archery

GrumpyBadger

Article Writer
Panda I gotta ask :D - what's a "'blind' summoner?" :D

AS88

Staff member
I like moving in light armor in the beginning, but as the levels increase - I can't stand how light armor begins to look. There desperately needed to be more options than "nightingale" and "elven" as the levels increase.
Don't you like the light Dawnguard stuff? :)

IMAG01891_zpsc796adc6.jpg

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts