• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
My Elder Scrolls experience started with Oblivion, about two years ago. I never played it very often. I thought it was a decent game, but I never really knew what to do or how much I could explore at that point. When I heard that there was a sequel coming out, I couldn't resist it. I got Skyrim December 2011. Its amazing graphics, gameplay, and leveling system amazed me. I LOVED just traveling in the wilds and hunting down deer. I realized that I could do that stuff in Oblivion, too. That's when I discovered that it wasn't just Skyrim that had such amazing open-worldness... It was the whole Elder Scrolls series! As I play these games today, I feel bored and trapped, like I have nothing new to do and nowhere new to go. I want to see more of the Elder Scrolls series. The graphics in Daggerfall and Arena are just UNBEARABLE, but Morrowind... it doesn't seem to bad. I've always wanted to see more of the Dunmer and the red mountain.

So, should I buy Morrowind GOTY edition? If so, where's the best place to get it? Aslo, I would like some more convincing of why I should get it, because I'm still kind of "ehh" about it

TL;DR: I played and liked Oblivion and Skyrim, and I want more from the Elder Scrolls. Should I get Morrowind: GOTY?

Jei El

We will be avenged.
Buy it, with the Bloodmoon DLC you can go to Solstheim ( Plot place of DragonBorn!) That and it's just so fun, not so great graphics but pretty fun.

The graphics seem pretty decent, and pretty beautiful compared to those of Arena.

Jei El

We will be avenged.
Arena's graphics were just horrible. Morrowind was made in the 2000s so for the time period pretty great.

Gowsh

Old Fart
Because there's no quest pointer in Morrowind, there's a lot more think/search time.

If that's in your wheelhouse (like me), you'll have a wonderful time. I play on the Xbox, so my graphics pretty much blow. I understand that's fixable on the PC.

I'm still having a great time playing it for the first time.

Because there's no quest pointer in Morrowind, there's a lot more think/search time.
Oh, that's going to be fun.

Now, does anyone know a good place where I could get Morrowind: GOTY Edition (all DLC included) For PC or preferably Xbox?

Gowsh

Old Fart
Now, does anyone know a good place where I could get Morrowind: GOTY Edition (all DLC included) For PC or preferably Xbox?

I got it for Xbox from Glyde.

There was a minor problem with the order. The seller had sold his "excellent" condition copy that I'd paid for, so the one I got was lightly used. The seller included $6 in the box to compensate. I've been satisfied with the transaction.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Okay Buff, I just got Morrowind, and holy crap I'm ADDICTED (you've seen the album lol). I got mine through Steam, GOTY is currently on sale for $12 as a matter of fact.

Although I will agree, the whole "we're not gonna mark where you need to go on your map" thing is a little frustrating...I would recommend getting a map of Vvardenfel. The nice thing is though, the journal is awfully descriptive...

Saozig

Hippy
Okay Buff, I just got Morrowind, and holy crap I'm ADDICTED (you've seen the album lol). I got mine through Steam, GOTY is currently on sale for $12 as a matter of fact.

Although I will agree, the whole "we're not gonna mark where you need to go on your map" thing is a little frustrating...I would recommend getting a map of Vvardenfel. The nice thing is though, the journal is awfully descriptive...

$12 is a very tempting price. A question about Stream: when you buy games through them, are they playable outside of the Stream application, like a regular game download, or do you need the Stream application to play them after you've purchased and downloaded them?

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
$12 is a very tempting price. A question about Stream: when you buy games through them, are they playable outside of the Stream application, like a regular game download, or do you need the Stream application to play them after you've purchased and downloaded them?
They are playable outside steam as far as I know, I mean they did ask if I wanted desktop shortcuts created....granted, I also downloaded them through the Steam application as well, and I always launch through Steam so I honestly don't know lol.

Glad you liked the screenshots though, I had WAY too much fun doing that this afternoon LOL....wound up getting totally distracted haha.

Saozig

Hippy
They are playable outside steam as far as I know, I mean they did ask if I wanted desktop shortcuts created....granted, I also downloaded them through the Steam application as well, and I always launch through Steam so I honestly don't know lol.

Glad you liked the screenshots though, I had WAY too much fun doing that this afternoon LOL....wound up getting totally distracted haha.
Thanks. I think I'll probably just go ahead and get the CD-ROM version with my Xmas gift cards. Will have a wait longer for it, which is probably a good thing. if i downloaded it tonight, I'd probably be playing until sunrise, and I'm still pretty sick and need to get some sleep. :p

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
I actually love that Morrowind lacked quest pointers and all of that. The newer games are too 'hold my hand' like now. :p

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Yeah, I'm super insecure, I need my hand to be held or I get so lost and confused lol

Haha, well it wasn't just that. It also promoted exploration instead of eyeballing the quest pointer all the time. Anyway, all in all, Morrowind remains my favorite of TES serious, closely followed by Daggerfall. :3

Saozig

Hippy

LaSposaCadavere

As for graphic in Arena and Daggerfall... I don't normally have a problem with graphic in old games, but it can be hard going from beautiful worlds in Morrowind, Oblivion (sort of) and Skyrim to a world whose beauty is very limited by oldschool graphics. That said, I definitely don't think they're worth missing on, especially Daggerfall.

I loved Morrowind. The lack of quest pointers required a bit of patience (and I don't have that much of it) and I thought that guild quests could have been better, but the main quest, lore and exploring the world itself were totally worth it.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Well, what Daggerfall lacks in graphics (now) it makes up for in more varied options and RP opportunities. I highly suggest to everyone to try at least each TES game once. You won't regret it. And if you do, I hates you! :p

KaitoGhost

Sea Sponge First Mate
I actually love that Morrowind lacked quest pointers and all of that. The newer games are too 'hold my hand' like now. :p

Not only that, but you actually had to be good at what each guild did in order to become their respective leaders. Case in point, my Ariella Etheranai character has never once leveled a magic skill from use (apart from enchanting), and somehow is the Arch Mage of the college. Not possible on Morrowind.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts