More newb questions...

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

folgore

Many thanks again to those who addressed my previous questions. This time I was wondering about the death of companions. I'm used to the Dragon Age games where a companion will be rendered unconscious in a fight but revive after the enemy is defeated. I assumed Skyrim was more or less the same. However, several times, I've come to the end of some hairy fights and found companion Lydia dead. Several times, I went back to old saves. Can a companion be killed by the enemy? Or only by friendly fire? (One possible cause: I have the Sofia mod installed and Sofia has evolved into a tough mage who likes to toss around fireballs. Given that Lydia was a sword and shield warrior, things could be bad if they went after the same target.

Also, what about item storage? I also like to loot and sell the excess. However, the PC's inventory is very limited. Do you have to do anything to increase your storage? I have the Sofia mod and she has an unlimited ability to carry extra stuff. Just curious if there's anything like that in vanilla game?

alceryes

With normal functionality, when followers are close to death and go down to one knee, they are no longer targeted by enemies. However, they can still be killed by area effect spells, traps, and the player.
Also, sometimes followers can be killed by attacks that are already in progress when they go down to one knee. Like several arrows already headed their way or a final enemie's power attack that started just before the follower went down.

There are a few followers who are permanently marked as essential. Mjoll the Lioness is one. These cannot be killed, aside from mods and console commands.

folgore

Thanks for the informative reply! I'm learning the hard way of the dangers of modded companions. I have Sofia installed. She is a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I let Sofia evolve into a mage rather than a rogue or warrior. She mindlessly sends fireballs towards enemies without considering friendlies in the area. I think she killed poor Lydia. I also just took her back to Riverton to meet up with Delphine to fight a dragon. When a wolf attacked Delphine, Sofia sent off a fireball that nailed Delphine, causing her to attack Sofia in retaliation! Oh what a tangled web we weave!

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
@alceryes Answered your first question really quite awesomely so I'll shoot after your second.

Carry weight is something in Vanilla Skyrim that can only be changed by either increasing your Stamina, wearing enchanted armor, blessings, or using powers such as Werewolf Form. You've already got a mod that aids this for you, so if you like having infinite carry weight, I wouldn't worry about it. There are also mods that make carry-weight a little more realistic or immersive. It's worth experimenting with!

Sah

Many thanks again to those who addressed my previous questions. This time I was wondering about the death of companions. I'm used to the Dragon Age games where a companion will be rendered unconscious in a fight but revive after the enemy is defeated. I assumed Skyrim was more or less the same. However, several times, I've come to the end of some hairy fights and found companion Lydia dead. Several times, I went back to old saves. Can a companion be killed by the enemy? Or only by friendly fire? (One possible cause: I have the Sofia mod installed and Sofia has evolved into a tough mage who likes to toss around fireballs. Given that Lydia was a sword and shield warrior, things could be bad if they went after the same target.

Also, what about item storage? I also like to loot and sell the excess. However, the PC's inventory is very limited. Do you have to do anything to increase your storage? I have the Sofia mod and she has an unlimited ability to carry extra stuff. Just curious if there's anything like that in vanilla game?

most common cause of followers death can be contributed to the Dragonborn (player) from frendly fire, but in saying that has see Falmer Warmungers kill followers,
all the followers that you buy 500 gold & all followers you get from doing a misc objective CAN DIE. there is a mod called Bring out your dead by Sir Arthmoor witch is a hall of the dead for fallen followers and NPC that die in the game.

Followers that have a quest line associated with them can not be killed especially if the have a role to play further down the track, example Aela, Falkas, Vilkas, Ciccero, Jarls, ext ext

most followers level up with you but has a limit usually level 50 the only NPC follower that continues to level up regardless is the Riekling King from the Dragonborn DLC ..... so if your level 200 so will he.

In general the gear the Followers have is crap and they can carry a limited amount of wight .........you can increase that by giving your followers enchanted items to wear that fortifies carry, you should also upgrade there weapons by giving them better ones. Fendal from riverwood has only a dagger & hunting bow, he dose wonders with a leveled up Ebony bow

In general followers are more of lets say a nuisance, the will charge into battle whether you like it or not, even asking a follower to wait will not stop the follower, if there is combat near by they will charge again into battle . and then there is the most annoying one were the go and stand in door ways & become a unmovable object.

this one hopes that helped

folgore

"

most common cause of followers death can be contributed to the Dragonborn (player) from frendly fire, but in saying that has see Falmer Warmungers kill followers,
all the followers that you buy 500 gold & all followers you get from doing a misc objective CAN DIE. there is a mod called Bring out your dead by Sir Arthmoor witch is a hall of the dead for fallen followers and NPC that die in the game.

Followers that have a quest line associated with them can not be killed especially if the have a role to play further down the track, example Aela, Falkas, Vilkas, Ciccero, Jarls, ext ext

most followers level up with you but has a limit usually level 50 the only NPC follower that continues to level up regardless is the Riekling King from the Dragonborn DLC ..... so if your level 200 so will he.

In general the gear the Followers have is crap and they can carry a limited amount of wight .........you can increase that by giving your followers enchanted items to wear that fortifies carry, you should also upgrade there weapons by giving them better ones. Fendal from riverwood has only a dagger & hunting bow, he dose wonders with a leveled up Ebony bow

In general followers are more of lets say a nuisance, the will charge into battle whether you like it or not, even asking a follower to wait will not stop the follower, if there is combat near by they will charge again into battle . and then there is the most annoying one were the go and stand in door ways & become a unmovable object.

"This one..." I've heard this recently, it's on the tip of my tongue...what is it a reference to? (Edit-- A possessed Sofia reference from DAO? Cool!)

Currently, my follower is Lydia, a tough Nord warrior, which is good for my PC - a Breton mage who could use a good tank while she tries to cast spells. If I release her to take another follower, where does she go in Whiterun in case I want to rehire my housecarl?

Reactions: Sah

Sah

"

"This one..." I've heard this recently, it's on the tip of my tongue...what is it a reference to? (Edit-- A possessed Sofia reference from DAO? Cool!)

Currently, my follower is Lydia, a tough Nord warrior, which is good for my PC - a Breton mage who could use a good tank while she tries to cast spells. If I release her to take another follower, where does she go in Whiterun in case I want to rehire my housecarl?

if you have bought Breezehome she will go there, if you have not bought it she will go to Dragonsreach and she will be most probably siting at one of the Jarls dinner tables

folgore

"

if you have bought Breezehome she will go there, if you have not bought it she will go to Dragonsreach and she will be most probably siting at one of the Jarls dinner tables

Thanks. That's what I thought. She seems like a good marriage prospect for endgame (not that I have any idea how that works! lol)

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
I believe the "this one" comment is more a reference to the Khajiit in Elder Scrolls. It is normal for them to speak in the third person--though you can sometimes find some that do not follow this rule all the time.

I would have to disagree with @Sah when it comes to followers however. It has to do with how you use them in encounters. If you have a warrior follower, of course what they are going to do is run all out into battle--that's what warriors are supposed to do; like Lydia or Farkas. The type of archetype/role the follower plays is important to take account of while you are playing the game, as well as how you use them to the best of their ability.

If you are a sneaky character, it could be useful to have either an archer type character or a warrior type character. Both are great to distract the enemy while you sneak around and flank them. Or, if you'd rather go into a dungeon and do some silent assassinations, you can have them just wait for you somewhere outside the area; and come get them once your job is done.

I've never once experienced a follower run into battle or follow me after I have told them to wait. But that is also because you need to have them wait somewhere where the aggro enemies won't trigger her to attack. All NPC AI are like this too. If you go into a city while there is a Vampire Attack, you'll see that only the guards and NPCs within a close proximity will attack. If you keep this in mind when controlling your character and your follower, you shouldn't have many problems.

You've played the Dragon Age games before, and if you've played DA: Inquisition, you'll already have some experience in thinking tactically with your characters. Another thing that I would recommend (unless you are playing mod-less for trophy's/achievements) is downloading some combat overhauls. They have a ton that are on all the available systems, and they heavily edit the AI of Enemies, Followers and NPCs. I'd also recommend a mod that stops all followers from dying, and makes them an essential character.

Now, I do believe I missed a question you posed a little bit ago, about storage and whatnot. Storage is relatively straight forward- you have carry-weight, your follower has carry-weight, and only you can increase your carry-weight. You do this by investing points into your stamina. You can also wear armor with fortify carry-weight enchantments on it to increase it further, and you can put the same enchantments on your follower as well.

There is also a bit of a glitch that you can do in order to give any follower unlimited carry-weight. You drop the item you want them to carry onto the ground, then get into the command mode for them, and have them pick the item up. Boom, even with their inventory full, they'll have that object in their inventory as well. (I'd recommend not dropping stacks of items--as they bundle together into one, and it might change to only one of the item rather than the actual amount that you dropped.)

Now, item storage is rather simple as well. You get access to safe storage in any house you purchase, or any guild room you get access to. Safe storage means exactly what it says, storage that never resets and deletes whatever items you put in there. Most storage in the open world is not safe, and will reset constantly--so avoid stashing your stuff in random barrels or chests unless you are certain it is safe.

Marriage is very straight forward. Travel to Riften, and go into the Bee and Barb Tavern. If this is your first time in the Tavern, you'll walk in on a priest--his name is Maramal--blabbering at everyone in the tavern about sins or something that isn't important; if not your first time in the tavern, you need to head to the Temple of Mara. Walk up to him, and start asking him about Mara--and eventually you will get the dialogue option along the lines of "I can have a wedding at the temple?" Then you'll get the option to buy an Amulet of Mara for base price of 200 gold. Once you buy it, put it on, and start talking to the man/woman you're interested in marrying. You'll see a new dialogue option appear upon talking to them, something like: "You're interested in me..." Then you can ask them to marry, and you can throw out that Amulet of Mara. Go back to Riften, find Maramal once more (now he'll usually be in the Temple, if not walking around), and tell him you'd like to have a wedding at the temple. He'll be pleased, and tell you to meet at the temple at some point the next day. Enter at the specified time, and then you'll start the ceremony. Pretty neat, ay?

Now I must let you know that you won't be able to marry any Khajiit, Bosmer, Male Redguard or Male Altmer; or Serana (without any mods, that is). Having a spouse has it's perks too. If your spouse has a house, talking to them after the ceremony they will offer to live there together (boom free safe storage). Your spouse will always be able to move to whatever house you have upon asking too, so no worries about that. Your spouse will start a shop, and you'll be able to collect some of your share of the gold every day; along with having them cook you something to eat once a day (usually something good). And if they are a follower, you can be out slaying dragons and making a mark on Skyrim with your lover. What's better than that?

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
Sorry about the huge text wall, I wanted to make sure I thoroughly answered the questions that you still had.

folgore

Sorry about the huge text wall, I wanted to make sure I thoroughly answered the questions that you still had.
No need to apologize...I greatly appreciate the information!! The gaming system of Skyrim is different than that for the Dragon Age games, so extra information helps! It goes without saying, going into situations in the game, I start with assumptions based on DA and end up finding out that Skyrim does things differently. Currently playing a mostly mage Breton. In DA, a mage desperately needs a powerful staff. In Skyrim, it seems not so much. I've acquired several staffs so far and always seem to get killed if I try to use them. I still haven't figured out spell scrolls so far.

One recommendation I might ask...Skyrim is my first Elder Scrolls game. Do I need to do the earlier games to get a feel for the lore? Or is the Lore not as critical in the Elder Scrolls world? In Skyrim, you pick up books which have some info, but they're a bit tedious to read so I don't read most.

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
Staff member
Mages don’t have to rely on staffs or scrolls—not necessarily anyway. You can always find the occasional rare staff, or powerful scroll, but the way the work is sort of intricate. Mainly mages rely on basic casting. You buy a spell tome, read it, and then you know the spell. You can find the spells in the magic category. You’ll always be able to use that spell, so long as you’re able to cast it. Scrolls, on the other hand, are different. The scrolls have a spell on it, however it can only be used once and the spell is destroyed. Staffs are somewhat a combination of the 2. It holds a spell which you can cast at will—no magicka is used—however it’s limited on how many times you can use it based on it’s charge. You can see an item’s charge by highlighting it, and looking for the thin gray meter within it’s description. The lower the meter, the less uses you’ll have. You can recharge it with filled soul gems, which are of several different grades. You can either buy them, or get a soul trap weapon, or even learn the soul trap spell!

As for playing the previous games, it’s not necessary honestly. The beauty of the ES series is it’s vast coverage of lore from game to game. If you want some backstory and history, try to read every book you find. Even collect them if you wish (it plays into roleplaying a mage ;)). If you want more depth in the world, however, I’d totally recommend playing them—but don’t feel like you have to in order to understand Skyrim. Morrowind and Oblivion are the other more popular 2 games in the series, while Arena and Daggerfall along with the anthology games are a little less popular due to their age. I’ve played all of them countless times, and can’t get over how much I love the world and lore. I hope you will too! Just take it all in at your own pace and eventually you’ll learn a lot.

alceryes

In addition to @Specter of Death's answer, the efficiency of 'charge usage' of a staff is dictated by your level in the appropriate skill. I.e. if you have a destruction skill of 100 you will get A LOT more uses out of a staff of fireball (before you need to refill it) than if your destruction skill was 25.
Unfortunately, mages in Skyrim are less powerful than their similarly leveled and equipped melee character, overall. Don't let that deter you though. You can definitely become powerful. You'll just need to work at it a bit harder. Instead of spreading your perks over all your mage skills, really focus on destruction and conjuration for the first 25-30 levels or so. If you aren't wearing armor (no true mage would) you'll also need to train alteration and get the mage armor and stability perk's ASAP.
The lord stone is one of the best standing stones and stays useful throughout the game. Although, I usually switch to the atronach above level 40 or so. I never take the stones that train your skills faster because I enjoy slow level progression. Remember, many enemies will level WITH you so gaining levels faster is not always a good thing!
Bretons are, of course, the master race so you picked correctly there ;). Remember to USE your dragonskin ability regularly. If you're not using it you aren't taking advantage of being a Breton. Be sure to progress through the College of Winterhold questline ASAP, as well. You pick up a pretty good staff, are able to easily '5-finger' one of the best robes in the game, and gain access to many, many good spells. Also do the quest 'A scroll for Anska' - it gives you a spell that's very useful at lower levels.

I could keep going but will stop there. Don't forget to have fun! :Dragonborn:

Edit - About past TES games. You definitely don't need to play past games to enjoy Skyrim. There may be subtle references that you might not get but they will still be funny/cool. All TES games are created to be full games in and of themselves. I would even advise AGAINST taking on Morrowind or Oblivion just because TES games are traditionally massive sandboxes that you could spend hundreds and hundreds of hours in.
Play Skyrim to it's fullest. Then play it again and again and again. No need to go back to an older game.
Oh, and @Specter of Death's recommendation to read all the books you find, is an excellent one. You'll get some TES lore and great stories!

Last edited:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts