1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums. You totally should register so you can experience everything our community offers. We have various resources related to Skyrim which include a massive array of Guides and Tutorials. If you're here just for the discussion you can check out our General Skyrim Discussion section or if you're here for help you can check out our Skyrim Help section. We also have the latest Skyrim News and fun stuff like Roleplaying and even a Skyrim Fan Fiction section!

Are you here to discuss Dawnguard? You may discuss it by signing up and checking out this section.

So if you love Skyrim you should join for sure. Click the 'Sign Up' button on the right to register your account. You can register with your Facebook or Steam account.

Mods on the consoles?

Discussion in 'Skyrim Mods' started by MellowGuy, Oct 23, 2011.

1. MellowGuy

MellowGuy Member

As you might already have heard, Bethesda is trying to push for allowing Skyrim mods to be allowed on the consoles. We all know that modding on the console IS possible but usually illegal and can cause the player to be banned. A number of pc gamers also enjoy this "edge" over their console cousins. How do you guys feel about this?
    • Like Like x 1
    Jack Fulham likes this.
  2. Renegader

Renegader Administrator Staff Member

I don't understand how these mods will be installed though. It will be a hassle to put them on your USB then transfer it to the game, right? Or will there be some sort of way to download it in Skyrim's interface?
  3. MellowGuy

MellowGuy Member

• Like Like x 2
  4. hexperiment

hexperiment The Experimentalist

I don't see it happening though. Just seeing how valve never managed to get any updates for team fortress on console, I just assume console companies are pretty set on no free community contents.
  5. Hellfire

Hellfire Member

Lets just keep our hopes up, if there are gonna be mods on consoles, awsome! if not, still awsome
    • Like Like x 1
    Renegader likes this.
  6. Jeruhmi

Jeruhmi Member

I thought this sort of stuff on Xbox would require a jtag?
  7. N3w_2_$kyr1min

N3w_2_$kyr1min Can't wait for Skyrim

I hope for 360's gamers sakes that they can get mod support. Mods make so much difference after you've played the game quite a lot, they make it interesting again, remove common annoyances, and give you more content to play with! It's one of the main reasons I'm getting it on PC and not 360.
  8. Jeruhmi

Jeruhmi Member

I think mod support for the 360 would mean either installing it through a USB, or maybe you could get popular ones through the marketplace. Who knows!
  9. Stonkey

Stonkey New Member

I'm fairly doubtful that mods will come to consoles (in large numbers at least). PC is the best way to play anyways though.
  10. hexperiment

I agree though I think console might has some advantages... Like having no quick-save and quick-load feature. That really ruins the flow of the game for me honestly
  11. Jeruhmi

Jeruhmi Member

I think mods should be only for the PC so each platform has its own pros and cons.
  12. Demut

Demut Veritas vos liberabit

In a recent interview they said something along the lines of “The most popular PC mods will be made available as downloads (like a DLC) for the console versions”, I think. I don’t remember where this was mentioned though.
  13. Jeruhmi

Jeruhmi Member

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Nerraw One: 1 Point Feb 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
    Nerraw One likes this.
  14. hexperiment

Hmm, if that is true, it might be still tough... Mods are usually pretty glitchy and it will go through many process of updating them before it becomes finalized, which is usually never when a particular mod is big. I am doubtful but if mods were possible for consoles, this is indeed a very good news for gamers who got them for consoles because their PC wasn't good enough.
  15. Demut

Demut Veritas vos liberabit

Semi-related: Luckily these problems would become obsolete if Unlimited Detail lives up to expectations. After all, they claim that it will work the same on all consoles and that designing games for them will require much less people as in: no extra developer team for each console.
  16. Jeruhmi

Jeruhmi Member

Meh, I just think that mods should only be for PC users. My opinion will hold it :p
    I do own a console, so I'm not being biased. I just think it's more fitting for the PC.
  17. N3w_2_$kyr1min

N3w_2_$kyr1min Can't wait for Skyrim

IMO the biggest advantage which consoles is local multiplayer.. most PC games don't even support it. But I usually game on my own, or online with people, so thats why I primarily play on PC. :)
  18. hexperiment

I was talking strictly about Skyrim since its single player but yeah, I think consoles the best if you want to play a game with 3 of your friends. I also like how I can just lay down on a couch and relax. Can't do the same when I'm on PC because if I lay back, it's not really comfortable. Unless you are using a laptop like I do but still.
  19. Vimalamitra

Vimalamitra Professional complainer

If you are not happy with your console, why don't go for a Winner? That way, you can be winner yourself! Only for you my friend

http://kotaku.com/5587577/why-are-consoles-banned-in-china

Two things, amongst many others, what I dislike about consoles, are strict restrictions and lack of mod community.
  20. Flamingtaco

Flamingtaco Active Member

THe creation kit would work, the problem is how to get the mods on the consoles since Bethesda can't take the time to publish it on psn/xbla. Maybe in time if the consoles don't die out they will make a method of downloading and isntalling mods straight from the game. Otherwise they could make a tool which allows you to install them if you plug it in on a usb or something.