Modern Dwemer Character Build w/Origin

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Desertpunk

Lost Son of the Dwemer (V2)

The goal of this appearance is make a unique looking Mer, and this template will not appear like any other Bosmer or Elf in the game.

Lore wise the Dwemer looked more so like modern Dunmer but for reasons I'll go into below choosing a Bosmer will allow for a more stand out appearance. As for race skill bonus's; this isn't Morrowind folks they can be easily overcame in a short time even minus exploits or grinding.

Build
Race: Bosmer (male)

Step 1
On the appearance scales for this template 0 represents the option farthest to the left.

Choose preset 5 to begin

Skin Tone 0
Weight 10
Complexion 0
Dirt 0
Dirt Color 0
Scars 0
War Paint 6 or 13 both work well
War Paint Color 4 (Blends into Skin Color)

Step 2
Adjust face as you wish but I kept the default face shape of the preset.

Step 3
Hair 9
Face Hair 36 or 37
Color 11

Now you will be looking at a appearance that will pass for a Dwemer. Please note Yagrum Bagarn as my inspiration for this color choice even if he is a tad more gray.

Skills

Skills to focus on
Smithing is a high priority, I suggest maxing it out before returning the Lexicon to achieve a added bonus to crafting. It's no secret with any mythology even TES that Dwarves are master smiths and should put Eorlund Gray-Mane to shame.

Next Enchanting to 100 to create some truely legendary Weapons and Armor. See guides on Enchanting on how to do this, needless to say there is a enchant option for smithing.
-- Not necessary but you can also boost smithing via Alchemy.

Heavy Armor while not required at max should not be ignored since Dwarven Armor is classed as Heavy.

1-Handed and 2 Handed skill sets should be boosted to respectiful levels depending on your taste for combat (I use both). For 1-Handed I suggest a Sword and for 2-Handed a Battle Axe. However when wielding the Battle Axe wear a helm, the headbutt kill screen looks absurd without one. Given TES lore and in game artifacts Dwemers did not shy away from melee combat.

Other Skills
Lockpickng, Dwemer where masters of smithing I think that would make them ideal locksmiths.

Archery, not to be used as a primary combat skill but worth boosting, although if you have Dawnguard then please use the Dwarven Crossbow.

Misc.
This character is male, feel free to make a female but you're are your own appearance wise.

NPC's will refer to you as a Bosmer or Wood Elf, this makes since on it's own but I will also provide reasoning below in the origin details below. Where a Dwemer to walk the roads of modern Skyrim even a researcher who has devoted their life to the Dwemer would simply think them another mer. Same if you saw a Snow Elf walking down the street you'd assume it was a pale Altmer.

And lastly even after reading this origin below remember this is your rp, your Dwemer is your character and not bound to the Dwemer of the past outside of blood. Fight, serve and live as you see fit, it is your choice.

Also the Origin I have created blends well into other Dwemer and even some Daedra quests. I wont spoil anything here but trust me I picked the right antagonist for your Dwemer character.

-----------------------------
Origin of the Lost Son.
--------------------------------
After the Battle of Red Mountain the Dwemer vanished from Tamriel. Yet extinct was not a true statement....
Yagrum Bagarn survived for ages in the Vvardenfell section of Morrowind, Yagrum survived because he was in another dimension at the time, an undescribed "Outer Realm", and had been looking for his people ever since with no success. Yagrum is believed to have died during the eruption of Red Mountain. Yet even him aside Dwemer spirits and spectre's roamed the land of Tamriel. The most famous being Dahrk Mezalf who haunted the ruins of Bthungthumz until meeting his fate at the hands of the Nerevarine.

What happened to the Dwemer? It's said even the Devines and Daedra do not know, and given the once thought extinct Snow Elves where found to be the forebearers to the Falmer it seems you can never really be too sure about life on Nirn.

The secrets of the Dwemer are a treasured item, even to a Daedric lord. Hermaeus Mora thirsted for their secrets, their knowledge, yet even he could not bring back the Dwemer who had vanished so long ago....However in a vault deep in the heart of Black Reach a human servant/cattle of the Falmer stumbled across a sealed laboratory. Old Hermaeus Mora was instantly intrigued, Mora promised this cattle freedom and knowledge for his service. The cattle worked tirelessly for his master until the seal was broken. Mora then gave the cattle his freedom but as he turned the corner the Falmer struck this betrayer, Mora's knowledge always has a price after all it seems.

What Mora found inside delighted him, secrets of the Dwemer's blood itself. He could create his own Dwemer, use him to discover those secrets he had longed for.

Mora grew his Dwemer Kin in the belly of a Bosmer women, and upon birth destroyed her. The child grew to adulthood in under a day and began to wander the woods under the shadow of "The Throat of the World". Mora had given his Dwemer a old Alchemists shack and watched his mind grow and flourish. Yet Mora was displeased this Dwemer had been tainted by his mother. He was too much like a Bosmer, or perhaps his Dwemer blood which was kin to those who defied the gods themselves made his mind his own and not easily controlled.

Mora decided the only way to obtain these secrets was to let the Dwemer call to their lost son. He set his servants loose activating every Dwemer ruin in Skyrim. With this urge to explore his Dwemer side the lost son gave himself a name he found in a book and departed for answers. However near Dark Water Crossing he fell into a ambush at the hands of the empire, he was gagged and routed to a wagon for execution, forced to the hold of Helgen he waited for some sort of salvation.
---------------------------------
Dwemer Names
Samples
Bthuand
Dumac
Kagrenac
Radac
Yagrum
Nchunak

Adding a ACK Sound (Spelled ac) seems to be on track. Just spitballing here but following the examples above names like Jthuack, Kynac, Kthrac would be hard to pronounce but not out of line. Then again this is a modern Dwemer, he might take a modern name.
-----------------------------------------
Combat tactics and Personality

Begin the game a bit niave on the world, let instinct take over. If you've had multiple playthroughs like me this won't be a problem. Remember your character is a man-child when the game begins. He doesn't understand why people want him dead, but his instinct and ancestors memories shine through.

If you run into trouble defend yourself, don't go picking fights, let the others attack first. If you run across a bandit camp and they tell you to back away or leave your character will be confused and walk toward them anyway trying to reach a understanding. Once they attack you then fight back.

Once in Riverwood do not go directly to Whiterun and spawn Dragons. Chop some wood, do some tasks, explore and come to terms with this new world. Your character is a fast learner so don't play up the man-child aspect for too long. As he experiences events and fights for his own life he'll come to understand the world sooner than later.

While I said you should not start fights keep in mind if Bandits attack you, or slay a follower or townsfolk your Dwemer character will loose his temper instantly and fight, charging in no matter the numbers.

His mother was a Bosmer and he grew up in (for Skyrim) one of the most peaceful regions of the map. He is not the type to harrass or kill animals for no reason, but will defend himself or hunt them when needed. He also would not be cruel to a stranger or a child, atleast in the beginning he is as far from a villian as you could ask.

Now later on he will come into conflict between his beliefs and his Dwemer bonds. He will embrace his ancestry to a point but come into conflict with the Dwemers cold and calculating nature. At this point you can choose to fight the good fight or practice a more Dwemer way of life and look out for you and your own.

Lastly when it comes to marriage not matter the race of your wife or the fact your children will be Nords the fact remains they are yours. As a Dwemer you are fiercely protective of your kin and would deal swiftly with any who attempt to harm them.
--------------------------
On being Dragonborn
I picked Mora as the antagonist for a reason, it'd be in spoiler territory for those who do not have the Dragonborn DLC but the tie in should be obvious.

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
Welcome to the forums Desertpunk! I will say I am a little confused about choosing the Bosmer when it comes to matching skin color. The picture within the link you provided seems to look a little more like it would match a Dunmer, but this is just my opinion. The main point of which race to choose is that it's an Elf and you gave good reason for it. As for the female Dwarf visual, I stumbled upon this fan art:​

tumblr_ly5m1kecU71r8zfyfo1_1280.jpg

So if you wanted to recreate a female Dwarf, this would be the best visual to try to replicate. I don't see anything about your build that has remotely any spoilers in it, albeit the Snow Elf part. So I wouldn't put mild spoilers or anything of the sort unless it's discovery of new content related or usage of new DLC that others don't have access to (which there are DLC-specific Discussion boards to post that kind of thing). I like that you provided Dwemer name examples. Really helpful for those that want to role-play a Dwarf.

I suggest if you're going to do more "Character Builds" to list more necessary skills with a little reasoning behind them. I have seen many builds where the builder says "choose what skills you want" to play this build. It's a very lazy approach that I strongly suggest to avoid. If the viewer doesn't necessarily agree with the choices you made, they can create their version of it to suit their gaming preference.

Your backstory is actually a much more refreshing one compared to some I've seen in The Skyrim Blog. Aside from a few spelling errors, I like it! One thing I will suggest when you have finally chosen skills that you believe best portray your build is to have a game-play section and describe how it will handle various situations. If you'd like, you can PM me next time you want to post a Character Build as I would be willing to help.

Desertpunk

Thanks for the feedback, I just replaced the older one with a version 2. As for the grammar mistakes, what can I say grammar is my own personal arch enemy lol.

Ivory

Let's Player
I'll have to try this, I definitely have been wanting to make a dwemer build.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Nice guide! I'll have to try out the settings you provided for character creation. The names and story provided were also very interesting!

I've done my own dwemer guide if you're interested. It focuses more on items and skills.

Dwemer Warrior | Skyrim Forums

My own dwemer character is an orc girl who ran away from Largashbur, where her only prospect was becoming the chief's fourth or fifth wife, to pursue the secrets of the dwemer. Her interest was drawn to them when she saw the party from Unfathomable Depths slaughtered by their machines. I made her class a sword / shield, destro / resto spellsword, but I want to try out an archer class with a Dwemer Crossbow, Zephyr, or the Dwarven Black Bow of Fate.

Desertpunk

Nice guide! I'll have to try out the settings you provided for character creation. The names and story provided were also very interesting!

I've done my own dwemer guide if you're interested. It focuses more on items and skills.

Dwemer Warrior | Skyrim Forums

My own dwemer character is an orc girl who ran away from Largashbur, where her only prospect was becoming the chief's fourth or fifth wife, to pursue the secrets of the dwemer. Her interest was drawn to them when she saw the party from Unfathomable Depths slaughtered by their machines. I made her class a sword / shield, destro / resto spellsword, but I want to try out an archer class with a Dwemer Crossbow, Zephyr, or the Dwarven Black Bow of Fate.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check your thread out and comment there.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
For those archer dwemer, do you prefer zephyr, the dwarven black bow of fate, or a dwarven crossbow?

Desertpunk

I love longbows usually but for a subterranean warrior with no compact bow I prefer the Crossbow. That's just me though, and my Dwemer does own a Legendary Dwemer Bow he found in a vault and upgraded.

Thanks to Hearthfire he also has a blacksmith shop north of Whiterun with show room (Armory) lol.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
I love longbows usually but for a subterranean warrior with no compact bow I prefer the Crossbow. That's just me though, and my Dwemer does own a Legendary Dwemer Bow he found in a vault and upgraded.

Thanks to Hearthfire he also has a blacksmith shop north of Whiterun with show room (Armory) lol.

I love the crossbow. I super smithed & enchanted it to do 288 damage with 60 points of fire & frost in addition to the 50% armor penetration. It fired like an explosion and then exploded with its enchantment and the exploding bolt effect upon impact. In short it was very fun to use and made Skyrim feel like a steampunk shooter.

I would encourage you to check out Zephyr - The Elder Scrolls Wiki and the Dwarven Black Bow of Fate - The Elder Scrolls Wiki as well. Zephyr fires 30% faster than a normal dwarven bow with 2 higher base damage (14 > 12). The black bow has 1 higher base damage than a dwarven bow (13 > 12) with an unique enchantment and appearance. The enchantment has a 50% chance to absorb 25 health, stamina, and/or magicka. The chance is independent for each stat, so you can absorb all three, two, one, or none on each hit. It's appearance is, spoiler alert, a black dwarven bow. it has a unique red / orange constellation-like glow effect that fades in and out, it's quite beautiful really.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts