PC Modding with ModOrg2 and Nvidia GTX 1070

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Sledge

I've modded Skyrim lots in the past, with lesser graphics cards.
Meanwhile I have a newer PC, a GTX 1070 and windows 10.
I cannot for the life of me get Skyrim to work with mods.
I have tried several ENB's, I've tried with SweetFX. I've even tried some working backups of earlier modded versions - nothing works right.
I either get 'Failed to initialise renderer. Unkown error creating the renderer', or 'The application was unable to start correctly (lots of numbers), Click ok to close the application'

I'm using MOD ORG 2 and all the latest versions of patches/mods.
So I stripped everything back down to the standard patches, and USLEEP.
Game started. Added ENB. (Currently T.A.Z. Visual Overhaul).
Game started every 2nd time roughly.

Added a couple of weather mods, like true storms, real clouds, realistc water2 etc. Game still starts every 2nd or third time.

What happens is once I click on the start SKSE button, it flashes up the 'Mod Org locked' message briefly, then closes again. Click on it a 2nd time it loads, black loading screen, get the skyrim emblem, and then crashes before the menu appears. Remove the mods one at a time, restart until it works again. Add a different mod, same crap all over - it's not consistant - I can't tie the fail down to any one mod, or any one ENB. It's like its moody - works whenever it feels like it - but once I get over a handful of 'basic' mods (mods that I've used over the years and I KNOW work, and work well together), it fails to start again. Sometimes by fluke I'll get it to run, but then the next 20 times it won't start again...
I'm pulling my hair out. Papyrus logs don't help - there's only three lines in them that tell me nothing. I honestly don't know what to do. I'm beginning to think it's a combination of Windows 10 and nvidia's drivers for the GTX 1070. It's the only major thing that's changed really...
Anyone else have experience with this, or any ideas what might be happening?
As I said, I'm no stranger to modding skyrim, been doing it for years now, successfully.
I get no errors with loot, all mods are squeaky clean, TES5Edit (V4) finds no errors. Everything looks picture book correct. But no matter what mods I choose - it just won't run or start reliably.

Specs:
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770 K @ 3.50 GHz 54 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock Z87 Extreme4 (CPU Socket) 43 °C
Graphics
NV Surround (5760 x 1080 @ 60 Hz)
4095 MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 ZOTAC 57 °C

Look forward to hearing from you
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts